• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riot S fitment on an SSR 450S

E
Dec 10, 2021
NY
new to snowbikes-
new to dirtbikes really-
I picked up a 2020 SSR 450 S for the hills this past summer when we got the farm.
hills.jpg
No specs listed for a chinese copy of the Honda so thought I'd post a couple fitment notes I found adding a Riot S package onto the bike.
Hope you guys can give me some pointers or warnings as I work through my first build.

I ordered the riot S sled kit based on a crf 450x 2006 which I believe is the model that the ssr mostly matches.
For fitting on the track kit it was a little too tight following the fitment chart.
spacer swap.jpg
On the right inside side I used the number 59 shim instead of the recommended number 40
number 59.jpg
which came in the kit and wasn't specified anywhere else.
after that (the rest to spec in fitment chart) it fit snug both sides but only without the chain glide on the left-
right side.jpg
left side.jpg
The chain glide stuck out past the spacer a good 3/16"
chain glide.jpg
so I trimmed the front edge of the glide and left the back edge top and bottom with full meat where the chain actually touches.
a little grease and the pivot bolt hand pushed on in.
glide fit in.jpg

The smallest set of spacers fit perfect for the top strut bolt.
smallest.jpg
strut.jpg

got It on the lift-
set the chain tension to 7/8" deflection-

The brake line came pre filled.... but I couldn't pass the lever assembly through past the airbox-
next time might be faster to take off the airbox, but I removed the lever and re-bled the brakes.

tested it out strapped on the lift and the track was spinning true like a balanced belt sander.... so excited so far-

On the front end spacers I found the bolt didn't reach with enough thread.

not enough thread.jpg
The distance between the forks was perfect but the right side spacer (didn't have a number and took me a few to figure out) it comes as 2 pieces, the shorter outside piece which sets the distance between forks and the inside piece which was sliding into the axle clamp. That pushed the bolt head out too far .
right side measure.jpg

so I measured the inside piece to where it would touch the clamp shoe and cut it down-
mark and hack.jpg

cleaned and greased.jpg

after that everything locked in nice-following the fitment instructions-

I did need to stick a board under the left side of the ski and lower the bike on it to get the pressure on the rubber for the axel pin holes to line up -
which is tight but I can now see the value of the trio in guiding the pivot tension of the ski......(maybe after my first season)
locked in nice.jpg

Now need snow-

kit mounted.jpg

I just got a trail tech tto temp guage the sparkplug version to put on-
I have a PST honda 450 x engine cover on order with cooper (will note how that fits the ssr when it comes in)
Also ordered the selkirk honda aluminum radiator guard-
and some storm handguards with a new pair of gloves-

Let me know if there are any must checks or things I might have missed.

The front end suspension on the ssr comes pretty tight but I have room to tighten it up- so will start there-
and look forward to playing with the fixed strut length... the track sits pretty evenly flat for start with my weight on

One thing I don't have yet is an airbox precover-
I assume you pull the foam stock filter as it soaks up water, freezes over and then blocks the air?
Timbersled site only has crf 450 x for 2019 or the 450 R back to 2013
Maybe try both to see if one can fit or be moded to fit?
I like the simplicity of just swapping out the foam-
open to other suggestions or recommends-
I will usually ride in the 0-32 temps.

I appreciate any advise. I know it's not the power build you guys are riding but I'm hoping it will be a good affordable start for myself.
Thanks-

Premium Features