• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Khaosing a 165

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
i have a 165 9R pro. converted to Khaos with Ice Age rails, polaris limiter strap. Fox QS3 coils.
To be honest, it is not really more playful, maybe a touch. Definitely not a 155. pretty planted.
i do have some suspension set up to work on though

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I have one of those hillbilly friends... he blew out every float he ever touched ?

Maybe I'm one of those hillbillies as well, every time I adjusted them I'd dump an unknown amount of pressure unscrewing the pump. I've always thought coils are pretty fool(me) proof for adjustments.
FYI when you are unthreading the pump from the stem the air you heat bleeding off is the pressure releasing in the valve stem. When the pump backs out you should no longer be pushing down the Schrader valve by the time the pressure is releasing from inside the stem.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
FYI when you are unthreading the pump from the stem the air you heat bleeding off is the pressure releasing in the valve stem. When the pump backs out you should no longer be pushing down the Schrader valve by the time the pressure is releasing from inside the stem.
And also, due to the low volume of these small chambers, it's wise to never "check" the pressure without resetting it, especially if you are using a gauge that is not also a high pressure pump. They call this the observer effect, when you lose pressure while checking and not properly resetting pressure. Every pound counts.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
When i unscrew my fts, the air bleeds out as im unscrewing the fitting.
Happens every tyme

C
Dec 14, 2020
When i unscrew my fts, the air bleeds out as im unscrewing the fitting.
Happens every tyme

Thats just air in the line. When you back out the screw that pushes the valve in you're sealing the system.

Or you got a valve that's out of spec.

The chambers are so small that temp messes with them, and just checking pressure you lose enough that you'll never know exactly what it was before you checked it.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
Thats just air in the line. When you back out the screw that pushes the valve in you're sealing the system.

Or you got a valve that's out of spec.

The chambers are so small that temp messes with them, and just checking pressure you lose enough that you'll never know exactly what it was before you checked it.
I put my chamber at 35 and as im unscrewing the valve, all of the air dumps out. The other shocks dont bleed like the fts.
Now i put in 50 and hope to get 35.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Anyone do a longer FTS and limiter w/pro rails?

This looks like the cheapest/easiest route.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
We have done 7 sleds in our group this way.

I think it’s the only way to avoid wasting money.
First off, I’d like to state that I am not poor and have plenty of money to blow on my sled.

Ok, I’ve got a ‘22 Khaos 155” that I just picked up a 165” series 8 track and PRO rails for. If this works pretty well I’m gonna try it out with some new clutching and some other lightweight goodies.

I’m a bigger rider and I’d like to be able to climb steeper stuff without it getting so wheelie happy. It’ll basically be a 165” slash now, so it should retain some playfulness? Or am I off base there? Either way I’m making this one a 165” and making it work.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Busses drive the same road as ur Lamborghini.
Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know how to drive one.
Pretty silly statement.....

165's can absolutely be playful, i luv my Alpha 165.

It will never be the same as a 154.... never.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
I wasn’t gonna even buy another 155” but this was a late delivery new machine and was available so here we are…. I’m mostly here to see who all has swapped longer pro rails into a Khaos without totally hijacking the thread.

Edit: This is my first Khaos. I’ve had 6 different PRO RMKs from ‘11 to ‘16, 155”s & 165”s, mono tubes, clickers, EVOLs. I would’ve preferred a PRO but again, this is what was available for less than a new ‘23 and I’ve had it since August.

M
Nov 5, 2012
Sicamous B.C
i'm running khaos ice age rails on my 155, stock rmk limter and front shock.

The thing was a whole new sled, crazy playful so I decided I wasn't going to bother with the longer limiter or shock. Can also get more or less play by adjusting the suspension pretty easy, that front shock stiffness will give you a lot of playfulness.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I'm still fighting clutch/track vibration issues on the sled (still no friggin idea). I'm just gonna start throwing parts at it now. Dealer was no help and slow.

I bought some 163" Khaos rails from Iceage. Gonna run the Pro front shock and limiter for now. 3" Powerclaw. I guess if it still more planted than I like I will get Raptors (Khaos) for the rear along with the longer limiter.

I've been told dropping the front of the skid to the lower hole makes for a lighter front end as well. I just as well try that since its free.

I decided to snowcheck a 155 about 2 days after snowcheck opened. I was too late with any of the local dealers and don't feel like driving 10hrs to pick up a sled so I'm gonna keep this one for the time being. If I can't get it to be playful like I want I will try to find a Boost off the floor next winter. I've got a feeling there will be plenty.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
165 Pro's can still be playful. Anyone that tells you otherwise doesn't know how to ride one.
Keyword CAN be... ? just requires a slope of 30+ degrees and the right snow conditions.

I came off a 154 Turbo R Doo. Could flip that thing over anywhere anytime.

The Doo is proof that a 165 can be VERY playful. The Pro just is not... but it's not meant to be. I'm just a dumazz who bought the wrong sled.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I'm still fighting clutch/track vibration issues on the sled (still no friggin idea). I'm just gonna start throwing parts at it now. Dealer was no help and slow.

I bought some 163" Khaos rails from Iceage. Gonna run the Pro front shock and limiter for now. 3" Powerclaw. I guess if it still more planted than I like I will get Raptors (Khaos) for the rear along with the longer limiter.

I've been told dropping the front of the skid to the lower hole makes for a lighter front end as well. I just as well try that since its free.

I decided to snowcheck a 155 about 2 days after snowcheck opened. I was too late with any of the local dealers and don't feel like driving 10hrs to pick up a sled so I'm gonna keep this one for the time being. If I can't get it to be playful like I want I will try to find a Boost off the floor next winter. I've got a feeling there will be plenty.
Have you tried swapping clutches yet?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Have you tried swapping clutches yet?
I have not yet, I don't want to chew the rollers in a buddies secondary (not a big deal, I know, but I would just rather not)... new track, drivers, and rails will all be here either tomorrow or Thursday. If I'm still having issues I will steal clutches from a buddy.

Premium Features