• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how many miles on m7 before new rings

G

glaciermonkey

Dec 6, 2007
skidro willey, wa
was wondering how many miles people get on there m7's before they start thinking about a new top end? also is it always better to do pistons, rings and wrist pin or just rings if the pistons look good?

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
I ran mine till it melted down so I could justify a big bore. I got 1800 miles before melt down. Lots of this was a learning curve with mods and fuel controllers.....................

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
i've got 5,000 miles on my M8 and have been thinking about doing it this summer. since the cylinders are coated if the pistons look good would just change rings...

T
Jan 19, 2009
Georgetown ca
i've got 5,000 miles on my M8 and have been thinking about doing it this summer. since the cylinders are coated if the pistons look good would just change rings...

why would you put in 5,000 mile old pistons?

I believe when the rings are dead the piston is dead, whats a 100 insurance policy when your 20 miles deep in the snow?

J

joeoim

Dec 29, 2007
Western Colorado
Blew at 4870 mi

glaciermonkey,

My mechanic told me I needed to put new pistons in this summer. said old ones looked good, compression was good, but was time.

2 weeks ago I was working it pretty hard in wet snow and it blew up. Luckily I was about 2 miles from a road (was headed in). Sucked a ring into the muffler, so I rode it to the road.
New cylinder, head, pistons, so far.

Had it lasted one ore day I might have had a rough afternoon and a helicopter bill also.

Will not let it go that far in the future.

I missed a lot of good snow this last 2 weeks.

Joe

Premium Features