• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hit the 200 mile mark on my 2015 SBA, some comments and notes

newfrank

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2013
So I've finally got some mileage on my new 2015 SBA 800. In Parry Sound there's probably 4ft of fluff on the lakes and in the bush. I got about 100 miles in powder this weekend and 100 on the trail. I have stock clutching and gearing with the 2" track and the .375" torsion springs. I'm coming off of a 2011 ski doo xp 600 so this new sled is a huge upgrade.

The first thing I noticed is how awful the running boards are. You guys were not kidding. They hold snow like crazy, just one circle and I couldn't hold my feet on the boards anymore. Had to stop and swipe them out. I've already ordered a set of B&M Fab burly boards in textured black. They should arrive in a week or so.

Powder Handling

This sled is fantastic in the powder. The longer track, deeper lugs, slightly narrower stance and the pro chassis is crazy fun in the powder. The machine is so easy to tip over and get a nice line going, very easy to carve either just standing normally on the machine or wrong foot forward. I think I need to order a set of footwell blockoff plates though. I kept packing snow under my clutches and under the battery.

Trail Handling

I wasn't really sure what to expect with this thing on trail. I kept reading mixed reviews; some people loved some hated it on trail. I personally really like it, even with the 2" track. I installed a set of reversible ice strachers for the trail and managed to keep temps at 125-127 the entire time. There were no weird vibrations or any noticeable vibrations from the 2" track. I can definitely tell that it's a longer sled than my shorty xp but it doesn't feel like a 144. Corners great and the suspension handles the bumps pretty good. Requires a small amount more body english in the real tight and twisty trails but I was able to maintain 40+ mph speeds no problems.

I got rid of the stock skis and installed my set of USI triple threat X2's. These things float amazing in the powder, rail on the trails and are an all around great ski.

I was bottoming out on the bigger bumps but 2 clicks stiffer in the rear shock fixed that. Front shocks are at 6 clicks from full soft and spring preload is about 6 threads from full preload. Center shock I am set at 6 clicks from full soft and I think I turned the preload in about 6 turns from the lowest preload. I think it's at a good setup but its still pretty early and I'll need some more miles to know for sure but for now I am super happy with it.

Engine and Clutch Performance

Engine wise I am also very happy. Coming from a 600, this 800 definitely is more powerful. I've ridden a 2013 800 etec renegade before. I was somewhat anxious to see how the 800 cfi-2 performed because of so many people saying its underpowered (especially on dooTalk lol) but I've got no complaints. If it is a weak 800 it sure as **** doesn't feel like it. Maybe the power is getting to the ground more efficiently? I don't know but whatever the case it just works and is a lot of fun. Not to mention the motor sounds wicked.

It doesn't seem to use a whole lot of oil either which surprised me, considering it's an 800 and I installed Paaso's vented cap.

I love the clutching on this machine. It pulls hard through all RPM, clutches stay cool and I'm getting consistent RPM at 8100. I'm running a gates carbon belt and am happy with it also. It's a bit stiffer and I'm hoping it performs better than the stock 115 belt. The 115 belt is crazy expensive ($200 at the dealer!!!!) while the gates carbon belt is around $100.

Gauge cluster comments

I really like how I get an actual coolant temperature rather than bars (like on a ski doo). It's nice knowing when my sled is good to go once it hits 100 degrees and even better knowing when I need to put down the scratchers on the trail. The gauge is really nice as well. I like the red backlight. I think I may need to get a gauge lifter though as it is hard to read the RPM when I'm standing (which is most of the time).

Final Thoughts and TO DO List

So there we have it. 200 miles in an I am sold on the 800 switchback assault. I definitely see more of these sleds in my future. Like I mentioned before, my only complaint is the running boards and maybe the positioning of the gauge.

I've got the B&M Burly Boards ordered and will isntall those sometimes in the next few weeks and I may order a set of footwell block off plates. I've already installed the polaris tether and the Skinz float plate.

Frank

IMG_20150110_152916_zpsf92dffdb.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome write up....I've got a 2014 that I bought last spring and my mileage is about the same as yours. I've got the 1.35 Cobra and I installed .375 springs and had the rear shocks revalved......world of difference! A couple questions....how hard was the install of the float plate and are you using Polaris full synthetic oil? :thumb:

P

Powder Buster

Feb 3, 2009
If it's not to late, I'd recommend going gloss black on your boards instead of textured. I got the B&M textured for my 12 pro and wished I'd have gone with gloss black. I think the texture allows the snow to stick where the slippery gloss finish would not. Really was disappointed because where all the tubes meet near the tunnel REALLY collected snow, creating little ice balls that were very difficult to kick loose. Very annoying, as I could feel them under my boots all the time. I think if they were gloss that problem would have been avoided. Other than that, I absolutely loved the rigidity of them.

Enjoy your new sled!

newfrank

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2013
Awesome write up....I've got a 2014 that I bought last spring and my mileage is about the same as yours. I've got the 1.35 Cobra and I installed .375 springs and had the rear shocks revalved......world of difference! A couple questions....how hard was the install of the float plate and are you using Polaris full synthetic oil? :thumb:

Float plate install was very easy. Skinz gives you a bracket that goes under the pipe. The front/top of the float plate bolts through the belly pan and to the bracket while the rear/bottom of the plate gets riveted to the bulkhead. Hardest part was getting the rivets to pop, but that was only because I had a broken thumb while doing the install lol.

I'm using the Polaris VES Gold. I think first tank the dealer put a gallon of polaris blue so seat the rings? Now I'm on to gold.

If it's not to late, I'd recommend going gloss black on your boards instead of textured. I got the B&M textured for my 12 pro and wished I'd have gone with gloss black. I think the texture allows the snow to stick where the slippery gloss finish would not. Really was disappointed because where all the tubes meet near the tunnel REALLY collected snow, creating little ice balls that were very difficult to kick loose. Very annoying, as I could feel them under my boots all the time. I think if they were gloss that problem would have been avoided. Other than that, I absolutely loved the rigidity of them.

Enjoy your new sled!

They've already shipped so it's a tad too late lol. I'll see how they go. Anything will be better than stock thats for sure.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Consider the Polaris defroster bag to relocate your gauge. I really like mine. As long as you don't cram it full it keeps extra goggles/ gloves nice and warm.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
Ditch the crap stock bumper. Only a matter of time until you catch good traction and wheelie and its gone

Also I like the heavy duty front bumpers as well. Great for running over scrub

What elevation are you running. I may be able to recommend a few clutch setups

newfrank

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2013
Consider the Polaris defroster bag to relocate your gauge. I really like mine. As long as you don't cram it full it keeps extra goggles/ gloves nice and warm.

I don't like how it moves the key up and to the left side. But I'll take a look at it.

Ditch the crap stock bumper. Only a matter of time until you catch good traction and wheelie and its gone

Also I like the heavy duty front bumpers as well. Great for running over scrub

What elevation are you running. I may be able to recommend a few clutch setups

I'm going to hang on to the stock front bumper for now and see how it is. I'm going to have to save up though for a new bumper. I've spent enough money for now lol.

As for elevation, I'm running at 500-1000ft.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Can't believe poo doesn't put the RMK boards on the switchbacks, that's dumb!
Turn up your oiler, very oil use and add some premix to the tank. Seems to be the cheapest hope for keeping the 800s alive longer. Make sure you're feeding it 40:1 at least with the oiler.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I don't like how it moves the key up and to the left side. But I'll take a look at it.

I'm going to hang on to the stock front bumper for now and see how it is. I'm going to have to save up though for a new bumper. I've spent enough money for now lol.

I plugged the hole in the bag and kept my key inside the bag. If I stop I'm usually getting my hat out of the bag anyway so I have it unzipped. Otherwise I shut it down with my kill switch and just pull the cord.

newfrank

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2013
Can't believe poo doesn't put the RMK boards on the switchbacks, that's dumb!
Turn up your oiler, very oil use and add some premix to the tank. Seems to be the cheapest hope for keeping the 800s alive longer. Make sure you're feeding it 40:1 at least with the oiler.

Yeah I'm not sure why they don't. Maybe have to retool at their plant or something? Dunno. It sucks either way.

I'm going to keep the oiler as is for now. It seems to be alright, and it flows nicely since it's vented. If anything does happen though I have warranty.

Ok. At that elevation is try the 62g weights and the SLP blue pink spring

The 62s may work real well for you. They are just a tad heavy for me at 1800'

Aren't 62's whats in there from the dealer? It was set up for around 1000ft elevation already. Hits 8300 RPM and holds steady as is.

I plugged the hole in the bag and kept my key inside the bag. If I stop I'm usually getting my hat out of the bag anyway so I have it unzipped. Otherwise I shut it down with my kill switch and just pull the cord.

Hmm, thats an idea. I'll have to look in to it.

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada

Sorry if that got worded wrong. I was saying the 62s should be spot on for you at 1000'. At 2000 they are about a gram heavy.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
It's an 800 - should be running 10-68's at that elevation with the stock spring, given the RPM's reported.

newfrank

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2013
Sorry if that got worded wrong. I was saying the 62s should be spot on for you at 1000'. At 2000 they are about a gram heavy.

It's an 800 - should be running 10-68's at that elevation with the stock spring, given the RPM's reported.

Yes, this. I read the manual and thats exactly what it said.

I would look at the holeshot windshield defrost bag.

https://www.gobigparts.com/HOLESHOT-DASH-BAG.html

Thanks, I'll take a look!

Premium Features