• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new Drive clutch belt clearence

G
Nov 24, 2008
Is a new polaris drive clutch shimed properly for belt to sleave clearence from the factory for a polaris belt or does it require shimming.

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Not from what I've seen. If a dealer does it for a new sled set up I would be surprised. I have found them to typically be around .040"-.050", much more than spec. I set mine around .015"

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
I would say highly doughtfull, my 09 d-8 was around .070 clearance. I reshimmed and had it sent off for balance, was about .010 with a new belt when I was done. The worst part is is there is only one shim in them, so removing the shim is not enough. I machined the spacer the holds the shims in place, then I had enough room to shim to specs. ( by the way thanks polaris:rolleyes:)

J

jim9006

Sep 7, 2008
Cle Elum WA
home.comcast.net
I noticed the same thing... Only problem is, I'm not a machinist. Can anyone recommend a good place to have this done?

I would say highly doughtfull, my 09 d-8 was around .070 clearance. I reshimmed and had it sent off for balance, was about .010 with a new belt when I was done. The worst part is is there is only one shim in them, so removing the shim is not enough. I machined the spacer the holds the shims in place, then I had enough room to shim to specs. ( by the way thanks polaris:rolleyes:)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The new clutches have a "general" balance and are NOT shimmed for a particular model belt...

I like Indy Specialty for their thoroughness and work... It is spot on when you get it back.

There are other clutch services as well.

I have also personally seen brand new primarys that do not move smoothly.

Check out this thread and read it carefully...you will gain a lot of info.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96366

Premium Features