• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gen 5 turbo clutch noise?

T
Dec 25, 2022
Idaho
My gen 5 turbo summit 154 keeps making a grinding noise that sounds like it is coming from the clutch. It feels like something is jumping or slipping when it does this. Also it doesn't seem to engage crisply and is down on power or not pulling as hard compared to the other gen 5 turbos in my group. Any ideas? And I have adjusted the chain in the chain case.

Last edited:

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Are the both clutchs clean ? I seen muskoka video he had some noise also

T
Dec 25, 2022
Idaho
I cleaned the cluches as soon as I brought it home and twice more. Same noise as Muskoka Rider. It's happened numerous times all three rides so far. I have 105 miles on it. And I've tried three different belts also. And of course the dealer can't make it make the noise on a lift.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Watched the Muskoka video and heard the “noise” ……… if I had to guess what the noise was my guess would be the clutch cover or body work maybe flexing just enough to rub on the spinning driven clutch in certain conditions. If this is indeed the case it won’t take long to start seeing wear marks somewhere.

Just my $.02

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Watched the Muskoka video and heard the “noise” ……… if I had to guess what the noise was my guess would be the clutch cover or body work maybe flexing just enough to rub on the spinning driven clutch in certain conditions. If this is indeed the case it won’t take long to start seeing wear marks somewhere.

Just my $.02

I was thinking the same. I also wonder if there is any aftermarket heelclicker type flyweights that would rub on the panel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

G
Feb 9, 2014
Shuswap
Only time I have experienced a noise like that from the clutches is from what I would describe as belt 'chatter'.
Secondary rollers failed, causing the belt to be excessively loose at engagement. Seen happen from a sticky secondary not fully closing as well. Not saying that is the cause in your case, just spitballing.

straightup

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Rigby Idaho
I agree with greenthumb! I think you might have broke one roller in half one is still there or one is just pin rolling on helix of broken roller doesn’t make clutch stick open you have enough horsepower to keep riding it. Look in secondary with flashlight see if both rollers are present.

D
Dec 22, 2018
I was first reading this conversation and then went watch Muskokas new video. The sound is typical when qrs backshift is lacking, secondary gets stuck open on low speeds. Straight 40 helix is too shallow and the secondary 160-300 spring too soft.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
That ice in the tunnel makes my sled sound like I got super swamper boggers on.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
So it got wrote off because of the clutch? Or a misfortunate impact with a tree?

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Premium Features