• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

gen 4 engine build specs/ turbo/ring gaps

T
Mar 16, 2018
hey fellas. i have a 2018 850, 600 miles, silber turbo kit, riding at 10k, i run 1/2 av 1/2 93 pump. on the 5lbs tune. last year i cokked the mag side piston. all 4 corners started galling. ive torn it down, had us chrome re do the cylinder and bought oem pistons. silber tells me oe pistions are best and stock specs.
im big into engine building and making power on subarus, bmws and dsm. my question is, with the added boost why wouldnt i open up the ring gaps? also, with the sled not having anything for miles im stumped on why it had blown up in the first place. ive read a few times the silber tunes arnt that great? anyone have a better option?

also can somone please help me out on the engine specs. cant seem to find what im looking for in the serch, torque specs, factory ring gaps etc.

merry christmas fellas

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
hey fellas. i have a 2018 850, 600 miles, silber turbo kit, riding at 10k, i run 1/2 av 1/2 93 pump. on the 5lbs tune. last year i cokked the mag side piston. all 4 corners started galling. ive torn it down, had us chrome re do the cylinder and bought oem pistons. silber tells me oe pistions are best and stock specs.
im big into engine building and making power on subarus, bmws and dsm. my question is, with the added boost why wouldnt i open up the ring gaps? also, with the sled not having anything for miles im stumped on why it had blown up in the first place. ive read a few times the silber tunes arnt that great? anyone have a better option?

also can somone please help me out on the engine specs. cant seem to find what im looking for in the serch, torque specs, factory ring gaps etc.

merry christmas fellas
Considering the OEM piston on has 1 ring, opening up the ring gap under forced induction would only lead to blow by and increased crankcase pressure.

I've ran OEM pistons under boost for a LONG time (since about '02). The stock spec for clearance (pistons and rings) is fine.

They will get heat soaked and loose some compression even naturally aspirated.

The Silber kit seems to need more octane for deto than other aftermarket kits I've noticed.

For example, my MPI 850 kit runs straight 91 octane on 6-7 psi boost with zero deto. at 7-10k elevation.

Premium Features