• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

twin rail Elevate notes

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Tons of positive reviews to read out there, not much about the install.

got the 162 rails, weighed in about a pound heavier per side than stock. much more sturdy feeling rail, partly due to the extra 'I beam' section above the hyfax, which is why you need to notch the two front idler mounts deeper to accept. but i tossed those on the shelf.
Followed the vague instruction on cutting the hyfax at the front to fit, came out with a small gap between the rail caps and hyfax. darn, oh well its fine, but the step up from cap to the large new hyfax was not, so ground the leading edges to make a smooth transition there. Kicking myself for not seeing if I could have used my original black hyfax by simply drilling a new mount hole in them. I prefer the more streamlined cat hyfax to these big blocky polaris style.

Jynxed myself thinking those self tapper torqx head hyfax mounting screws were kinda chinsey for such a beefy rail. Proceded to snap one off just as it was almost home. Drilled it out to accept a pan-head allen bolt and found a decent fitting nylock nut to fit in the access hole they put in them there. liked it enough to do both sides. roughly a 7/16" nut, hold it from spinning with a flat blade until it snugs up and then tighten down, easy peasy.
Next up was filing the rear axle holes wide enough to fit the stock axle blocks. Why? Just why?

OK put skid back in now and cant wait to try! Thanks Ice Age for selling me the rails alone, if you need someone to type up some informative directions I would do that for ya. Also, just install the dang hyfax! Or at least cut them to fit. Could offer them with or without hyfax perhaps, then the consumer pays the extra time.
So you get rid of the front limiter strap cross bar and use the anti-stab bar for that now, I like it if lasts!
Cheers

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Ice Age has always had issues with instructions (or lack thereof). If I remember correctly the webs on the Ice Age rails match the Polaris web width. Which is the widest and strongest option of the different sled manufacturers. So I don't think the Cat hyfax fits and is the reason they supply new Polaris hyfax.

The axle slots in the new Ice Age rails I got for my Kmod skid aren't wide enough to fit the TKI axle blocks either. Even though the TKI ones fit the stock painted rails just fine. I measured the slot width and it's almost like they were using an end mill that wasn't actually 1/2" dia to cut the slot. Like a re-sharpened tool or something that wasn't compensated for.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
As mentioned above the reason for the bigger "blocky" style hyfax is that the IceAge rails use Polaris profile ribs. The hyfax ends up big to get over the much wider rib. If I recall correctly they are about 50% wider then the cat setup. Massive structural gains from this alone.

Its easy to take the OEM cat rails and bend them in half over your knee. Try it with the elevate rails, you'll be stoked on that extra 2# in the kit.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
well i was a couple beers deep but i did pull a cat hyfax to see if it would work and it went on the rail fine. slid it all way up and found the mount hole would not work (cat puts them right at the end)
Hind sight maybe coulda just drilled a new hole in them further back and gone with it, but i just moved on.
too late to care now, shes ready to rip!
If anyone needs stock cat 162 rails with good hyfax, Let me know.

Premium Features