• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New rider, buy new leftover pro rmk or snow check new axys?

tmanker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2013
NW Iowa
First of all, I appreciate your time. I'm a 32 year old engineer and new to the sport. My snowmobiling experience includes one trip to Togwotee a couple years ago. That's it. The first day was a major struggle, but days 2 and 3 were much better. Fast forward a couple years and I'm looking to get in to the sport long-term. I have a major problem taking time off from work and if I buy a new sled, I know it will force me to take a couple trips out west each winter. I'm sticking with Polaris because I rented a M8 and a rmk and had much better luck and feedback with the rmk. A local polaris dealer has a new leftover 2015 pro rmk for $11,500. I'm considering buying that sled with 0% interested for 60 months. I'm also considering buying a new axys as well. For a beginner, what would you recommend all things considered? Thank you.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Buy an axys. They are that much better than a pro. You will be able to find a hold over or a slightly used snow checked axys for what they want for the 15. They only thing you won't get on used is 0%.

T

Toad face killah

Sep 27, 2010
Lake Almanor, Ca
The Axys is a very mtn specific sled as compared to the 2015. As a new rider, I think you'd be very happy on a 2015 and save a few bucks to take an extra trip out west. But the price you stated for a new 2015 pro seems way high. You should be able to get one in the mid 9,000s. gently used ones with only 500 miles are selling in the 7,000s. long story short, prices on the pro chassis has dropped liked crazy since the axys was introduced

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Local dealers here are at $9K for leftover 2015 Pro RMKs... the $7K used 2015s have evaporated now though, I know, I have been looking. At least in my area / region.

tmanker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2013
NW Iowa
Thanks guys. Is anyone willing to get me information for a dealership with a new leftover '15 pro rmk in the $9xxx range? Would there be a huge difference in where/how I ride with an axys vs pro rmk?

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I can't speak to the Axys / Pro question, since we don't know your location I am not sure how much help we can be with dealers, Kurts Polaris in Seeley Lake / Missoula, MT is still advertising 8995 for new 2015s, I am sure SE Idaho such as Rexburg Motorsports and Action (in Idaho Falls) have competitive prices too, you could use that info to negotiate with your local dealer. Having a GOOD dealer is important too. Check their reputation with other customers, might be worth a few hundred more to stay local, but not that much $$. Polaris is offering incentives and that is why the 2015s are such a good price with good financing, but the same kind of deals (but more starting money - like under 11K ish) seem to be in effect on Axys floor models too.

Good luck!

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
Where are you located? $11,500. is waaay to much for a leftover 15. I know guys that got AXYS's recently for that much recently with snow conditions as bad as they are. Search craigslist Minneapolis, MN for Pro-RMK's I think their are some dealers on there selling for reasonable prices. No its not going to be worlds different where you get with a Pro or AXYS, yes the AXYS is probably better, but at your level your not going to not go somewhere because of the sled.

EDIT: Just checked and their are plenty of NEW 2016 AXYS Pro-RMK ranging from $10,300-$11,500 (ES) around MN. Most those dealers listed no freight/setup. If your out of state you may be able to do something with the taxes. If you where thinking $11,500.00 for a 2015, I'd definitely go AXYS.

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
If you can find a cheap '15 with a warranty you will more than likely be very happy. I've been riding with and comparing the power delivery of my '14 with several Axy's sleds over the last 2 months. The throttle response of the new Axy's is awesome but for point and chute climbing and deep powder running, a well set-up Pro will run right beside them. We've found that well clutched pro's will outrun and outclimb the 3"ers pretty badly, don't know if the ultra low gears or out of calibration clutching is to blame, but if I were you I'd steer clear of the 3" Axy's, it really is a one dimensional sled.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
My sticker price on my axys was 10800 and ive heard of better deals. Come out west and by it. Oh and get the axys. You will grow into it and it is sooooo much easier to ride. I was blown away when i rode mine the first time. And my 14 pro was very modded

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Make sure you have your years right. Left over 15's are now 2 seasons old. The 16 is now and the 17's will be released in a few days. Kind of confusing. I bet it's a 16 for that price. That would be way out of line for a 15.

tmanker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2013
NW Iowa
I asked the gal at the dealership, Taggart's Powersports, in Hinton, IA. I specifically asked about the leftover sleds. She said the '16's weren't leftover technically until after the yearly meeting in March. She quoted a '15 pro rmk 155 without ES at $11,7XX and with ES at $11,9xx. I called a guy at Bristols in St Cloud, MN regarding the new leftover '16's and he said around $10,500 for 2016 pro rmk 155. I appreciate your help and if anyone else has advice on riding tips, etc..., let me know.

Thread turn here, but would anyone recommend spending money on riding with Rasmussen or Burandt to help kickstart my riding? I've literally read every thread on this site (other than where premium membership is required. I'm going to join soon), watched every youtube video on downhill turn, j-turns, sh!!thooks, powder turns, side hilling, climbing, etc... I know nothing replaces the real thing, but I want to get to the point where backcountry riding is in my bag of tricks. Thanks guys.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I asked the gal at the dealership, Taggart's Powersports, in Hinton, IA. I specifically asked about the leftover sleds. She said the '16's weren't leftover technically until after the yearly meeting in March. She quoted a '15 pro rmk 155 without ES at $11,7XX and with ES at $11,9xx. I called a guy at Bristols in St Cloud, MN regarding the new leftover '16's and he said around $10,500 for 2016 pro rmk 155. I appreciate your help and if anyone else has advice on riding tips, etc..., let me know.

Thread turn here, but would anyone recommend spending money on riding with Rasmussen or Burandt to help kickstart my riding? I've literally read every thread on this site (other than where premium membership is required. I'm going to join soon), watched every youtube video on downhill turn, j-turns, sh!!thooks, powder turns, side hilling, climbing, etc... I know nothing replaces the real thing, but I want to get to the point where backcountry riding is in my bag of tricks. Thanks guys.

Pay the premium membership and read all the threads !

If money is no object and you don't have time go for it.

If you have time then take the money and go ride with other more experienced riders ...

Ask local clubs to ride with them.

Premium Features