• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Newbie questions with purchasing a used 700

F
Sep 25, 2013
I'm looking to purchase a Polaris 700 between the years 2005 and 2008 (the prices in these years seem to fit my budget). First, I have to determine which model would best fit my riding needs. I am new, with some sledding experience, but I also have many years of motocross, dual-sport experience so I'm not new to the two stroke world. I live in the mountains but plan most of my riding on groomed trails and powder adjacent to them. So what model fits best? I've also heard there have been some "bad" years with the 700's - mechanical issues. Can anyone tell me what year/model I should definitely avoid?. Lastly, what's considered low miles and high miles on these machines? Thanks for any and all advice!

W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
The last of the 755 cc motor was in 06, a lot of people didn't like those because of the vibration, plus in 07 the 700 went to the more modern "raw" style dragon chassis. mileage is hard to say, depending on how people take care of them and ride them, I've seen sleds with 5k on them that I would much rather own than the same sled with 1k.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
You don't want an 05/06 700. 07/08 700s are terrific sleds.

"Typically" a 2 stroke mountain sled would benefit from fresh pistons by about 3000 miles. Now, what is typical is of course up for debate. As winter4ever says, there are LOTS of variables. If you aren't familiar with sleds then I suggest you either find someone that is to go look at them with you, or even ask the seller if you can have a local dealer check it out for you.

sled_guy

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
The 05 700 was still in the Edge chassis, a good chassis for trail riding IMO. I would stay away from the 06 700. An 07 or newer is a very good mountain sled and just a average trail sled.

W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
Also, on the mileage issue I generally never believe it if it looks too good to be true. Its just too easy to unhook the speedo cable. So if the sled looks like its been run through the ringer and only has 1200 miles on it, the speedo has probably been unhooked for the last 4 winters.. So physical condition is generally more important than miles when it comes to sleds, in my opinion anyways...

Premium Features