• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help with primary spring explanation.

I'm trying to figure this clutch stuff out and I'm looking for a simple explanation about the primary spring rate numbers. From what I undestand the first number will affect the engagement rpms, if thats right then what is the second number and what will it effect?

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
The higher the first # the higher the engagement, the higher the second # the higher you top RPM.

B
Dec 21, 2006
The higher the first # the higher the engagement, the higher the second # the higher you top RPM.

That is pretty good. The first number is your engagement. The stiffer the spring the higher your engagement the lower the number the lower your engagement. The second number is your shift out. The higher the number the higher your RPM and the lower the number the lower your rpm. Now keep in mind that different companies test there springs at different compression measurements. That is why you will see 125lbs at 1 1/4". Hope this helps

S
Apr 10, 2008
Sheridan, WY
I don't mean to jack this thread but if any one knows, I was thinking about putting the gold primary spring (75lbs/275lbs) on my 09 M8, I think the stock spring is (114lbs/267lbs), will the higher finishing rate of the gold spring affect my top rpm's enough to worry about, will I need to change weights or something? I am trying to get rid of a slight bog at engagement. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

PowerJoe

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
If you have a bog at engagement I would think the gold spring would make it worse. I tried the gold spring on my M7 and didn't like the low engagement and went back to the stock yellow/white because I like the snap out of the hole.

The gold spring shouldn't affect your RPMs enough at full shift out for you to notice. Maybe 50 RPMs

Make sure you have your belt deflection set right as that can cause a bog. You want your belt to be tight so it starts out in a lower gear.

I've been thinking about installing a Gold spring on my 09 M1000. How big of a drop in Rpms (engagement and shift out) will I see going from a 122/285 to a 75/275 spring rate. My sled was engaging at 3500 and is now engageing at 4000, :confused: Could this cause any increase in belt heat/slippage?

Last edited:
I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
I don't mean to jack this thread but if any one knows, I was thinking about putting the gold primary spring (75lbs/275lbs) on my 09 M8, I think the stock spring is (114lbs/267lbs), will the higher finishing rate of the gold spring affect my top rpm's

I think the stock spring is 122/285. I am running the gold in my '08 M8 and think the gold spring is a huge improvement over the stock spring IMO. I love the smooth engagement, and the final shift RPM is splitting hairs at a 10lb difference. :beer;

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Can someone please post an attachment to an Arctic Cat clutch spring chart?

I would sure love to have one for reference.

Also, I suppose there are Cutler, SLP, Dalton, etc springs available to fill in the holes in the Arctic Cat spring line.

This "Gold" spring. Is it an Arctic Cat spring or an aftermarket spring?

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
Can someone please post an attachment to an Arctic Cat clutch spring chart?

I would sure love to have one for reference.

Also, I suppose there are Cutler, SLP, Dalton, etc springs available to fill in the holes in the Arctic Cat spring line.

This "Gold" spring. Is it an Arctic Cat spring or an aftermarket spring?

The "gold" spring is from Arctic Cat. Why it isn't stock I do not know...AC are you listening?

Chart...

attachment.php

So Saber are you using the Gold spring? If so what kind of performance changes have you seen. I'm a typical mountain rider, a little of every thing but try to set up my sled to get up on the snow and not trench, climbing and tree carveing are my preference.

S

sledhead699

Dec 10, 2007
whitefish, (havre) MT
i put a gold primary in my dads M8 and it help out a lot. ingages a lot lower and the top end is about the same. wanted a lower ingament because it would hit hard off the bottom and trench real bad. got ride of that problem now. i think it was well worth it

I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
So Saber are you using the Gold spring? If so what kind of performance changes have you seen. I'm a typical mountain rider, a little of every thing but try to set up my sled to get up on the snow and not trench, climbing and tree carveing are my preference.

You'll see less trenching for sure; and when you do bury it the sled will creep back up onto the snow with very little track spin vs. the usual "as soon as she starts to move.....PIN IT" routine.:beer;

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
Here's a graph of some primary springs, adjusted for the distances they are measured. Linear line .. not exact, but close enough for my simplistic brain. SLP & Speedwerx are measured at a different distance than AC OEM springs. Cutler's I believe are measured the same is OEM.

The solid vertical black arrows are where AC measures (full shift out on the right).

PrimarySprings.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features