• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help me decide.....Wedge or Edge

F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
I know this has mostly to do with personnel preference but...........?
I have a 98 RMK700 that works great. Over the years I done a lot of extras and tweaks to keep it running at least near the front. Actually it's a blast to ride, and never quits running.
I come across an 05 RMK700 in sweet condition. I believe that's the last year of the old body??
I'm happy with the HP of the 700 and both run a 2 x 144".
Besides the looks, am I moving up?? What's better about the 05 over a 98??

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
if you can get the edge for a pretty good deal i would say go for it

i love my edge sleds

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
Owned both the wedge and edge chassis at the same time, edge transfered better in the deep powder, edge 700 motor has ves and had a slighly smoother power band, top end HP about the same. Edge chassis slighlty better on the trail with it's extra light suspension vs the extra 10 on the 98. The 05 weights less than the 98, better seat on the 05, you don't slip off as easy. Better running boards don't slip off as easy and the extruded heated running boards don't allow as much snow to build up. Skis are far better with the sidehiller 2 skis and you have an adjustable ski stance between 39-41. I am sure there are other things I am forgetting since I have upgraded from those sleds. If I were you I would upgrade to the 05 700 if you can buy it for the right price, quite a bit better sled IMO. If you could find a 06 or newer 600 IQ for not much more money that is another options. Better chassis, and the hp of those 600's were the same as the older 700's. Good luck in your decision.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
With the Edge you'd get PERC which is nice. But if reverse isn't important, then I'd just mod your Wedge with a newer, lighter rear skid. You could also upgrade your front shocks to match. I'd be surprised if an Edge was lighter than a Wedge? If anything, I'd think the wedge was lighter or at least the same.

I think the Wedge chassis is more nimble and what's better than smoking you buddies on an 11 year old sled? But, like was said before, if you want a newer chassis, go with an IQ. The ergos on the Edge are hardly different from the Wedge, and with the enormous Edge hood, the sled gives you the impression it is larger than it is.

T

Tom400CFI

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 11, 2009
I'd be surprised if an Edge was lighter than a Wedge? If anything, I'd think the wedge was lighter or at least the same.

I think the Wedge chassis is more nimble and what's better than smoking you buddies on an 11 year old sled?

^I agree with all of that. I've seen little OBJECTIVE improvements in sleds in the last 10 years. Most of the "improvements" are marketing/trend whore driven -appearance related, or psychological in nature. There have been some "blending" of components that make the sleds work better, but anyone with an older sled, a wrench and some common sense has probably already made those changes to their old sled anyway.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Having run a wedge for a few years and upgrading to an edge for the last four seasons, I would say after a little time on the edge you'll be glad you made the switch. Simply put, the edge does everything a little bit better than the wedge, from yielding a much more solid feel when smoking down the trail, to near perfect weight transfer when climbing, to holding a line better when in the chop. The bars are a wee bit taller, the running boards are superior, the suspension is also much improved over the wedge. I think you would be pleasantly surprised.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
all depends what you buy or want. suspension on the edge is better. if you can get a wedge or gen2 with good suspension then they work great.

D
Dec 4, 2007
Denver, CO
i've got an edge now and had a wedge backup last year....edge is way better, suspension doesn't even compare, handling is WAY better, risers on both and edge has better rider positioning, I think its way easier to ride

Premium Features