• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ratcheting problem w/ Turbo Dragon

J
May 20, 2008
I have a 09 dragon 163 w/bd pump gas turbo, intercooler, 8-9 lbs of boost. The track started ratcheting from day number one. I tightened it up which lasted for a while. I looked at the center of my track where the anti ratchet driver rides and all of the rubber is gone and the fiberglass rods are showing with less than 100 miles. Polaris says just keep tightening it. I have to tighten the track about every ride now. how long will the track continue to stretch? I have thought about another drive shaft (wahl) with the tried and true 2 anti-ratchet drivers instead. Any one else have this problem or any solutions? Thanks.

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
Same here it will keep on stretching for good wile so I carry the 9/16 with me just incase it starts again you can do a quick re-tighten. I am going with Avids on mine this summer just to be safe and so I can loosen the track a touch also the Timbersled skid helped with mine I don't have any issues till I get in the 8-10lbs+ of boost.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I have 1700 miles on mine and the track has never been tightened or ratcheted from acceleration. I did just break 2 teeth off the top gear because my chain was too loose though.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i've got 2000 plus miles on mine w/ stock drivers all at 10-14lbs of boost... the only time mine has ever ratcheted is when i have broken limiter straps or they have been too lose

J
May 20, 2008
Are you guys thinking 2 avid anti-ratchet drivers and take off the 2 drivers and 1 ani-ratchet that are stock and use the stock shaft?

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I went with two 3.0 pitch Avids last season with a Camo Extreme track and still have not had a ratchet. I believe you can get them in 2.86 pitch now to jive with your OEM 5.1 track. I don't think you would regret putting in a set. Good luck. EW

100_4818.jpg

J
May 20, 2008
Is that the stock drive shaft. I my 09 it doesn't look like the splines go all the way to the outer windows. The outer drivers stock don't line up with the outer windows.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Avids are the only way to go for sure.How they work on the newer sleds one has a blank offset (for lack of a better term) And they work, never ratchett again.Listen To EW

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Is that the stock drive shaft. I my 09 it doesn't look like the splines go all the way to the outer windows. The outer drivers stock don't line up with the outer windows.

That shaft is actually out of my sons 07 D7 which did not have the center extro. i gave him my complete OEM 08 163" skid, track, shaft/drivers for his 07 155" when I went to an M-10 with a Camo Extreme track. The shafts are the same spline wise, you just dont see the marks from the center driver that my 08 had. You might want to ask Avid if you will need an anti-stab kit or rail trim job with the stock skid / Avid combo. With the Avids you will have extros in line with the rail tips. The M-10 was set back further than the stock skid and I dropped to 7 tooth 3.0 vs 8 tooth 2.86 which was stock so I had no issues with driver/rail clearance. You will want to be sure that its not an issue with stock stuff as well.

I dont believe spline lengh changed from 08 to 09, but better let MountainHorse or one of the other Guru's chime in on that. Your outer drivers dont line up with the outer windows because only the center one drives in the window (what I'm calling an extrovert) the 2 outers drive on the track lugs only (can't remember the name for that style). I do know a quick call to Avid will have all your questions answered, they know their stuff. Have a good one. EW

Last edited:

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
You will have to cut the rails back but it is not hard to do and many say to put ther anti stab kit on .I just happen to have a brand new one if your interested.

J
May 20, 2008
Thanks for all of the help guys. Just spoke with Avid and ordered the anti-ratchet drivers and anti stab kit. Thanks again everyone for the input.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Thanks for all of the help guys. Just spoke with Avid and ordered the anti-ratchet drivers and anti stab kit. Thanks again everyone for the input.

You'll be very happy.....you'll be able to loosen up that track a bit and have much better track speed vs the banjo tight track you have to run with the stock junk driver setup. We ran 14lbs with a loose track and no ratcheting.

I

IdahoPowderHound

Jul 3, 2008
Alpine Wyoming
yea i have my track set loose as i can. Avids with anti-stab kit and Mountain Addiction skid and it never ratchets. 10 lbs boost @ 220 hp:cool:You never want that track to be tight i dont care what polaris says, you cant have it tight with that much torque.

Premium Features