• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Questions about installing Ice scratchers 06 RMK

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
Hi.

2006 RMK 700 151".

I am thinking of getting ice scratchers on my sled. If i mount scratchers, can i remove the running wheels? the 2 outer wheels on each side?

Do a bit of trail riding to get to the good stuff so scratchers won't be bad, but it is safe to remove the running wheels?

Also where should i mount them? Replace the front running wheels with the scratchers i guess?

Thanks!

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
I mounted them right behind the front wheels and removed the rest of the wheels.
Because at the front is where the most wear occurs and the scratchers only help behind them.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Hi.

2006 RMK 700 151".

I am thinking of getting ice scratchers on my sled. If i mount scratchers, can i remove the running wheels? the 2 outer wheels on each side?

Do a bit of trail riding to get to the good stuff so scratchers won't be bad, but it is safe to remove the running wheels?

Also where should i mount them? Replace the front running wheels with the scratchers i guess?

Thanks!

I didn't remove my bogey wheels, and have an 06' 151" ... you can fit them in there without removing any, it's just a little bit tight.

I did however have to remove two of them after installing my Holz skid.

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
Ok. So i should keep the front wheels then?

What about moving the front wheels to the inside of the suspension?
Would that work? Think it looks awesome without those wheels.
Remove the rear wheels, and mount the front ones on the inside

Any concerns about that?

Thanks guys! :)

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
I guess that that'd work, never thought of that
but certainly keep the front wheels some how

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
Ok. maybe i'll place the front wheels on the inside, and remove the other running wheels then.

Any other opinions on this?

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
to bogie, or not to bogie???

Dimebag..

i installed scratcher on my 05 900 166" track, and removed all the wheels MINUS the front ones...AND i mounted the scratchers BEHIND the wheel using the same hardware thats holding the wheel on...

i kept the wheels for 2 reasons...

1. i am 250lbs..so most of my weight is directly above those 2 outter wheels...will keep the pressure off the front of the hyfax

2. Like LPI said...the scratchers are behind the front bogie wheels..so if you remove the front wheels, it will wear there fast IMO....

here is a pics of my 900 when removed it all

Last edited:

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
You guys are saying that in front of the scratcher wears out real fast because the snow is kicking up behind. Not true as the stuff kicks up from the scratchers it also goes in side the track that is rotating forward dispersing the snow through out . So do not let that be a concern. Wheels i love mine and they help for sure.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
You guys are saying that in front of the scratcher wears out real fast because the snow is kicking up behind. Not true as the stuff kicks up from the scratchers it also goes in side the track that is rotating forward dispersing the snow through out . So do not let that be a concern. Wheels i love mine and they help for sure.

I don't think this compensates for removing the front two. I know a lot of guys do, but if you are looking to get more than one season out of your hyfax you should keep them. With or with out scratchers, the front is where you are going to see the most wear.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Thats right Lp that front wears no matter what because of that angle ,but it's not from the scratcher being farther back is all i was saying.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
I installed scratchers as far forward as possible on my '06 159 and removed ALL bogey wheels - only the rear idlers left. I use the scratchers religously on the trails and have two full seasons on my current set of sliders with only about 25% wear. I should easily get a third season out of them.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I installed scratchers as far forward as possible on my '06 159 and removed ALL bogey wheels - only the rear idlers left. I use the scratchers religously on the trails and have two full seasons on my current set of sliders with only about 25% wear. I should easily get a third season out of them.

Yep, put 'em as far forward as you can and get rid of all the bogeys. Did that on my 900 with no problems (till i backed up :rolleyes:)

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
It's not easy to decide, remove or not! I weight about 160 lbs if that matters in this case..

Any others removed all wheels? Any other opinions?

Hehe.. thanks again! :)

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Unless you are trying to remove every tiny bit of weight from the sled, just leave them on, they aren't hurting anything... infact they are helping. Buddy went through a set of hifax in 1800 miles on his 900 and he uses his scratchers everywhere... I've got 3,000 miles on mine with all the bogies and using scratchers religiously... mine look as good as his new ones. You cant tell me that bogies do not help...

I'll ride every kind of snow you can imagine so I don't want to worry about cooking a set on hardpack days...but to each their own:beer;

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Unless you are trying to remove every tiny bit of weight from the sled, just leave them on, they aren't hurting anything... infact they are helping. Buddy went through a set of hifax in 1800 miles on his 900 and he uses his scratchers everywhere... I've got 3,000 miles on mine with all the bogies and using scratchers religiously... mine look as good as his new ones. You cant tell me that bogies do not help...

I'll ride every kind of snow you can imagine so I don't want to worry about cooking a set on hardpack days...but to each their own:beer;

94fordguy, you are right, to each his own. To me, getting 1,500 miles out of a set of sliders is acceptable considering the weight loss gained by removing all the bogies. Everyone's looking for something different and willing to make certain sacrifices to obtain their goals. For me, the approx. 5 lb. weight loss losing the bogies was well worth the cost of new sliders every 2-3 seasons.

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
The only reason i want to remove all bogey wheels is because I think it looks awesome without them. And if i can run 1500 miles without them and just the scratchers i will definatively do that. Maybe i'll remove them, and keep an eye on the sliders.

If i remove the outer wheels, is there any reason at all to keep the inner ones?

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Like stated hyfax are only about 23 each and you like the look of no wheels ,just take them all off. Keep an eye on them though. because they will wear out. and watch your scratchers in case one breaks, because they do. Have fun.

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
It is totally personal preference. Your hyfax will definitely wear over time and scratchers not only keep it running cooler but mostly lubricate them, causing less wear. I have seen many cases where limiter strap position could also cause premature wear in the hyfax.

I have been manufacturing scratchers now for eight years and have had guys mount them in multiple locations from the front of the skid to close to the rear of the skid. Some guys even mount them on the skis. It does help if you mount them towards the front but has long as the snow is hitting the snow flap and onto the track.....the track will carry the snow towards the front of the sled to lubricate the hyfax and keeping the heat exchangers cool at the same time.

Me? I have always removed all boggies and run with just two rear wheels.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
^^^^ i ordered my scratchers from SummitSeeker and they are the BEST i have ever seen...excellent quality, outstanding guy to deal with and stands behind his products...

BEST...PERIOD...

Premium Features