• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris mod project questions?

Hi, i am a 15 year old that just bought a 2001 rmk 800 that needs some engine work done. I am going to try to pursue the carrer of snowmobile,dirt bike, and quad mechanics. So i will be doing the work by myself. Right now i know it needs new pistons and cylinders.......what is the biggest bore i can do with the stock crank? I could really use some help, so anything is good.
Thank you

And yes, i know i need to change my snowest name haha

M
Jun 15, 2009
Marshfield, WI.
So you are asking for big bore options for an 01 800? I would go with a new stock ves top end and have your crank checked out,trued,bearings replaced if it needs them. Then twin pipe it tune it and have funn .

Last edited:
M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
Are you sure the cylinders are toast? They may only need cleaned with acid or sent off to get re-nic'd or worse case re-sleeved. Stock Polaris pistons are easier to get and a solid piston. Over-bore alone won't gain much if any in performance.IMO
The crank more than likely is close to, if not shot with all the upper damage. That one is going to hurt($)! Some porting and a pipe(s) will make for some fun. Should do some new reeds,water pump belt,drive belt,check all mounts and clean and inspect EVERYTHING else.

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
Are you sure the cylinders are toast? They may only need cleaned with acid or sent off to get re-nic'd or worse case re-sleeved. Stock Polaris pistons are easier to get and a solid piston. Over-bore alone won't gain much if any in performance.IMO
The crank more than likely is close to, if not shot with all the upper damage. That one is going to hurt($)! Some porting and a pipe(s) will make for some fun. Should do some new reeds,water pump belt,drive belt,check all mounts and clean and inspect EVERYTHING else.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
You'll get alot more and better info with a proper name change say doowhacker , or catsuck you know something mild yet forceful.

Premium Features