• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Install of BD turbo on 09 rmk 800

P
Nov 21, 2007
HAYDEN, IDAHO
After looking at the picture of the installed exhaust pipe going into the tunnel (looking down the running boards) will a boot hit that exhaust pipe when your sitting and putting your feet under there?:confused:

It's hard to tell from the picture, but I sure hope I don't melt a nice set of boots on that. LOL

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
didnt even notice it was there.... the way its positioned you would really have to jam your foot up in there to even toch it... just normally sitting your boot is a bout 3" away from it.

charlie99

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SL
I've done a fair bit of work on turbo diesel trucks so I know what turbos due when you dead head boost against a butterfly valve 10 lbs of boost has to go somewhere when they are closed and that is out the intake, ask around. Wastegates keep the boost from exceeding a set limit, that is why it is on the exhaust side so it can waste exhaust gases off to keep from over boosting

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
have you ever been around snowmobile turbos? every tech i've talked to said the pressure is waste gated out the wastegate.... it doesnt go back through the turbo causing it to stall

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
What is causing the turbo to stall when the butterfly closes is the pressurised air is going back through the turbo and out the air filter. It cannot go out the wastegate as the 2 routes are seperated by the seals in the turbo. The wastegate bleeds off excess exhaust (not intake)pressure to control boost. The BOV is there to keep the turbo from going into stall and they are supposed to help in off, on throttle use.

S
Dec 20, 2007
After looking at the picture of the installed exhaust pipe going into the tunnel (looking down the running boards) will a boot hit that exhaust pipe when your sitting and putting your feet under there?:confused:

It's hard to tell from the picture, but I sure hope I don't melt a nice set of boots on that. LOL

There is a tab that comes with the kit that can be welded to the end of the dump pipe to protect your boot from melting should you get in there where it can touch. I install it on mine and looks to work fine.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
What is causing the turbo to stall when the butterfly closes is the pressurised air is going back through the turbo and out the air filter. It cannot go out the wastegate as the 2 routes are seperated by the seals in the turbo. The wastegate bleeds off excess exhaust (not intake)pressure to control boost. The BOV is there to keep the turbo from going into stall and they are supposed to help in off, on throttle use.

if this is the case then why do the kits come with no blow off valve and they say you do no need one? i rode mine at 7lbs of boost and the turbo never stalled? i'm beginning to think i was miss imformed so fill me in!

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
IMO, There is no short term problems not having one, It will lead to turbo bearing failure sooner, by sooner that could mean replacing the center section at 10,000 miles instead of 100,000. See where I am going with this. It knocks the price of the kit down 150 bucks in a time when peoples wallets are tighter, that may be why they are not included. You do not need one to make a turbo sled run, they are just nice to have. The Stall we are talking about you would not notice while riding, basicilly when you hear that "whoosh" when you let of the throttle your turbo wheel has air trying to turn it the opposite direction. It doesnt mean it stalls while riding.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
just got off the phone w/ jr at bd and he informed me that with out a blow off valve there is way less lag and better throttle response due to the turbo not unspooling and then having to respool. the pressure does in fact ( yes i was wrong before i'll be the first to admit it) blow back through the turbo, however the boost levels are relatively low and these turbos are built for diesel trucks and what not to go 10,000 plus miles, thus not really hurting the turbo very bad. they have found through their R&D work that not having a blow off valve is better, with the blow off valve when the pressure is released through the valve the turbo doesnt stay under pressure there fore when you get back into the throttle you have to wait for the turbo to re-spool causing some lag and worse throttle response

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
We almost said the same thing, I do disagree on the response thing. If the Air is going backwards through the turbo it is in effect trying to turn it backwards. I do see where he is coming from though with the BOV releasing all the pressurised intake air, the turbo has to recharge the tube from scratch. He knows what seems to work best with his kits. If they sell it without them I trust there kit works best that way. Just for your reference the 2860rs is no where big enough for a diesel truck without having 2 or more of them

charlie99

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SL
I've heard a few guys say without a BOV that lag is worse getting on off the throttle becasue off the pressure trying to come back threw the turbo. When does BD say a BOV is necassary.

charlie99

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SL
They probably don't run a BOV becasue they run the larger exhaust housing .86 over the .64 and probably takes longer to lose boost through the turbo than threw a BOV, I guess trying to keep boost on demand.

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
I rode the Demo D8 turbo at 8psi and it had 0 lag problems I have even talked to others that are big into the two stroke turbo units and at 10psi and below it is not needed not much volume in the new short charge tubes as well.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Turbo Install Info

Thanks for taking all the time and sharing all of the pictures and information on the BD turbo set up. I have recently been seriously considering this type of set up but I am undecided right now between the BD kit and the aerocharger set up offered thru triple S polaris in Utah. Their kit is made by the turbo doc and is suppose to have no lag so does any one know if which kit works better?

P
Nov 21, 2007
HAYDEN, IDAHO
We almost said the same thing, I do disagree on the response thing. If the Air is going backwards through the turbo it is in effect trying to turn it backwards. I do see where he is coming from though with the BOV releasing all the pressurised intake air, the turbo has to recharge the tube from scratch. He knows what seems to work best with his kits.

I agree with your statement and would like to add a little bit to this discussion. There are 2 types of BOV (blow off valves) atmospheric and recirculating...most people prefer atmospheric b/c of the sound it makes (pshshhhhh) sound when releasing the throttle. It discharges the pressure into the atmosphere giving it the sound.

A recirculating BOV is the most efficient (my own opinion from research i've done for sleds, jetski, and auto use). It takes the instant pressure when the throttle is released and puts it back into the intercooler. The hesitation is just long enough to allow the system to depressurize and keep the turbo from stalling out (due to the back pressure of the throttle bodies closing.) Why do you think these turbo manufacturers are bolting throttle bodies to airboxes now....most throttle bodies that blewoff were a result of the pressure when throttle was chopped or let off suddenly from a huge run while under full boost. The pressure inside the intake side has to go somewhere...that is where/when a BOV is needed.

I don't disagree with BD or any other companies recommendations or experiences. I just personally prefer to have the very minute lag to deal with (and i mean, little to nothing...maybe .1 second)by having a BOV. I think the upside and less wear and tear is by far worth the price tag, roughly $130.

I would have to agree with Punisher on this one. I feel that BOV's are a real good idea and should be on all kits. I found last season that the BOV I was using wasn;t working too good and my sled had a bit of a run on problem for a split second when I let off the throttle. I bought a new Synapse BOV for this season and I'm going to plumb it into my system so it recirculates somewhat and see how that works. Good info here though.

Tyler

Last edited:
Premium Features