• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

racers edge solutoin for rear skid is finally here!!

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
So anyone have any seat time on this skid mod for the turbo's?

I've seen them work, if I were building another sled I would definately run one. Buddy put one on his T Nytro, and his T Apex, he did both sleds for the same price it would cost to buy a high end M10. Best part is, they utilize stock rails, sliders, front shock and swingarm, mounting, etc, etc. Can eliminate tipped up rails by adding larger rear wheels. Great tuneability with the shock he uses. If you wanted to put in a 174, I'm sure you could use Ice Age rails?
:beer;:beer;, AA

Last edited:
P
Nov 28, 2007
in a town
this thread is pretty funny...by the looks of it this skid would work quite well but i sure hope so for 2 grand. and on the timbersled topic i dont know about most of you but i sure noticed that it only takes one higher up person on here to say its amazing and the next thing every one has one like klim clothing, timbersled, 509 goggles etc bunch of wagon jumpers imo.

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
this thread is pretty funny...by the looks of it this skid would work quite well but i sure hope so for 2 grand. and on the timbersled topic i dont know about most of you but i sure noticed that it only takes one higher up person on here to say its amazing and the next thing every one has one like klim clothing, timbersled, 509 goggles etc bunch of wagon jumpers imo.

I wouldnt trust any persons word on this forum. lol
If I dont try it, I dont buy it :beer;

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
I don't want to bash anything but when I saw the pic on page 1 I thought, "What a great idea!". Then later I saw the price and my opinion changed. I've got an M-10 and with this kit you are basically getting a stripped down version of the back half of an M-10.

I think it is an elegant design and I really like the way it melds onto a stock rear skid. But, I also think it is too much money for what you are getting. What brand shock does it use?

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I don't want to bash anything but when I saw the pic on page 1 I thought, "What a great idea!". Then later I saw the price and my opinion changed. I've got an M-10 and with this kit you are basically getting a stripped down version of the back half of an M-10.

I think it is an elegant design and I really like the way it melds onto a stock rear skid. But, I also think it is too much money for what you are getting. What brand shock does it use?

the shock is a custom built shock that darryl has built just for this setup. the setup ain't for everyone, it's worked great for the guys who have bought and used it. it's a good chunk of change to purchase, but another alternative in the rear skid aftermarket world. don't remember that last mod that I've done that was cheap. They all cost money, and the feedback is coming in with great reviews. sled on!!

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
I PUT THIS On MY M7 174'' . First hill bottomed out at bottom, came down turned clicker 2 notches,dialed in. So easy to adjust. 2 clickers on shock,one for compression,one for rebound.

P

prowlerk

Dec 3, 2007
Okotoks
I PUT THIS On MY M7 174'' . First hill bottomed out at bottom, came down turned clicker 2 notches,dialed in. So easy to adjust. 2 clickers on shock,one for compression,one for rebound.

I did the same thing on my Nytro, came down the hill 2 clicks and it works awesome. Those of you who question the difference between this setup versus a Timbersled skid there is no comparison!! I took my Timbersled off to try it it and will never look back. I cannot compare to the M-10 because I have never rode one but this suspension does keep the front end down in steep and deep. As far as roughness on the trail I don't care cause they are usually groomed nowadays! But it is like everything else, personal preference is what is important and the kind of riding you like to do. Not saying anyone suspension is better than the other just my personal preference.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I did the same thing on my Nytro, came down the hill 2 clicks and it works awesome. Those of you who question the difference between this setup versus a Timbersled skid there is no comparison!! I took my Timbersled off to try it it and will never look back. I cannot compare to the M-10 because I have never rode one but this suspension does keep the front end down in steep and deep. As far as roughness on the trail I don't care cause they are usually groomed nowadays! But it is like everything else, personal preference is what is important and the kind of riding you like to do. Not saying anyone suspension is better than the other just my personal preference.

good to hear the last couple of replies. I had the m-10 on 3 of my sleds and it worked great. you factor in cost of m-10 and have it mounted properly with m-10 brackets(if you want it to work right) your going to be into a basic m-10 3 g's plus. this setup at 2 g's isn't such a bad deal. It's been stated that the timbersled is a great setup and a light setup. it's just another great option.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nope, I meant, anytime you want car vs car. Truck vs Truck. Sled vs Sled. Bike vs Bike, even DECK VS DECK, or Trailer vs Trailer, just let me know....PINK SLIPS ONLY!

You got a small weiner or something???LMAO you got something to prove there???? grow up!!

Last edited:
P

prowlerk

Dec 3, 2007
Okotoks

I'd pay $2000 all day if it is gonna give me the same results as the M-10!!

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
From what Ive seen the timbersled does not hold the front of a Turbo Apex down at all, mabye slightly better than stock hard to say.Cr m-10 skis stick down like glue and the m-10 set up correctly soaks up the bumps.If this set up works thats awsome cause there sure sucks throwing away stock suspension everytime I buy a sled.

H

Hrt Offroad

Nov 3, 2008
Okotoks, Alberta Canada
the shock is a custom built shock that darryl has built just for this setup. the setup ain't for everyone, it's worked great for the guys who have bought and used it. it's a good chunk of change to purchase, but another alternative in the rear skid aftermarket world. don't remember that last mod that I've done that was cheap. They all cost money, and the feedback is coming in with great reviews. sled on!!

The shock is made by QA1 and it doesn't look like it is very custom built. It looks as though it comes from a hot rod application with a little different valving (maybe). It's a 2.0 with a standard off the shelf coil with a rebound and compression dial to control the free bleed. I looked up the shock on QA1's site and it looks as though the only thing that may be custom is the valving, but I have yet to rip one apart to see what's inside! I would imagine that the valving is relatively generic too.
I saw this set-up first hand and it does look nice, but IMO it's a little spendy for what you get. The concept is good, but it is hard to build something that will excel for every riding style. What's good on the hill probably won't be that great for boondocking, rough trails or jumping...no matter how many dials you have - You gotta pick you poison and get something that will work for your style...Just my 2 cents

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
I'd pay $2000 all day if it is gonna give me the same results as the M-10!!

I don't see how it could since it is missing all the features that make the M-10 so adjustable and ride so good. This skid doesn't offer the FRA adjustment like an M-10. That adjustment allows you to move the bottom of the rear shock forward or backward to make the skid softer or stiffer. It is a huge adjustment on the M-10. Also, the rear shock doesn't have the crossover adjustment to the bottom out spring. It may not need it however if it isn't a falling rate design.

The front arm isn't a pass through the rails design so it gives up travel compared to the M-10. Finally, the rear shock doesn't have a resevoir like the Fox or Ohlin equipped M-10's.

Premium Features