• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ISOC snowcross - great racing, but...

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M
Mar 16, 2004
Minnesota
So I went to the ISOC snowcross races in Shakopee, MN at Canterbury Park on Saturday 1/23 and brought my 7 year old along.

I've gone to this event at least 5 times in the past, and usually enjoy it. However, this year it cost me $35 at the gate plus $15 for my 7 year old.

$50 for watching racing? Wow, I've got to say this will be the LAST year I'll be going if that trend continues. I'll go watch hillclimb/hillcross races outside with my son from now on.

Anyone else have a sore wallet?

Sundance Kid

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2001
Black Hills
I really can't believe anyone races or watches snocross anymore because of the costs.
I guess that's why entry numbers are pathetic. Nothing like back in the day.
Easy to see why most people are just riding. Especially in the mountains.
Who wants to pay too much to just watch or take 2-3 days & big $$$ to ride for less than an hour for the weekend.

I sure miss the good old days and am not sure if they'll ever return. Glad I was able to participate from the mid 70's until 2003. Sure saw a lot of changes. Biggest was number of participants declining til that particular type of racing died.

T
Dec 25, 2007
Just my 2 cents

Just thought I would quick add my 2cents. ISOC is the only reason there still is snowcross racing to watch. WSA ran themselves into the ground and were millions into bankruptcy. Personally knowing some of the individuals in charge of ISOC I know that they haven't found it very easy either. They have to pay for the location (likely not cheap at Cantabury), all the officials, have to employ people to set up the tracks, organize the event and vendors/racers, etc, etc. A lot more into it than you might think. Look around at anything you do these days...guarantee it costs more than it did in 'years past.' That is a simple fact of economic inflation. Seen new snowmobile costs? Gas? Motel rooms? I would put it on par with going to valleyfair/ six flags. Those prices have shot up as well. So, not trying to say that it doesn't hurt to pay (I should know... I am currently just a med student without a job in sight), but try to remember that they try really hard to make these events something you can enjoy. Give ISOC a chance to fix what WSA management tried to wreck.

Thanks-

S
Dec 10, 2007
I too was there this weekend. It was a little pricey to get in, but I give them mad props for keeping the track up to the best of their abilities for the weather on Saturday. But man, I got there around 11am and didn't leave till after Hibberts impossible win, so I was there a good chunk of time. I think ISOC could maybe speed some things up and not do so much grooming, that was probably the single most annoying thing of the day. It seems after every second race they were out there making it damn near perfect again, even when it wasnt bad. I know where we race motocross in the summer, they don't do any grooming after the morning, just gets more rutty which I think makes for a little bit better racing, but thats my opinion. Overall it was good to get out there and watch snocross after missing it in person for a few years.

I

IQmodster

Jan 4, 2009
In the cold
In doors

Off the subject (kind of). What ever happen to the indoor sno X? That was a blast. Im sure it cost way too much to rent the Metrodome AKA "Big Inflatable Toilet". :peace:

What does it cost to see the X Games live? Is it different per event?

I agree it is expensive, but also for the racers. Big time expensive! Most aspects of snowmobiling are a love-hate:brokenheart:. You love to do it, but it's hard to spend the kids lunch money to do it. :face-icon-small-hap

I
Nov 28, 2007
x-games is FREE to watch but there's a ton of sponsorship $$ into that event.
The TV coverage/commercials must help with the bills as well.

I

IQmodster

Jan 4, 2009
In the cold
Sorry

Sorry, I ment entry @ the gate or is that what you were refering to. I want to go out and see in person being Aspen signed for 10 more yrs!

S
Mar 23, 2008
Try driving a 450 lb sled around a track for 20 laps that is not groomed first. Grooming is an essential part of the racing thing. If they did not groom there would be a whole lot more injuries for one.

I

IQmodster

Jan 4, 2009
In the cold
agree

That is very true. Watching events on TV eliminates all of that waiting..oh yeah, COMMERCIALS! They do need the time to fix the track. It's only fair to all the racers.

The increase in laps has really made this event exciting. Unless Tucker H. is in town..then when he gets the hole shot, you might as well head for the exit, its over.

Premium Features