• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nissan Titan to get 5.0L Cummins Diesel

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/...n-pickup-with-new-cummins-turbo-diesel-engine

IRVINE, Calif. – At the kickoff of Nissan 360, an industry showcase of Nissan's global product and technology portfolio, the company announced it will offer a newly-developed Cummins V8 turbo diesel in its next-generation full-size pickup.

Now in the latter stages of development and testing, the available Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel engine has been optimized for the next generation Titan as a result of the partnership between Cummins and Nissan. Cummins also is developing a version of the engine for its commercial vehicle customers.

"We have done our homework on the next-generation Titan. Truck owners told us there's a demand for the performance and torque of a diesel in a capable truck that doesn't require the jump up to a heavy-duty commercial pickup," said Fred Diaz, divisional vice president, Nissan Sales & Marketing, Service & Parts, Nissan North America. "There is no question that the new Titan will turn heads, and with the available Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel, we expect to win new fans and attract buyers looking for this unique configuration."

Nissan has previously announced the next-generation Titan will add powertrain options and cab-and-box configurations to broaden the appeal of the new truck when it comes to market.

"We are very excited to partner with Nissan on the introduction of the Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel to the North American pickup truck market," said Dave Crompton, vice president, Cummins Engine Business. "This new engine will offer the right balance of power, performance and fuel economy while delivering the dependability that customers expect of a Cummins engine. This will be a great package."

With a torque rating in the mid-500s (lb-ft) and more than 300 horsepower, the Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel will provide light truck customers the combination of towing capacity and mileage that is expected in the highly-competitive North American truck marketplace.

The Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel will be built in America's manufacturing heartland at the Columbus Engine Plant, in Columbus, Ind., Cummins headquarters. This plant has the latest technological innovations to continue the 90-plus year tradition of building the highest quality Cummins engines.

The Titan program is being led by teams in Nissan Americas' headquarters in Franklin, Tenn., while engineering and testing is performed by Nissan Technical Center North America in Farmington Hills, Mich. and Stanfield, Ariz. as well as Nissan's global engineering center. Design is being led by Nissan Design America in La Jolla, Calif.

Like the current model, the next-generation Titan will be built at Nissan's Canton, Miss. vehicle assembly plant and its gasoline engines cast, forged and assembled at Nissan's Decherd, Tenn. powertrain plant.

For competitive reasons, Nissan is not announcing launch dates at this stage in the truck's development, however engineering prototype trucks powered by the Cummins engine are currently undergoing extensive on-public-highway performance and durability testing.

Further information on the upcoming Titan truck and Cummins engine will be released at a later date.

About Nissan North America
In North America, Nissan's operations include automotive styling, engineering, consumer and corporate financing, sales and marketing, distribution and manufacturing. Nissan is dedicated to improving the environment under the Nissan Green Program and has been recognized as an ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year in 2010, 2011, and 2012 by the U.S Environmental Protection Agency. More information on Nissan in North America and the complete line of Nissan and Infiniti vehicles can be found online at www.NissanUSA.com and www.InfinitiUSA.com, or visit the Americas media sites NissanNews.com and InfinitiNews.com.

About Nissan
Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., Japan's second-largest automotive company, is headquartered in Yokohama, Japan, and is part of the Renault-Nissan Alliance. Operating with more than 248,000 employees globally, Nissan provided customers with more than 4.8 million vehicles in 2011, generating revenue of 9.4 trillion yen ($118.95 billion US). With a strong commitment to developing exciting and innovative products for all, Nissan delivers a comprehensive range of 64 models under the Nissan and Infiniti brands. A pioneer in zero-emission mobility, Nissan made history with the introduction of the Nissan LEAF, the first affordable, mass-market, pure-electric vehicle and winner of numerous international accolades, including the prestigious 2011-2012 Car of the Year Japan and 2011 World Car of the Year awards.

For more information on our products, services and commitment to sustainable mobility, visit our website at http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/.

About Cummins
Cummins Inc., a global power leader, is a corporation of complementary business units that design, manufacture, distribute and service diesel and natural gas engines and related technologies, including fuel systems, controls, air handling, filtration, emission solutions and electrical power generation systems. Headquartered in Columbus, Indiana (USA), Cummins currently employs approximately 46,000 people worldwide and serves customers in approximately 190 countries and territories through a network of approximately 600 company-owned and independent distributor locations and approximately 6,500 dealer locations. Cummins earned $1.65 billion on sales of $17.3 billion in 2012.

Press releases can be found on the Web at cummins.com or cumminsengines.com. Follow Cummins on Twitter at http://twitter.com/cumminsengines and on YouTube at http://youtube.com/cumminsengine

Hmmmm......Still not terribly interesting to me, I think its about 10 years too late, along with the Dodge.

I'd rather buy a gas motor in a 1/2 ton truck, if I want a diesel its gonna be in a bigger truck for towing. A diesel in a 1/2 ton does nothing for me.

o2bncamo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2009
wisconsin
I like the idea. The more options in powerplants the better. I don't think the 1/2 ton diesels are ever going to comand a big market share, but the option for one is nice.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I like the idea. The more options in powerplants the better. I don't think the 1/2 ton diesels are ever going to comand a big market share, but the option for one is nice.

I just don't understand what the point is. People don't buy 1/2 ton trucks to tow with. I know the F150 is basically today what used to qualify as a "3/4 ton" 10 years ago, but I still say if whatever you're pulling warrants getting a diesel get the suspension and chassis to go with it. I really don't see where this is going to get applicably better mileage than a 5.X litre gas small block with VVT and DoD and all the bells and whistles will these days especially since fuel averages $0.30 more per gallon.

IDK, if I'm buying a half-ton to tow a smallerish trailer its gonna be a gas motor, not a diesel, if I actually need a diesel I'll buy it in a truck more fitting to towing.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Diesel fuel should be cheaper then gas but its not. And at more btu then gasoline there is more power and efficiency to be made with diesel over gas. I say a Diesel engine should be an option in every auto. I would also like to see ALOT more boosted autos on the market.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Diesel fuel should be cheaper then gas but its not. And at more btu then gasoline there is more power and efficiency to be made with diesel over gas. I say a Diesel engine should be an option in every auto. I would also like to see ALOT more boosted autos on the market.

You ARE NOT saving any money buying a diesel truck over a gas truck these days, PERIOD.

The ONLY time in this day and age a diesel truck is more economic than a gasoline powered truck is if you are literally towing 10,000+ lbs around with them everywhere you go. It isn't like it was 10 years ago when diesel was a buck a gallon less than gas, and now combined with the fact that we have to have the DPF on all the new trucks, there is really very little incentive economically to purchase a diesel unless you tow with it every time the motor starts.

This is precisely why many companies who operate fleets of light duty trucks went away from the diesels. You're paying $10k more up front, you're not getting any better reliability, and in most cases worse, and you don't need that much power in a work truck.

With that said, I recently purchased my first diesel truck last year, and I can speak to the hole in my wallet each month that I most assuredly AM NOT saving any money by having it. I'm going to have to own it another 9 years for it to pay out.

I really fail to see how a diesel in a truck that is absolutely NOT going to be used for towing is going to result in any form of economic benefit whatsoever.

The kicker on this "half ton diesel" thing is going to be what the up front cost is. If you can get this truck for a lower price than an Ecoboost, maybe we'll have some real competition .... but if its going to cost as much as an Ecoboost, there is no incentive whatsoever for me to buy this truck.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
You ARE NOT saving any money buying a diesel truck over a gas truck these days, PERIOD.

The ONLY time in this day and age a diesel truck is more economic than a gasoline powered truck is if you are literally towing 10,000+ lbs around with them everywhere you go. It isn't like it was 10 years ago when diesel was a buck a gallon less than gas, and now combined with the fact that we have to have the DPF on all the new trucks, there is really very little incentive economically to purchase a diesel unless you tow with it every time the motor starts.

This is precisely why many companies who operate fleets of light duty trucks went away from the diesels. You're paying $10k more up front, you're not getting any better reliability, and in most cases worse, and you don't need that much power in a work truck.

With that said, I recently purchased my first diesel truck last year, and I can speak to the hole in my wallet each month that I most assuredly AM NOT saving any money by having it. I'm going to have to own it another 9 years for it to pay out.

I really fail to see how a diesel in a truck that is absolutely NOT going to be used for towing is going to result in any form of economic benefit whatsoever.

The kicker on this "half ton diesel" thing is going to be what the up front cost is. If you can get this truck for a lower price than an Ecoboost, maybe we'll have some real competition .... but if its going to cost as much as an Ecoboost, there is no incentive whatsoever for me to buy this truck.

Modern trucks get horrible milage. I've owned a f150 with a 4.6L, chev 2500 with a 6.0v8 and a 08 tundra with the 5.7v8. Never seen over 14 mpg with any of them. I got 11 most of the time. My new truck 08 6.7cummins 1 ton with a. 6" lift and 35" tires with almost 500hp gets 17 in town and over 20hwy. Another note. If your using the same oil change intervals for a gas over diesel your throwing money. Buy synthetic and run it 3000 do a oil analysis and see what your drain interval should be. Prolly be something like 15,000 miles. Diesels aren't for everyone, especially someone that doesn't know diesels very well.

o2bncamo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2009
wisconsin
I will agree that there is no signifcant advantage economically to a diesel today. With the DPF, SCR, and higher cost of maintence. But these new smaller diesel in the 1/2 tons may not have the extra maintence cost. The trucks will be alot lighter than the HDs.

If your communting to work, and it less than 10 miles, no diesel is probably going to make any sense. But I will wait and see what these new 1/2 ton diesels can do.

I owned a few diesels, and own one now. But the horsepower/torque wars of the last decade or so is nuts. If it keeps going I think a smaller diesel my fit my needs. I would take a smaller diesel in my HD. My old 7.3 made like 1/2 the power my new one does, and it still got the job done.

I would take a 100 hp less, 150 less torque if you bumped my fuel economy.

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
Personally, I love the idea. You get a half ton ride with the tq of a diesel. Nobody buys a diesel thinking there going to save money anyways. It's like buying a turbo for your sled, and thinking your gonna save money by doing it.

It's all about the fun factor of owning one. I can't wait to see how these things do. The Titan is an awesome truck, and now to be able to mod it, and have something that moves when you get on the gas. Win win IMO!

I bought my diesel when I was towing trailers all the time, and after I sold my trailers, I went and test drove a few new gas trucks, and none of them made me smile like I do when I get in my truck. Just couldn't down grade. I've got no reason for a diesel right now, but I just can't bring myself to sell it to buy a gas truck. The price of fuel is about the same as reg. where I live anyways. If I was worried about a few dollars every time I fill up, I'd go buy a hybrid.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I agree with Dogmeat, I don't see why you would want it. With Ford's EcoBoost and GM's 6.2 there is plenty of power and torque already. They won't pull 15K+ or handle a fifth wheel but that's not what they are for. They move around and park more easily than my 2500HD in day to day usage but why get a diesel?

The Titan has been hurting in sales so maybe this will add a spark. They likely wanted to beat the Tundra to the punch. It makes more sense to bring diesels to more passenger cars because there is a legit MPG savings and it gives little four bangers (like the VW TDI) some serious get up and go.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I really like the idea of a Tundra with a diesel that is rated to tow about 16,000-lbs and haul about 3,500-lbs .... That might sort of shine some light on how maybe Ford shouldn't be quite so proud of their latest offering of trucks :)

As much as I like my Dodge (its been a great truck so far), if Toyota started building the big trucks I think it'd pretty well be over for the Ram brand.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I am in a position where I drive my F150 about 32-35K miles/year (I buy new ones). I currently tow my 3-place enclosed in the winter and a few small utility trailers occasionally during the year as well. I get reimbursed mileage for my business miles on the truck so I treat it like a business. I will continue to drive it until it loses me money, then I will simply get a company vehicle to drive for work. My point is, that in my arrangement I generated a cost calculator in Excel to track costs so I could compare variables such as oil change intervals, tire life, tire costs, initial truck price, trade in value, etc. With this calculator, I make some money every month with my gas powered F150. I have guys that keep telling me to get a diesel. I have run the numbers in my spreadsheet and I simply cannot get it to make me any money. I have looked at a smoking deal on a used Duramax at one point but I would have to run the truck to the 300,000 mile mark with absolutely no maintenance to just break even. Otherwise if I were to look at a new one (costed out prior to the new urea craze) I would lose money every month.

Would a diesel be nice to tow with? I suppose, but with my current 5.0 V-8 and 6 speed auto, it tows very nice and better than my experiences with older F250's w/ gas engines. Plus there are fewer diesel pumps so there seems to be longer lines to fill up. I fill up either daily or every 2-3 days and I despise waiting in line to fill up.

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
Small block V8 diesel sounds pretty darn cool. I have 2 diesel pickups and I rarely tow. You can't really pencil a diesel most days. It all comes down to the wow factor. Diesels are cool hot rods. Who's next? Come on GM lets see a sweet dmax small block in the 1/2 tons.

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
Small block V8 diesel sounds pretty darn cool. I have 2 diesel pickups and I rarely tow. You can't really pencil a diesel most days. It all comes down to the wow factor. Diesels are cool hot rods. Who's next? Come on GM lets see a sweet dmax small block in the 1/2 tons.

They should just put the 6.6 in a 1/2 ton, that would be a wild ride :eek: Obviously a little impractical but it'd be fun.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
I will play.

small diesel in a half ton is very appealing to me.

1- it should have the ride quality of the 1/2 over the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.
2- it should be able to tow just as much.
3- with a couple of mods it should should be getting 40-50% better gas mileage than gas trucks. towing and empty. hemi v8- 20mpg small diesel modified should easily get 30 mpg.

while its true that diesel being roughly $.30 more a gallon negates the lower overall maintenance costs, a small diesel engine SHOULD be only $2k more than the best gas engine available. lower initial cost should help sell them and level out the cost of ownership long term.

removing the DPF and other nonsense that will come on them will help you obtain 30+ mpg. And if its not possible to remove that stuff, then there is probably not much market for these trucks.

last thing does anyone else find it odd that dodge will put in some italian v6 diesel and nissan will put in the cummins into the 1/2 tons? :crazy:

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Rumor has it the Dodge with the Fiat motor should get close to 30 mpg and only come at a ~$2800 premium for the Diesel.

I believe Nissan and Dodge (RAM) had been in discussions for Dodge to actually build the next generation of trucks for Nissan (or at least design them), so the Cummins doesn't really come as a surprise. Whether the next phase of 1/2 ton Dodges might come with the same 5.0 Cummins is another question.

If we are to be held to the CAFE standards in a few short years, the manufacturers have to come up with creative options to get mileage there on the profitable 1/2 ton market. I think great mileage out of a 5.0 diesel is going to be harder to obtain than a 3.x liter engine so Dodge may have been simply looking ahead at what part of the market they needed to be to fill a need below their already popular HD series while providing everything the buying public wants including better mileage. The advertising will be brutal when a company produces a capable 4WD pickup that gets 30 mpg.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I will play.

small diesel in a half ton is very appealing to me.

1- it should have the ride quality of the 1/2 over the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.
2- it should be able to tow just as much.
3- with a couple of mods it should should be getting 40-50% better gas mileage than gas trucks. towing and empty. hemi v8- 20mpg small diesel modified should easily get 30 mpg.

while its true that diesel being roughly $.30 more a gallon negates the lower overall maintenance costs, a small diesel engine SHOULD be only $2k more than the best gas engine available. lower initial cost should help sell them and level out the cost of ownership long term.

removing the DPF and other nonsense that will come on them will help you obtain 30+ mpg. And if its not possible to remove that stuff, then there is probably not much market for these trucks.

last thing does anyone else find it odd that dodge will put in some italian v6 diesel and nissan will put in the cummins into the 1/2 tons? :crazy:

Sounds good on paper but how is a 1/2 ton going to pull just as much as a 1 ton? Different axles, brakes, a-arms, tie rods, etc. A 1/2 ton would never hold up over time. I don't see how you are going to get a 1/2 ton 5.0 diesel to 30mpg. Perhaps it is possible, but seems unlikely.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
May be incorrect, but I assumed he meant that the small diesel should at least tow as much as the current supply of gas engines in a comparable 1/2 ton. Therefore not decreasing the utility of the vehicle.

I think it would be a major liability to think it would replace a 1-ton.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
May be incorrect, but I assumed he meant that the small diesel should at least tow as much as the current supply of gas engines in a comparable 1/2 ton. Therefore not decreasing the utility of the vehicle.

I think it would be a major liability to think it would replace a 1-ton.

if a toyota 1/2 ton can tow a spaceship... lol

but seriously, the new generation of 1/2 tons are being asked to preform very much like 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Thats why you see them coming with beefer frames, brakes, axels, etc. Im not saying that a little diesel should hook up to a 3 axle 5th wheel, only that motor wise it would be able to pull it with ease.

for snowmobile specific applications, the little diesel should handle everything we can throw at it, deck, trailer, up to 6 sleds with ease...

Slednoggin23

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
Wyoming
hmmm very interesting

To me a small displacement diesel in a half ton would be very appealing if it was more economical than a gas motor. It would be for people who don't need to tow the weight that a 3/4 ton or 1 ton does. For towing trailers in the 5K to 8K range. Contrary to popular belief you don't need a 3/4 ton diesel to tow that size of trailer.

I love my ecoboost and it tows my camper, boat or sled trailer with ease. The only reason I'd replace it with a diesel motor would be for maybe better MPG while towing and hiway. Towing my open four place with four sleds it gets 10.5 to 11 mpg. If a diesel powered half ton could get 14 towing and 20+ hwy I'd buy one. One of my buddy's has a 6.7L Cummins and it gets 14 to 15 towing said trailer and another buddy's duramax gets 15.

So if they could build a Ford or Chevy half ton and keep it priced close to a gas powered one I think it would be good trade off economically. Sure diesel is more expensive but I put 60K miles a year on my pickups and if towing and hwy mileage is more it may be better. I trade my pickups every 1.5 yrs so I don't think I would get to a point that higher repair costs would cost me.

Premium Features