• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: High-Jacker Deep Powder Snowmobile Jack

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Great write-up Christopher! It is an excellent product and the more you use it, the more little tricks you will learn that make it work that much better and faster. There are a lot of different techniques to help the user easily get out of many different stuck situations.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
They are a must when I had my nytro. I could get unstuck faster than two on a regular sled. I couldn't roll my t-nytro over or it would leak oil all over the mountain. I took a lot of heat over it from my buddies. They painted terry's AAA in hot pink letters on my winshield and called it a grocery getter. I will admit I thought this was the gayest thing ever when I first seen them advertised. Then I had a buddy get me unstuck, in a couple of minutes, when four of us couldnt get it in a half hour. That was after I shoveled on it for a while and we tried pulling it around with another sled. I wonder how they are on narrower boards. Never even noticed it on the wide yammi boards. Beats a sore back. I had a buddy who blew a disc and had to quit. This might have saved his back. Awesome product. I did keep my jack I just havn't mounted it on anything else.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The only thing I can think of that would make this thing better, would be a segmented pole with sections that screw together so I could carry the entire device IN my tunnel bag and have NO sign of it on the outside of the sled.

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
I was on the fence about ordering one of the original highjacker jacks as well...just couldnt bring myself to spend $275 + $25 shipping on one.

I got stuck really bad last spring and was pretty well convinced we were gonna be leaving my Apex Mountain behind till the summer thaw hit the mountains! Luckily a group of hardcore snow crawlin Jeepers came by and yanked my sled outta the snowbank...whew, was I glad to see them!

Still....I couldnt bring myself to pull the trigger on the purchase.

Then I read your original posting on this thread, particularly the safety standpoint of risking life and limb in an extended overnight situation.

We go into the back country where there is zero cell reception, just my girlfriend and I.

This thread really made me re-think my stance and i immediately ordered one after reading it.

I'm in the middle of figuring how to mount it on my Apex right now...no easy task because of coolant lines, rear side exhaust tips & shrouds, etc...

But Ive about got it figured out and I know just saving our backs one time this puppy will pay for itself.

I may even figure out how to use it like a come along to get myself out of a tree well next time!

Yeah, I did that too last season, nose first...thought id never get it out! Luckily a couple of guys my age came by with about a half dozen young teen age boys and they all helped me yank that puppy out once again!

Damn that Apex is heavy sometimes...ugh.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Your Apex and my Nytro are both "Robust" machines !!:face-icon-small-hap

But the weight just goes away when your stuck and you have the jack with you..

I am pretty sure you will be kicking yourself for not having bought it before the first time you get to use it and DON'T have to dig yourself out!

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
Your Apex and my Nytro are both "Robust" machines !!:face-icon-small-hap

But the weight just goes away when your stuck and you have the jack with you..

I am pretty sure you will be kicking yourself for not having bought it before the first time you get to use it and DON'T have to dig yourself out!

Yep...I bet your right! lol

We're taking a three day trip this weekend and I have a very strong hunch the jack will get a good workout...full report when we get back!:face-icon-small-hap

T

TonyG

Feb 21, 2010
Haines Alaska
High Jacker on Apex

Here is how mine is mounted. These things work period. My friends sarcastically were saying "of coarse you need a jack you ride an Apex", till they saw it in action. TonyG

002.jpg

003-1.jpg

T

TonyG

Feb 21, 2010
Haines Alaska
Help hold it in place. I've found if you crank on thehandle to really lock the jack in place it bends the ubolt. So I tighten it moderately and bungy it.

cash

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Omaha
Bought one two years ago and it still sits in the box, after reading this thread I will have it mounted by the weekend and in use on the hills. My 15 year old son now rides with me, I always worry about him and I getting into a bad situation this will give me a little peace of mind. This is the best review I have read in a couple years.

Cash

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thank you for the compliment.
I try really hard to offer honest and detailed reviews of the products I by for my personal use.

BOULDERBOB

Premium Member
Jan 17, 2008
Boulder, Co
I too have thought about getting a hi-jacker but always thought what will the rest of the guys say? But then I remind myself that I'm usually the oldest in the gang having anywhere from 5 to 15 years on everyone else. I'm 55 now and its just not as easy as it used to be.
I hate having to sometimes wait on someone to give me hand, they don't mind, and I'm always there to help them but...I like being able to get it out myself.
I've also found that trying to pull the tunnel up out of a trench, even with a buddy helping, can be hard, your always in a bad position for your back, so I too have pulled the trigger and ordered one. Gonna mount it this week.

Besides the gang thought I was a little over reactive when I got a spot, now they agree it's great to have along. We'll see if this ends with the same welcome once they see it in action.

Last edited:
C

colorado logger

Dec 4, 2007
south fork co
Excellent Review

I turned 48 two weeks ago.
I LOVE the thing.
It is TOTALLY WORTH THE WEIGHT AND COST!

Good job Christopher, I was one of the riders who laughed at arcticman 31. We would all ride with Bill, He never tried to sell or even gave us a hard time. He would just use his jack to get us unstuck. Now all our crew has a jack and we use several times every ride.

I will call Bill in the morning and tell him what you think, He will be very pleased.

BOULDERBOB

Premium Member
Jan 17, 2008
Boulder, Co
Well I had the chance to use the jack and found one problem right away. When I went to jack the sled up the rear bumper started to bend! I've got a 2010 Ski Doo Everest XP. Now I'm looking at trying to get a stronger rear bumper.
On a positive note we did use it to straighten out a bent part this last ride, the guys kid me about all the gear I bring but the look on the reaction when they asked if I had a long pole was great, cause I had just the thing for the job, my high jacker.

I have used mine now for 4 years. All of my friends prefer to ride with me, in fact one friend made me go home and get it as I forgot to put it back on after a trip. I mounted the base plate on the side of the tunnel. I use some o-rings, I think Bill includes them? to stop the rattle. I have rolled the sled several times with no issue to the jack or sled. I have enjoyed explaining what it is to numerous other riders over the years. Nothing gets their attention like jacking your sled out of a three foot trench. I have also used it as a come along to pull a sled off a tree that found it's way between the skis. Absolutely the best snowmobile accessory out there.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Good job Christopher, I was one of the riders who laughed at arcticman 31. We would all ride with Bill, He never tried to sell or even gave us a hard time. He would just use his jack to get us unstuck. Now all our crew has a jack and we use several times every ride.

I will call Bill in the morning and tell him what you think, He will be very pleased.

Thanks.
I am VERY happy with his product.
Its always nice to have something that WORKS as advertised!

Premium Features