• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help!!! Turbo Dragon wont run at full throttle

J
Dec 2, 2007
North Idaho
gutterball

I know you said that fuel pressure was good. did you check the volume. not sure what an exact spec is but i would think at least 1/2 liter in 30 seconds.
Just a thought.

G

gutterball

Dec 9, 2007
alberta
Himark: I did in fact completely remove the boondocker harness and the resistor that jumps the stock altitude compensator, and reconnected the stock harness to the ecu.
Silber : good call on the plugs, I usually gap my plugs at 018 but this sled usually runs fine on stock gap as well.
SNOW JW: I did check fuel pressure but was not able to check volume as I dont have a spec, I struggle with the idea that low fuel pressure or volume will cause a rich condition.

One thing we did try, when running at wot on the track stand we added fuel through the throttle bodies and it didnt like it at all, if it was lean it would have responded differently.
Thanks again all

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Just a thought but if I remember right the Dragons will dump a pile of fuel and there will be no light on when the DET sensor tells the ecu there is deto weather there really is or not it could be a bad DET sensor or actual Deto.

What's your Elevation?

G

gutterball

Dec 9, 2007
alberta
XC700116: I have not replaced the det sensor and probably should try that, you would think running stock with 107 motor octane it wouldnt be detonating,funny thing though this started about the time I first tried the VP111 I bought here in Calgary.
It is my understanding that Boondockers concerns with VP fuel are outdated and have since been determined to be a non issue( that came directly from boondocker)
Day after tomorrow I will pull all of the race fuel out and run it on straight 91 octane and see if there is a difference.

S

Silber

Nov 26, 2007
XC700116: I have not replaced the det sensor and probably should try that, you would think running stock with 107 motor octane it wouldnt be detonating,funny thing though this started about the time I first tried the VP111 I bought here in Calgary.
It is my understanding that Boondockers concerns with VP fuel are outdated and have since been determined to be a non issue( that came directly from boondocker)
Day after tomorrow I will pull all of the race fuel out and run it on straight 91 octane and see if there is a difference.

I have seen sled miss and do funny things at WOT from running too much race gas.

mr.bloomenrader 2 u

Premium Member
Mar 4, 2008
highmore sd
Keep thread going

I am watching this thread intensely for i am experiencing the same problem. Mine will occur at mid throttle also , but not always. This weekend in the horns on a steep chute it ran up fine, i turned around at bottom and shot again and this time near the crest it sputtered and belched and lost all power for a split. I thought i blew it but it was fine. Seems to happen very more though now. Friend of mine thinks it to rich but im not sure, plugs aren't black and fouled, so not sure what to think. Haven't messed with my boondocker box since i've had it. Maybe it's time?

M

mngoat

Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Himark: This may be a rich condition, but it is likley not a boost related, or a control box issue, I have removed the turbo and all related electronics from the equation, and it still displays the same symtoms.
EricW: thanks for posting the picture, I thought the connections on the tank were the same size, is yours a 2007 or 2008 model 700, mine is a 2007, the 08 is diferent.
nate18: mine started the same way, fouling plugs in 1 mile, change them it was good for a little while and then worse.
It is not a control box issue, I tried adding a ton of fuel, and tried removing a ton of fuel and neither made a noticable difference.If I learn anything I will let you know.
Thanks again to everyone for your input.

Gutterball, This is nate18. Thanks for keeping me in the loop. Mine turned into a plug fouling monster also. My issues did start after one morning when starting the sled I had no headlight or gauges working(stock or AF gauge) sled ran fine. I shut if off and started it again, still no lights or gauges but sled ran fine. Shut off again and started again, still no lights or gauges. I let the sled run for a bit to warm up, had hood open and after a couple minutes idling looking at the ground the headlight all of a sudden came on and gauges worked.????? unfortunately when the the lights and gauges powered up it must have given my oscillator box for my oil pump a voltage surge and took the board out. Didn't notice till later in the morning. Got oil pump up and working but ever since sled has had the problem on top end. Just like yours no matter how much fuel i put to it or take away it doesn't seem to make a difference.

G

gutterball

Dec 9, 2007
alberta
Silber:I have heard guys saying the same thing that at lower boost levels there machine didnt like the race fuel,But as I said this machine ran awsome till it went up the ramp one night and then sucked when it came out of the trailer the next day.
mr.bloomenrader 2 u: I wouldnt be to quick to start making changes in your box, I tried that, I think were chasing a ghost, I am convinced this is not a tuning issue, it has to be a mechanical or electrical failure.I dont believe a setup will all of a sudden go that far out of tune.

nate18: I too had some wierd electrical symptoms just cant remember exactly what they were right now.

O

OnTheEdge

Jan 10, 2009
Minot, ND
I know someone who has a TD800 and it wont run either. Polaris has a problem with the voltage regulator, that wrecks the stator, then burns up the ecu. But im not sure if its on that year. It sounds like your lean popping on the top end. running out of fuel. Maybe the fuel pump isnt getting enough voltage and not sending enough fuel to it.The stator could be working fine until it warms up then doesnt? Also what came across my mind is could it be an injector problem. :beer;
My thoughts...

Last edited:
G

gutterball

Dec 9, 2007
alberta
nate18: It just ocurred to me something I saw a few times with this setup. In the two of three days before this went bad, I would notice once in a while at idle, the machine would stumble bad(almost stall) and the AF reading would spike to 20 to 1 or so then it would settle back down and idle fine.
Also in those same 2 or 3 days I noticed at 6 to 7 pounds of boost my machine pulled at all altitudes nicley, but when I turned the boost up to say 9 lbs it would sputter a bit at wot, I assumed it was rich because the temps dropped, but it didnt seem to improve by removing fuel.
I dont know what these things mean, but im thinking they might be related.

Last edited:
G

gutterball

Dec 9, 2007
alberta
OnTheEdge: My injectors were removed, cleaned and flow tested last spring.
The computer at the dealer can tell you that the injectors are firing but not what they are flowing.

M

mngoat

Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
How long was your oil pump not working????

To Long :)......Rode about 18 miles on the trail, then did some boondocking back in black canyon around west. Finally started smelling something getting hot(plastic smell) and seen right away when i pulled the side panel off that no oil in the line to the turbo. Pull the sled in checked everything over, got the pump running again went out on the airport and the turbo spooled just fine for the most part, went on a long trail ride(down to mesa falls and back from west the next day) and some boondocking the following day. Turbo seemed to be working just fine. I have since pulled it apart and sent the center unit in for rebuild. But was still spinning ok. There was some play in the shaft so it was just a matter of time b/4 it went. I was very impressed that it ran so long w/o oil and didn't completely lunch itself. Don't know if it's just the quality of the Garrett turbo or the amzoil that i was using. The turbo is the only thing i have ever ran amzoil in.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
To Long :)......Rode about 18 miles on the trail, I was very impressed that it ran so long w/o oil and didn't completely lunch itself. Don't know if it's just the quality of the Garrett turbo or the amzoil that i was using. The turbo is the only thing i have ever ran amzoil in.

Only oil I will use.

Not to side track thread but should be noted. I have seen cars with busted off oil pans and no oil (guys wife) drives it 10 plus miles to get to exit and home. Totally figured on new motor, threw pan on it and still going down road today. I will attribute your fortune to making a wise decision on oil. Sorry for hijacking for a sec.

Gutterball

I talked with reid today. He mentioned your clogged fuel filter some time agao. Would it make sense that some deris made its way past your filter and into your injectors after they were tested? He also said that he is coming across more and more failed ecms! He thinks we should try to find a color matching ecm to try. Call me for more info

Kurt

G

gutterball

Dec 9, 2007
alberta
Kurt
The Ecm sounds like a possibility to me, I'm not convinced on the injectors as I seem to be seeing a rich condition not a lean condition at wot.
I will check the reeds and a few other things suggested here, this weekend, and post what I see early next week.

H
Nov 26, 2007
Close to Mountains
My son's friend Paul has had his 600 into dealership 4 to 5 times for it quiting and won't restart.
1st said it was throttle cable, then TPS, then plugs, then bad adjustment on throttle cables after customer installed risers. Tonight picked it up and half way up loading ramp quit again, this time when they scanned it said bad stator and coils.:confused::confused::confused:

Premium Features