• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How hard is it to tune

S

Shred Master

Mar 14, 2008
Alright, i just got my boondockers turbo in on thursday and haven't bothered to install it until i get my timbersled rear end so i can take the sled apart once but how hard is it really to tune these things im only a highschool student and have never done this before but can you explain what i really have to do because ive read the instructions but i wanna knwo how to tune it from people that have put turbos on themselves

S
Oct 29, 2008
Very easy to tune. I didn't do my install because it was a bit over my head and I don't have the facilities to do so. When I first picked it up I was scared to death, had no idea about fuel mapping and EFI's as I have always been on a N/A sled. Upon installing boondockers starting numbers I went for my first ride. The starting numbers were REALLY REALLY close so dont feel like you are gonna change everything. Once I had a general understanding of EGT's, thier relationship to fuel mapping and how to read my boondocker stats.....it really comes together. Just take your time and ask as many questions as you need to. There are many people on this forum willing to help you.

I now have three days on my sled this season (120 miles) and feel like I have it tuned in pretty close. Gonna take you a full day of checking stats, resetting, running and then do it all over. It really helped for me to go up and write down everything I was Running (psi, egts, temp). Make yourself a chart and you will save yourself a headache.

Remeber....ASK AS MANY QUESTIONS AS YOU NEED TO! At one point the guys giving you answers and feedback were asking to. Nobody comes out the womb with inherient turbo knowlege. GL

N
Oct 1, 2008
Boise, ID
Thanks for the good advise I'm mid way through installing a boondocker pump gas kit on my 08 700 dragon and was wondering how close and what kind of tuning I have in store. I'm also running EGT's I was told those are the way to go.

S
Oct 29, 2008
With boondocker starting numbers and a quality EGT guage ( i have koso) there should be no trouble tunning in your new turbo. I was "overwhelmed" at first as I had no expierence with EFI, mapping or turbos but trust me, very easy with the 2 factors mentioned above

Premium Features