• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

King cat eating fuel pumps

thumbie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2013
rapid city,sd
I have a 05 king cat 900 EFI. Original fuel pump lost pressure, down to 35 psi. Installed replacement Walboro pump, rode for about an hour, pulled over and shut down sled to wait for the wife to catch up. Sled wouldn't start. Tried powering up pump with 12V, didn't run. Installed second pump and rode for 3 hrs, same thing. After shutting down sled, it won't start. Pump won't run. Any one know of something that could be causing my problem.

Fuel pump

You should carry a 9 volt battery. The pump I have found it will stall or get jammed. The gears in the pump are brass and they get shavings in them. If you reverse the pump it will free up. Had is stall out on wifes sled twice. I built an set of wires that will switch the pump in reverse and works great.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
the pick up screens on the smart valves are most likely past there life and the tank needs to be cleaned and emptied thus derbies in the pump

Last edited:

thumbie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2013
rapid city,sd
You should carry a 9 volt battery. The pump I have found it will stall or get jammed. The gears in the pump are brass and they get shavings in them. If you reverse the pump it will free up. Had is stall out on wifes sled twice. I built an set of wires that will switch the pump in reverse and works great.
Thanks for the help, in the end, the company I bought the pump from, sent me a third pump. The sled has run great since.I couldn't even make the pump run with a full 12v to the pump.Acted like they crimped the pump to tight

thumbie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2013
rapid city,sd
the pick up screens on the smart valves are most likely past there life and the tank needs to be cleaned and emptied thus derbies in the pump
I've had the tank off and cleaned it and inspected the smart valves. The company ended up sending me a third pump and all is well. Have a good rest of the season.

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
as stated by polaris 600 run some wires and keep a 9 volt battery with you. I have heard the same thing about the brass gears causing the shavings in the pump. the motors are small and it doesn't take much to stop them. Hook up the wires and run in reverse to free up debris. This is just food for thought and may save your ride someday. I have the carb model so my issues are different than yours.

Premium Features