• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recoil Assembly Nightmares

R
Jan 25, 2022
Boise
I have had three recoil assembly failures in 3 rides... The first one was my fault completely. The bolt backed out after I installed a new rope and it grenaded the side of the case in 3 miles. Then I installed a recoil assembly from SP1 instead of using Polaris parts. The new SP1 failed about half way into the first ride. The spring that returns the arm popped out of its groove and bound the armature such that it would not engage when the rope was pulled. So I spent the rest of the day idling or wrapping a strap and pulling from the clutch; total PITA. I pulled it off and returned it for a replacement one thinking it was just a defective part and no there was no way another one would fail. I was wrong. The replacement failed after maybe 20-30 pulls half way through the day yesterday. Pulled it off and the same spring failed! Moral of the story is don't try to save money by buying knock off parts. I should have just bought a used stock one off ebay. I've never heard of the stock assemblies failing unless someone had fiddled with them or replaced a rope wrong.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I've found you need to be real careful when sourcing certain aftermarket items. The top four that come to mind are aftermarket clutches, aftermarket stators, aftermarket clutch rebuild kits, and your instance, aftermarket recoil parts. Steer clear and you'll have way less bad days on the snow!!!

Premium Features