• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

not enough track speed

technofunseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Southwest Montana
I recently purchased a 07 M8 with 2000 miles on it. It seems to have plenty of power and torque on the bottom end but nothing on the top end. At first I thought it was clutching but after having a dealer in West Yellowstaone look at it they said it was set up properly. It just doesn't seem to get enough track speed. Anyone have any ideas? Could it be geared wrong?

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
Also curious about what to do for more track speed. Pulling 7500 RPM and only 25 MPH track speed on hills with powder. Can get 50 MPH on flats in powder with 7500 RPM. Will pull 65-70 MPH on flat hard pack. Had heavier weights in it earlier this year, wasn't pulling RPM's. Went a little lighter on weights getting correct RMP's just need more track speed. Somebody told me to pull the track limiter straps up a notch and see what that does if that doesn't help they said to try a steeper helix. Any help would be nice.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Also curious about what to do for more track speed. Pulling 7500 RPM and only 25 MPH track speed on hills with powder. Can get 50 MPH on flats in powder with 7500 RPM. Will pull 65-70 MPH on flat hard pack. Had heavier weights in it earlier this year, wasn't pulling RPM's. Went a little lighter on weights getting correct RMP's just need more track speed. Somebody told me to pull the track limiter straps up a notch and see what that does if that doesn't help they said to try a steeper helix. Any help would be nice.

what sled and elevation? i can get better than that on my mostly stock m7 at 6-9000 ft. i tried moving the limiters up on my m7 once and that was a bad idea, made it worse. whats your clutching like, i know i was running the m8 orange sec. spring in my m7 and could only pull low to mid 30s for track speed and it felt like something was lacking so i switched to a slightly softer sec. spring and it feels much better. i dont have much time on the new spring and the snow has been like late spring so not much of a comparison but the shift overall feels much better and i think the softer spring will allow it to shift up faster thus having more track speed. i'm no expert but from my experience i think these super stiff springs everybody runs may really be hindering some things.

D
Nov 28, 2007
Tip weight baby....... trust me on this.

Just going from stock cat weights to dalton pros some times is enough tip weight. Free up the primary spring bind and secondary spring bind and she will fly.

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
Running a 07 M8 153" with all stock clutching for 9000+ as listed on the sticker. Usually ride around 10K-11K

Matt, This is probably your problem. The 68 gram stock weights are wrong and the secondary is off as well. I can't help you much with the right setup b/c I'm running an secondary kit but I can tell you that your clutching is off. You need around 7900 RPM at WOT. When you get there you will see a difference. You also want to check the cable adjustment on your powervalves, if they don't open completely you won't get all of your top end power. You might want to look at a stock 08 M8 and see what the clutching setup was on that.

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
Was running 68 all year, just switched to 65g gave me around 300 more RPMs, but now the clutch doesn't want to shift out all the way. Thinking a need a lighter spring in the drive? My buddy has a 08 M8 and we set mine up the same except for the titanium drive spring. His does seem to ride better, but he doesn't ride enough to know how much better.

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
Tip weight baby....... trust me on this.

Just going from stock cat weights to dalton pros some times is enough tip weight. Free up the primary spring bind and secondary spring bind and she will fly.
Would also like to know the solution to spring binding.

Premium Features