• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Melting belts, blazing hot clutches.

Ijust

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2019
Mt
I found a 13’ M1100t in the box last year and bought it. I heard they go through belts so I told the dealer to please make sure this problem is addressed on this particular sled. I was promised it would not blow belts... ha ha ha

blew my first belt at 350 miles, and thought I could probably live with this. Since then, I am melting belts in 60 miles or less. I say melting because the clutches get so hot, I think it is literally melting them and disintegrating them. The sled is almost stock under the hood besides having an evo intake, which also gets smoking hot, and an mbrp straight pipe. Last year I rode it completely stock for 300 miles, and never experienced any problems with the belt and didn’t notice the heat build up as much. This seems crazy since the intake and pipe were supposed to cut down on heat.

Is it possible that the clutches or engine became misaligned during the break in?

I know I need venting, what’s the best option for this sled?

I love this sled in the deep more than most I’ve ridden, but can’t keep putting new belts on every ride. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am afraid to ride for more than 5 minutes at a time, and never at wot unless I am about to get stuck or I’m headed uphill. I mostly ride at 9-10k’ in as deep of snow as I can find. I notice the major heat spikes under the hood in the powder Vs. the trail.

please help! I want to keep this beast, but it’s eating a bit kore than I want to feed it!

Last edited by a moderator:

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC
From my understanding, not unless you’re going to be putting huge money into it. And then, it still eats belts. Two buddies threw a lot of money at theirs, just to finally walk away. One traded his off while the other bought an alpha.

Ijust

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2019
Mt
So I have read zal. There is a ton of information on these forums I’ve recently discovered. I found a good deal on a 7 piece vent kit which I’ll be installing Monday. I also bought header wrap. This sled rocks in the powder, and honestly it has plenty of grunt for me stock. Just want it to be more reliable. If I can find osp alignment tool, snubber, and eccentric mounts, I feel like I’ll be on the right track. Let me know if you know of these parts being available anywhere in 2020.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
So I have read zal. There is a ton of information on these forums I’ve recently discovered. I found a good deal on a 7 piece vent kit which I’ll be installing Monday. I also bought header wrap. This sled rocks in the powder, and honestly it has plenty of grunt for me stock. Just want it to be more reliable. If I can find osp alignment tool, snubber, and eccentric mounts, I feel like I’ll be on the right track. Let me know if you know of these parts being available anywhere in 2020.
I have the OSP tool if you want. $125 shipped.

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
I don't have any experience with a M1000T. But can offer my new sled break-in tips. Make sure you got the right belt. Make sure the belt tension is correct. Wipe down the clutch surfaces with Acetone. Start with two new belts that have been washed in dish soap. Break in first belt by trail riding the first 25 miles with low acceleration, no full throttle, 50mph max, drive it like an old man. After breaking in first belt, switch to the spare belt and break in also, if not you will roach the spare unbroken belt trying to get out of the backwoods after you blow the first belt. The cycle continues. If that doesn't work then tear down the secondary, and make sure the helix angle and spring is correct for 9-10K altitude. Maybe you got the sea level clutching by mistake. Check for binding as well.

Ijust

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2019
Mt
I have the OSP tool if you want. $125 shipped.

Right on. Unfortunately I can’t find the snubber, eccentrics, or any mounts from them or any other aftermarket company left over anywhere. I would like to use the tool, but without the parts to correct the engine alignment, I’m pretty s.o.l. Hoping for a tip leading to any Aftermarket alignment Parts for this sled including the tcl delete kit. Holler if you know of anything. Thanks. It’s getting deeper and more fun by the day, so for now the belts and the credit cards will continue to burn!!!!

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
You might have to call some AC dealers to see if they have any on the shelf. Another good site to ask is (sorry Christopher, trying to help the guy) Snow and Mud.com. Its a Canadian site that deals with Western Canada. There might be people who either has parts or can guide you to where a dealer will have some. Being from Canada, a dealer who installed many of these would have stock on the shelf as duties and shipping gets expensive for us. That being said, the sled has gone like the dodo bird and they would be more than happy to clear stock. It’s a long shot and a goose chase.

Ijust

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2019
Mt
Zal, thanks. I’ll make some calls. Gonna be in fernie End of feb. If I have to ride my 800, cool. Massive avys happening here right now in sw Montana. Be safe if you plan on riding down here.

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately I’m probably about 16 hours north of you haha.
This summer, we might be around your neck of the woods.
You as well, be safe out there.

Ijust

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2019
Mt
Would ya look at that...this is new to me. Do you know the differences between the 13 and 14 jack shaft kits? How are they aligned better? Is the jack shaft more durable? Hopefully this is the answer. Do the 14-15 m1100ts with this kit have belt or chain case issues from what you have heard? Remember, my first belt lasted 350 miles, granted I ran the sled a little harder after 300 miles. My main concern is that Something in mine fell out of alignment during the break in.

Ijust

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2019
Mt
I just picked up a 2014 M1100T Also, no belt issues yet - fingers crossed, however I thought the Cat upgraded jackshaft kit fixed most of the alignment issues? I'd start with that.

Hey man I think you nailed it. The jackshaft on the 14’ big fin is wiggling up to a 1/8 inch when I would grab and tug on it. It isn’t a damp wiggle like the motor mounts would feel like, but a thumping. I assume the bearing on the chain case side is blown considering I’m seeing a lot of metal dust floating in the chain case window. I’ll crack it open and order the updated parts. I thought I was blowing belts because of heat. But heat is not the number one enemy for me. It’s the wiggle and then the heat. Also noticed a mouse nest in the crevasse between the bottom of the heat exchanger and gas tank. I bet it was a bit toasty in there!

C
Mar 27, 2009
There are some issues with the chain in the gearbox side as well. From what ive been reading a lot of people upgrade the chain and gears to aftermarket or go belt drive to resolve the problems there.

The jackshaft kit includes some new motor mounts and bearings to fix the misalignment issue and a stronger jackshaft to prevent flexing.

My sled is a 2014 but with only 100 miles on it, this is what I have done/plan to do as a preventative:

Reverse actuator update kit - prevents stripping out reverse: P/N 0637-461
One piece belt guard - prevents belt contact with the two piece guard which has been destroying belts and for better cooling: P/N 0637-478
Clutch Side panel vent update - improves cooling on clutches: P/N 6639-817 with frogskin mesh P/N 7639-133
Jackshaft update - as above.

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Hey man I think you nailed it. The jackshaft on the 14’ big fin is wiggling up to a 1/8 inch when I would grab and tug on it. It isn’t a damp wiggle like the motor mounts would feel like, but a thumping. I assume the bearing on the chain case side is blown considering I’m seeing a lot of metal dust floating in the chain case window. I’ll crack it open and order the updated parts. I thought I was blowing belts because of heat. But heat is not the number one enemy for me. It’s the wiggle and then the heat. Also noticed a mouse nest in the crevasse between the bottom of the heat exchanger and gas tank. I bet it was a bit toasty in there!

Being that you found one still in box, does it not come with standard warranty? Only reason I’m asking is you might be able to get the update shaft under warranty ?

Ijust

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2019
Mt
No warranty. Dealer I bought from said they put a bunch of these m11ts out the door last year and I’m the only one who is having trouble. The dealer had a bunch of hold overs from another dealer that went belly up. Leave it to me to buy a “problem sled” because I wanted to save money. Would have been a good idea if anybody still made parts to correct the alignment issues. Im going to find a way to make this work so I can at least sell this sled knowing it won’t blow belts for the next buyer. Hate to see this machine go to waste with 400 miles on it. Getting desperate. Has anybody set up a go fund me site for 082 belts??????

C
Mar 27, 2009
The 2015 jack shaft update kit, from all reports, does fix alignment issues. And it’s still made. That’s likely why the after markets stopped. Why spend 500+ on aftermarket machined bits when you can get the update for $200

C
Mar 27, 2009
And your secondary wiggling 1/8 inch I’d say might be your problem. I haven’t done the update yet on mine but it’s on there solid when I grab and try to flex or move it

Ijust

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2019
Mt
The 2015 jack shaft update kit, from all reports, does fix alignment issues. And it’s still made. That’s likely why the after markets stopped. Why spend 500+ on aftermarket machined bits when you can get the update for $200

You have good information. I have read for 20 days and not come across this. Check this photo out and tell me that this isn’t the 2015 jackshaft kit already on here from the dealer.. I think it is but I could be wrong.

Also included are the venting panels I installed with 80$ kit from mod rods. You can find the proclimb kit on eBay from them and it’s 60% off. I hope by taking out the black plastic manifold duct I’m not messing anything up. It has a massive leak where it routes around the clutch duct that seems like it would just trap heat. I feel like with vents and a fan that I am gonna blow cold air or suck heat out directly from the secondary area. The fan I found is 8 inches and has a reverse operation. Don’t know weather blowing in cold through frogskins and plastic vent or sucking heat out would be better.

Have you seen black plastic plenum under the goggle warmer area? I wonder about porting that area to help release heat from the top of the engine as it’s already is purging heat from there. I wonder if it’s trapped up in there like a sealed off attic. Lastly, my clutch cover is twisted from the last belt bomb. Have you found a good one piece cover? I’m know I’m late to the party, but if you are like me and bought one of many Holdover m1100ts, you are staying at the party all night. There is something to be said about having one of these in 2020 with super low miles. image.jpgimage.jpg

Ijust

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2019
Mt
And your secondary wiggling 1/8 inch I’d say might be your problem. I haven’t done the update yet on mine but it’s on there solid when I grab and try to flex or move it

So your entire engine doesn’t wiggle a little bit when you tug super hard up and down on your jackshaft? I must have a loose motor mount, time to dig.

C
Mar 27, 2009
I’d do the arctic cat belt guard update, it changes it to a one piece and has better cooling. I just put that on mine this past weekend. There’s also an arctic cat scoop vent which has a duct that blows directly on the secondary. You need the one piece guard in order to install that

7A028D9B-BDE8-4CE2-A03C-1973D21970CA.jpeg 53D1CE46-6D81-49C7-9779-7963650B0E96.jpeg

Premium Features