• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nissan Titan to get 5.0L Cummins Diesel

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Diesel fuel should be cheaper then gas but its not. And at more btu then gasoline there is more power and efficiency to be made with diesel over gas. I say a Diesel engine should be an option in every auto. I would also like to see ALOT more boosted autos on the market.

The reason diesel is not cheaper is because ALL heavy equipment runs off of diesel, jet planes run off of diesel, in the east and midwest they use diesel as home heating oil.

As far as turbo charging everything, it has it's benefits but it has a lot of negatives as well. Initial cost is more.

Also the problem with turbo-charging is it creates heat, the ONLY way to get that heat lowered is to inject more fuel. When you deal with the heat you start to lose efficiency. You can use oil squirters on the bottoms of the pistons to help with heat but it is not a solve all.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Modern trucks get horrible milage. I've owned a f150 with a 4.6L, chev 2500 with a 6.0v8 and a 08 tundra with the 5.7v8. Never seen over 14 mpg with any of them. I got 11 most of the time. My new truck 08 6.7cummins 1 ton with a. 6" lift and 35" tires with almost 500hp gets 17 in town and over 20hwy. Another note. If your using the same oil change intervals for a gas over diesel your throwing money. Buy synthetic and run it 3000 do a oil analysis and see what your drain interval should be. Prolly be something like 15,000 miles. Diesels aren't for everyone, especially someone that doesn't know diesels very well.

No offense but those are not exactly all the modern motors available. Motors in the last two years have came a long ways.

Take the NEW (for 2014) GMC 5.3l
I was able to pull off 21.7 MPG with it driving between 20 and 85 MPH. That was for about 140 miles with a good 40 miles of that stop and go. Honestly people buy more truck than they need in most cases. If you are towing less than 10k lbs, you don't need a 3/4 ton. Sure if you tow that much weight daily it is worth it, but so many people tow 7,000 lbs once a week or every other week. The money you save in initial purchase plus the cost of not buying diesel fuel over 5 years is a pretty solid amount of money for the weekend warrior.

This new Nissan should be interesting. I'm curious to see how it will drive, tow, transmission, fuel economy, etc. As of right now Nissan Titan accounts for 1.5% of all light duty (1/2 ton to 1 ton) truck sales. So even if they triple their sales, they have a lot of catching up to do.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I will play.

small diesel in a half ton is very appealing to me.

1- it should have the ride quality of the 1/2 over the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.
2- it should be able to tow just as much.
3- with a couple of mods it should should be getting 40-50% better gas mileage than gas trucks. towing and empty. hemi v8- 20mpg small diesel modified should easily get 30 mpg.

while its true that diesel being roughly $.30 more a gallon negates the lower overall maintenance costs, a small diesel engine SHOULD be only $2k more than the best gas engine available. lower initial cost should help sell them and level out the cost of ownership long term.

removing the DPF and other nonsense that will come on them will help you obtain 30+ mpg. And if its not possible to remove that stuff, then there is probably not much market for these trucks.

last thing does anyone else find it odd that dodge will put in some italian v6 diesel and nissan will put in the cummins into the 1/2 tons? :crazy:

I really don't think 30 MPG in a truck is realistic. I know you can get a bump on diesel cars with economy (I believe you have/had a VW right?) What hurts a truck in the gear ratio they have to be able to tow and the amount of weight they pack aroun.

As for the Italian diesel and Dodge. Europe knows how to do diesel motors, they've ran them forever. The company that produces that diesel motor for Dodge is also 50% owned by General Motors. I'm really curious if the General plans on using that motor at some point, to me it makes sense.

BTW, Car & Driver is saying that the next generation Colorado/Canyon will for sure have a diesel option.
:face-icon-small-ton

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
No offense but those are not exactly all the modern motors available. Motors in the last two years have came a long ways.

Take the NEW (for 2014) GMC 5.3l
I was able to pull off 21.7 MPG with it driving between 20 and 85 MPH. That was for about 140 miles with a good 40 miles of that stop and go. Honestly people buy more truck than they need in most cases. If you are towing less than 10k lbs, you don't need a 3/4 ton. Sure if you tow that much weight daily it is worth it, but so many people tow 7,000 lbs once a week or every other week. The money you save in initial purchase plus the cost of not buying diesel fuel over 5 years is a pretty solid amount of money for the weekend warrior.

This new Nissan should be interesting. I'm curious to see how it will drive, tow, transmission, fuel economy, etc. As of right now Nissan Titan accounts for 1.5% of all light duty (1/2 ton to 1 ton) truck sales. So even if they triple their sales, they have a lot of catching up to do.

21.7 eh? Was that calculated by you? Or the lying computer?
every vehicle has a few " wow that's good mpg" in its life. But I'm I my concerned with everyday, city driving hwy mix and what it does towing all the time. Not a one time great gas millage experience

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
I really don't think 30 MPG in a truck is realistic. I know you can get a bump on diesel cars with economy (I believe you have/had a VW right?) What hurts a truck in the gear ratio they have to be able to tow and the amount of weight they pack aroun.

As for the Italian diesel and Dodge. Europe knows how to do diesel motors, they've ran them forever. The company that produces that diesel motor for Dodge is also 50% owned by General Motors. I'm really curious if the General plans on using that motor at some point, to me it makes sense.

BTW, Car & Driver is saying that the next generation Colorado/Canyon will for sure have a diesel option.
:face-icon-small-ton

30 mpg is absolutely realistic. they have trucks in foreign countries that already obtain those figures. they wont bring them here cause they get taxed to high heaven and no one can afford them after that, or nobody wants to pay that much for them.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42666.pdf

whatever happened to the 4.5l diesel GM had? that looked to be an amazing motor... rumored to be running 25mpg in stock form.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Heck...They've had them in the rest of the world for years.

I'd buy a Diesel 4 cyl Tacoma if they made it avail in the USA.

Driving around in a little Mazda in Europe with a 4 cyl 1.2 liter diesel...Got AWSOME fuel economy... and great performance.

Small truck.... efficient diesel makes sense for a lot of peeps IMO.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
That smaller duramax I believe is the motor in the Colorado/Canyon.

And yes, I calculated it by hand. There was 0.1 difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
The fuel calculators in the trucks they've built in the last 6-7 years have all been pretty accurate, at least in my experience. Before about 2005 though, not so much.

And this is assuming you had enough brains to reprogram your speedometer if you changed your tire size, etc, as this is still a foreign concept to most people who seem to think lifting a pickup truck is a brilliant idea.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
The fuel calculators in the trucks they've built in the last 6-7 years have all been pretty accurate, at least in my experience.

I think so too. My gauge seems to be right on with calculating the amount I put in the truck. The number might not be what I want though!

Dec 15, 2007
PA
Heck...They've had them in the rest of the world for years.

I'd buy a Diesel 4 cyl Tacoma if they made it avail in the USA.

Driving around in a little Mazda in Europe with a 4 cyl 1.2 liter diesel...Got AWSOME fuel economy... and great performance.

Small truck.... efficient diesel makes sense for a lot of peeps IMO.

x2... Ford had a small 2.3 turbo diesel in the 80s that were around here and there. They were kind of gutless but got mid 40s mpg and that was in a 4x4 ranger. Check on ebay rotted out junk ones still sell for good money.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
I just don't understand what the point is. People don't buy 1/2 ton trucks to tow with. I know the F150 is basically today what used to qualify as a "3/4 ton" 10 years ago, but I still say if whatever you're pulling warrants getting a diesel get the suspension and chassis to go with it. I really don't see where this is going to get applicably better mileage than a 5.X litre gas small block with VVT and DoD and all the bells and whistles will these days especially since fuel averages $0.30 more per gallon.

IDK, if I'm buying a half-ton to tow a smallerish trailer its gonna be a gas motor, not a diesel, if I actually need a diesel I'll buy it in a truck more fitting to towing.

I can't believe you haven't seen people tow with a half ton. Lots of people do it. Especially those who don't need 3/4 or 1 ton trucks but still wanna pull a smaller camper, boat of sled trailer. I strongly disagree that new half tons are built to a HD truck standard of 10 years ago. You point out in your next post that you just purchased your first diesel. Have you owned anything but a half ton before, because you don't really sound like you know what you're talking about.

You ARE NOT saving any money buying a diesel truck over a gas truck these days, PERIOD.

The ONLY time in this day and age a diesel truck is more economic than a gasoline powered truck is if you are literally towing 10,000+ lbs around with them everywhere you go. It isn't like it was 10 years ago when diesel was a buck a gallon less than gas, and now combined with the fact that we have to have the DPF on all the new trucks, there is really very little incentive economically to purchase a diesel unless you tow with it every time the motor starts.

This is precisely why many companies who operate fleets of light duty trucks went away from the diesels. You're paying $10k more up front, you're not getting any better reliability, and in most cases worse, and you don't need that much power in a work truck.

With that said, I recently purchased my first diesel truck last year, and I can speak to the hole in my wallet each month that I most assuredly AM NOT saving any money by having it. I'm going to have to own it another 9 years for it to pay out.

I really fail to see how a diesel in a truck that is absolutely NOT going to be used for towing is going to result in any form of economic benefit whatsoever.

The kicker on this "half ton diesel" thing is going to be what the up front cost is. If you can get this truck for a lower price than an Ecoboost, maybe we'll have some real competition .... but if its going to cost as much as an Ecoboost, there is no incentive whatsoever for me to buy this truck.

Someone else pointed it out, (MountainHorse I think) but smaller diesels are all over in other countries and get excellent fuel economy. If you can't afford to have a large diesel truck, well then, you shouldn't have one. That being said, my last truck (which remains on the farm) was an '06 Dodge Mega Cab 3500 single rear wheel. It got great mileage and still got decent mileage after it got tuned and larger tires. It's had very little go wrong with it, original tranny, 170k+ miles on it and it still gets 17-18mpg if you drive like a sane person (I'm not, not every day).

My new truck, a '12 crew cab short box 3500 RAM only got in the 15's before I did the deletes. Now it'll average almost 18mpg when driving 70+mph.

My '12 GMC extended cab short box 1500 5.3L maybe gets 15mpg on a good day and it's a pretty worthless towing vehicle. My dad bought a '13 GMC, basically the same as mine, this last winter and gets about the same mileage. That's pretty poor to me. His everyday work pickup now is his '06 GMC half ton extended cab that he's owned since new and it probably gets around 16-17mpg. So if time and break in have anything to do with mileage, once again, I'll stick with the diesel.

A half ton diesel would have plenty of pep to do whatever driving/towing the average pickup owner would ever want to do. If you're gonna pay $27k+ for a half ton and think you're gonna tow a little, might as well ante up for the $3k-$4K more it'll take to get you into the diesel. Once you get into the $35k range, it makes no sense to me to buy anything but a larger diesel vehicle because of the resale value. If you're new to the diesel scene then I don't totally value your opinion of people not wanting half ton diesels and them being impractical......Idk, I just don't think you have a good handle on how big the diesel market/community is.

I will agree that there is no signifcant advantage economically to a diesel today. With the DPF, SCR, and higher cost of maintence. But these new smaller diesel in the 1/2 tons may not have the extra maintence cost. The trucks will be alot lighter than the HDs.

If your communting to work, and it less than 10 miles, no diesel is probably going to make any sense. But I will wait and see what these new 1/2 ton diesels can do.

I owned a few diesels, and own one now. But the horsepower/torque wars of the last decade or so is nuts. If it keeps going I think a smaller diesel my fit my needs. I would take a smaller diesel in my HD. My old 7.3 made like 1/2 the power my new one does, and it still got the job done.

I would take a 100 hp less, 150 less torque if you bumped my fuel economy.

You sir, have a head on your shoulders. You're seeing the positives and the whole point to creating a half ton diesel. These new half-ton turbo diesels have less power, not much more weight than the comparable gas offerings and should, they should get better mileage and also be much more capable for towing.

I will play.

small diesel in a half ton is very appealing to me.

1- it should have the ride quality of the 1/2 over the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.
2- it should be able to tow just as much.
3- with a couple of mods it should should be getting 40-50% better gas mileage than gas trucks. towing and empty. hemi v8- 20mpg small diesel modified should easily get 30 mpg.

while its true that diesel being roughly $.30 more a gallon negates the lower overall maintenance costs, a small diesel engine SHOULD be only $2k more than the best gas engine available. lower initial cost should help sell them and level out the cost of ownership long term.

removing the DPF and other nonsense that will come on them will help you obtain 30+ mpg. And if its not possible to remove that stuff, then there is probably not much market for these trucks.

last thing does anyone else find it odd that dodge will put in some italian v6 diesel and nissan will put in the cummins into the 1/2 tons? :crazy:

Something about the bankruptcy and the bailout killed the initial plan of the Dodge 1500 diesel. I believe the 5.0 Cummins V8 was supposed to eventually go in the RAM but things fell apart during the recession. Chrysler and GM both own VM Motori, so after they restructured, they probably found that financially it's smarter for the RAM to have their engine rather than go to Cummins and purchase another line of engines for the half tons.

:face-icon-small-con ok now what was I going to sayyyy..........

srt20

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2010
The reason why Nissan got the cummins 5.0 is because cummins had developed the engine for half ton use in dodges before the economy crashed. The head of dodge trucks at that time was Fred Diaz. Fred Diaz is now the head of Nissan trucks. He was hired to get them into the game. Looks like his first major move is a good start.....

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Someone else pointed it out, (MountainHorse I think) but smaller diesels are all over in other countries and get excellent fuel economy. If you can't afford to have a large diesel truck, well then, you shouldn't have one. That being said, my last truck (which remains on the farm) was an '06 Dodge Mega Cab 3500 single rear wheel. It got great mileage and still got decent mileage after it got tuned and larger tires. It's had very little go wrong with it, original tranny, 170k+ miles on it and it still gets 17-18mpg if you drive like a sane person (I'm not, not every day).

My new truck, a '12 crew cab short box 3500 RAM only got in the 15's before I did the deletes. Now it'll average almost 18mpg when driving 70+mph.

My '12 GMC extended cab short box 1500 5.3L maybe gets 15mpg on a good day and it's a pretty worthless towing vehicle. My dad bought a '13 GMC, basically the same as mine, this last winter and gets about the same mileage. That's pretty poor to me. His everyday work pickup now is his '06 GMC half ton extended cab that he's owned since new and it probably gets around 16-17mpg. So if time and break in have anything to do with mileage, once again, I'll stick with the diesel.

I've analyzed data from several fleets of work trucks, and there is a damn good reason we are not running diesels in our fleets of 3/4 ton and 1-ton work trucks. We've never seen a payout. These trucks usually haul around an extra 1500-2000-lbs of tools as well, and when we factored in maintenence and initial capital costs, fuel, etc, we were absolutley not saving a dime for the 120k we'd use the trucks by getting them with diesel motors, even on the F450 service trucks. The gas motors in the GM and Ford trucks we have are basically the last thing to go wrong with these trucks. This is coming from analyzing fleet data from hundreds of trucks (they did not tow).

I am not underestimating the market size for diesel pickups, but I am underestimating is the general person's ability to properly evaluate the economics of their vehicle. When you buy a diesel truck these days, and its been this way for the better part of the last 10 years .... You are paying for the power, not the cost savings. I analyzed this some 10 years ago and even back then under all but 100% commercial driving situations you wouldn't see a payout on a diesel truck for between 120 and 140k miles. Simply put, cost conscious people DO NOT spend the $$$ on diesel trucks unless, as I stated above, they are towing with them every time the motor starts.

I've done the economics on this, I know what they cost.

With that said, after owning my Cummins the last year I wouldn't tow more than a 6k-lb trailer without a diesel :) And I'm willing to pay for that ;)

Slednoggin23

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
Wyoming
Wow only 6 k without a diesel! You would crap a purple twinkie if you seen what I've towed without a mighty diesel. But you being an engineer I understand.:face-icon-small-ton Ya I know what your thinking and that's that I'm dumb and foolish. An engineer would know engineers always over build stuff. Don't get all butt hurt we'll just agree to disagree. Lowly gas powered half tons can handle more than 3 tons. May not get the mpg's of a diesel but I think it would be a wash cost wise.

For me the miles I drive and the weight I tow I'd love to try a diesel powered half ton Ford or Chevy.

S

Sheepdog

Nov 27, 2007
Big Sky Country
I think its great that the half tons are getting smaller diesels. I think they're target is people like me. Drive to work all week towing nothing but my lunchbox. Then drive to the mountains or the lake on the weekends towing a boat or a camper and still have enough power (in the lower RPM range) to not get passed on every hill.

The most crucial part of making this sales pitch for Nissan or Dodge is to make it affordable. Last I read, the price point for the Motri in the Dodge was 2,600 above a similar equipped Hemi half ton. Less than what I thought it would be, but still to high for most guys sitting in a sales office looking at the two side by side.

I really hope Nissan has good luck with the 5.0 Cummins. Competition is good for all consumers.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
You just have to want a diesel. They don't pay like they used to. They are a bunch of extra money up front and fuel is more expensive and maintenence cost more. The big thing everyone is forgetting is you get way more money out of them when you sell them and you get nothing for a gasser with the same mileage. It isn't like you pay $7000 more up front and get the same price as the gasser when you sell it. The initial entry is a little harsh but the percentage you pay to upgrade isn't any different. My dad upgraded his 08 diesel to a 13 diesel, loaded similar, for 5000 a year. I bet people aren't doing any better on a gas truck.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Wow only 6 k without a diesel! You would crap a purple twinkie if you seen what I've towed without a mighty diesel. But you being an engineer I understand.:face-icon-small-ton Ya I know what your thinking and that's that I'm dumb and foolish. An engineer would know engineers always over build stuff. Don't get all butt hurt we'll just agree to disagree. Lowly gas powered half tons can handle more than 3 tons. May not get the mpg's of a diesel but I think it would be a wash cost wise.

For me the miles I drive and the weight I tow I'd love to try a diesel powered half ton Ford or Chevy.

My old big block pulled 10k just fine honestly .... So maybe my # was wrong. Lets say 10k :)

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
A half ton diesel makes complete sense. Good economy and has the snort to pull sleds to the mountains. Us flatlanders that go 800 miles one way. Tug around a 30ft enclosed with 5 sleds, 80 mph, and into a 30mph+ wind and still squeeze 9.5 out of it with your half ton gas. I think not. My uncle has a bone stock 2011 GMC 2500 gas. Bone stock and he's lucky to make 11 average. I had a 04 Chevy 2500 gas leveled on 285's. I got 10 down hill at 55. I now have a 09 duramax with 6" and 35's. Deleted and what not. I average 15 and I don't drive nice. A 1/2 ton gas and 3/4 ton diesel are not even in the same league.

Premium Features