• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rail Extensions?

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
I am stretching out my VE from a 159 to a 174. Can somebody throw up some pictures of their 7 or 7.5" Rail extension. I'd like to see how thick the material is and how many bolts were used and where the bolts are located. Thanks,
Andy

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Dont waste your time with extensions....

Sell your rails to someone who wants to extend their sled to a 159 for about $200 and buy a set of Ice Age Rails for $300 delivered... you'll be way ahead in the strength and weight department and have a much cleaner look too at about the same price.

Just a few years back... Rail extensions were the only way to go for longtracking.... but now, OEM or better quality rails ARE available at a VERY affordable price.

The 174 only comes in a 2.5" tall lug.... you'll need to D&R the chaincase for that. (Carls may have some Holz D&R's available still for that chassis OR... Maybe you can call Holz directly and see if they have any unsold ones (no longer on their site)... worth a try.

Email Mike Johnson at Ice Age...

mike@wiktel.com

He'll set you up... tell him Mountainhorse sent you.

Last edited:

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
It will cost me zero $ to make rail extensions except my time in machining them. I already have them designed in Solidworks so it shouldn't take but a couple of hours to machine them from billet and then I'll have a sweet custom look too.

I guess I could sell my 159 rails but then finding a buyer poses issues and Ice Age said they did not have anything in stock for a 174

The 174 also comes in 3" as well. I have a 174 x 3" that will be installed along with a Extended Chaincase from Avid Products.

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
Here's a JPEG of my design, will look pretty cool except my 8" wheels will hide the majority of it....

Premium Features