• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hard to pull over tm1200

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
Has any body else had a tm1200 that is had to pull over? I can only get mine through two compression strokes before it wankes the pull rope out of my hand.

took off the head still feels hard. took off oils pumps worm gear is tight and no shavings or parts when flushed. took apart case all looks good.

my big bore kit is d&d.

Just seeing if anyone else has had this happen.

thanks for your input.

L

lynxer292b

Jan 19, 2009
Is it flooded? With no fuel shut off the fuel can flood the case and make it hard to pull over

Last edited:

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
The magnets in the flywheel on fuelies add to the hard pull. The 1200 Turbo kit is same cranking compression as stock 1000 but due to larger surface area of piston you are compressing that much more air. I have had to put mine in shop to warm up so I could start it before I left and when reached hill it would still start. Can't pull it over fast enough to prime system when it is -10 C. I think I am going to lower compression a bit as I want to run straight pump gas at 5-7 lbs and think the compression is a bit too high for that right now.

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I have a D&D1200 and learned the hard way not to try to start it without gloves on. It ripped out of my hands once so I got ready got a good grip and gave it another try. Ripped out of my hands again and hurt like a mother. I do not attempt to start it without gloves on. It pulls over hard but thats how it is and it runs great.

S

speeddemon

Feb 27, 2006
buckley wa
we used to heat the cylinders on the 1500psi motors befor trying to start them . made it a bit ezier . used a lil propane torch . just an idea
mike:D

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
I have some decompresion holes in the cylinders. I have ripped the motor all the way down and i think that the break in oil that artic cat put in and my oil was just to sticky. i have cleaned everything up and am ready to put it back together. I understand all the big bore stuff and all the air volumes but when one guy on the pull rope and one guy with a rope on the clutch can't prime the system something is wrong. D&D doesn't know other than dale said that in 2007 artic cat had some cases with to much squish.

another question? how much oil does the worm gear need? I have the pulse filled line from the pto side of the case to the center section. do ya think that this gets enough oil?

What comp are you guys running ? how much squish?

thanks dudes

Rogie1220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, Sask.
I put a primer on my TM1000....just give it 5-6 pumps and it will fire up right away.....may want to try that on yours........

S

Snowstar

Aug 22, 2006
Ogden Ut.
I have some decompresion holes in the cylinders. I have ripped the motor all the way down and i think that the break in oil that artic cat put in and my oil was just to sticky. i have cleaned everything up and am ready to put it back together. I understand all the big bore stuff and all the air volumes but when one guy on the pull rope and one guy with a rope on the clutch can't prime the system something is wrong. D&D doesn't know other than dale said that in 2007 artic cat had some cases with to much squish.

another question? how much oil does the worm gear need? I have the pulse filled line from the pto side of the case to the center section. do ya think that this gets enough oil?

What comp are you guys running ? how much squish?

thanks dudes

The line from PTO will get enough oil to water pump shaft. Its a good idea to take a small hand pump or suringe with 2 stroke oil and prelube that line first.

You may want to talk to Shain, he took some volume out of the domes on his D&D 1200.

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
yeah we were talking the other day about this. he said that you had a jig setup for it. maybe you will be getting my head too! compression is not hp in my setup. it is 10.3:1 right know but cranking comperssion is still 135lbs.

where did you plumb your primer? a primer won't hold fuel psi.

H
Jul 29, 2008
Deer Park, WA.
Fuel shut-off

I was having the same problem with my 07 m1000, after I let it set and get cold the fuel would seep into the crankcase and would pull like you were trying to hand start a V8. I installed a in-line fuel shut-off and I don't have the problem anymore. Still harder to start when cold but it can be done.

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
I tore the engine to ground zero today. Had 30 thousandths run out on pto side had 15 on mag side. Sled only has maybe 30 miles on it. Started to true her up and everything we tried never got us closer. Chocked it up in the leathe. had one crank lobe 8 degrees off and the other 3-4 off. Cool fixed that and trued her up. she is a straight runner now. got motor put back together just kow 3:00 am and i still can not pull it through a compression stroke with plugs in. I have to take out one plug on each cylinder to pull this mother over. Dang i think i threw out my back trying. I'm going to bed ill try in the morning. Any help would be appreciated.

S

Snowstar

Aug 22, 2006
Ogden Ut.
It may sound dumb but did you check the the recoil assembly?

The WP lube line is prelubed just when assembling the motor the first time. Kent would be the one to talk to about machine work on the head.

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
Very easy to pull over with out plugs. if the head is off i can push with my finger tips. How much ring end gap is everyone running in these? what size of decompression holes do you guys have?

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
Very easy to pull over with out plugs. if the head is off i can push with my finger tips. How much ring end gap is everyone running in these? what size of decompression holes do you guys have? How much squish is everyone seeing? what head stage?

I
Nov 26, 2007
I know a guy with a 1000cc big bore cat...he forgot to tighten down one of his spark plugs (it was finger tight) and he knew something was wrong when the sled pulled over like a stock 600. It did fire and run though...I dunno if this could cause any damage but loosening a plug and starting it might be the ticket if it's safe.

Premium Features