• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help - Polaris Edge With Mechanical Reverse Kit

Not sure if this is the proper location for this topic, but Polaris Edge Chassis owners... I need info...

I have a 2003 Polaris RMK 800. Had the dealer install the mechanical reverse kit when I bought it new 12 years ago. This is the first repair ever needed in 5,300 miles. I need to remove the chaincase cover, but cannot figure out how it clears the internal gears and inside hull. This is not the slimmer factory cover, it has a bulkier external shape due to the reverse kit... all the bolts are removed and the cover is currently detached, but the shifting fork & pawls inside the chain cover that engage with the bottom reverse gearing assembly will not release from those gear channels - which must happen to enable the cover to pull away and clear the gear teeth & hull. I can't even see a way for the external shaft for the shifting fork to be removed from the cover.... there must be a techique... there are thousands of these mechanical reverse systems running around on the trails...

I suspect this mechanical reverse kit (and cover design) is identical for all Polaris Edge chassis, regardless of model or engine size... even the touring sleds are likely the same... so anybody with mechanical reverse kit knowledge for the edge chassis can probably help me. Are there special tools needed for gear spring compression and dissassembly??? I've had back yard mechanics tell me I need to drill out rivets on the tunnel... take off my front suspension arm.... and cut my hull and belly pan open, yada, yada... but there must be a trick to removing these covers because the dealerships install them on a routine basis and don't need to chop up a new sled... can somebody please explain to me how to get my cover off without resorting to the techniques of "Wile E Coyote" using an "Acme Company Jackhammer"... the force of a mountain cliff... and two cases of dynamite???

I am really frustrated because this sled is still like brand new!

Last edited:
D
Nov 5, 2014
Maine
There is no need to cut rivets or remove trailing arms! All that needs to be out is the exhaust. Its hard to explain in words but what you do is hold the shift arm so that it pushes the cover out about a quarter to half inch from the back of the case then slide the cover upward. Do this in reverse order to get the cover back on. If this doesn't make sense let me know and ill see about doing a video to show how its done.

Premium Features