• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ford F150 3.0 Powerstroke Diesel ???

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The 3.0L has WAY more power than your V10 has. The 3.0L has as much torque at the rear wheels as yours does at the crank.... So Power won't be an issue. I think its the way to go. It will be a way better daily driver!
Ya, my dear wife put in a STRONG Vote for the F150 over a new F250 :sad:

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
I have decided regardless of which Diesel I end up purchasing, the 3.0 or the 6.7 to install the Amsoil Dual-Remote Bypass Filter system.
That will add another 2 quarts of oil, for a 33% increase and cut WAY WAY down on oil changes.

The F250 would be the absolute BEST tower, no doubt about it.
Its just not nearly as nice for day to day driving the other 350 days a year I am NOT pulling a full size sled trailer.

One thing to remember with Turbo Diesels is the DPF regen cycle. Its hard on the engine oil. With up to 10,000 between oil changes, I don't know why you would want to extend it?

I think the 150 will treat you just fine, you just need to attack towing differently.

JMO

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
One thing to remember with Turbo Diesels is the DPF regen cycle. Its hard on the engine oil. With up to 10,000 between oil changes, I don't know why you would want to extend it?

I think the 150 will treat you just fine, you just need to attack towing differently.

JMO

AMSOIL’s equivalent to Rotella T6 is the 15W-40 OE Synthetic Diesel Oil – not because of the viscosity, but because it is a Group III base-stock, and so is cheaper per quart than a true synthetic oil. But while the OE oil does deliver a cold pour point of -36, it only handles standard recommended oil drain intervals. The better choice is AMSOIL’s 15W-40 AME Premium Synthetic oil, which delivers a conservatively recommended oil-drain interval of 3X Ford’s recommendation, plus AMSOIL’s EA15K88 oil filter which delivers a 70% wear-rate reduction and 15,000 mile filter life. This extended 15k+ mile drain interval means that AMSOIL is the lowest-cost solution for HEUI oil changes, when annual maintenance costs are the measure instead of per-quart pricing. When adding the AMSOIL remote bypass filtration system, you can eliminate over 90% of engine wear and extend the drain interval indefinitely, as verified by oil sampling analysis.

=====

I thought this article was VERY INSIGHTFUL into the realities of a daily driver Ford Diesel! I do NOT know which system Ford is using on the 3.0 ???

https://ultimatesyntheticoil.com/ultimatesolution/diesel-page/ford-diesel/

The 2007 6.4 to the present 2016 6.7L are unfortunately the worst, most risky odds for being able to extend drain intervals beyond the Ford recommendations. This is because the regeneration cycle for the DPF burns out the filter’s accumulation by over-fueling the cylinders (after burn completion) to put diesel fuel into the exhaust, which washes fuel down the cylinder walls into the oil.

This is because the ACTIVE (not passive) regeneration cycle for the DPF burns out the filter’s accumulation by over-fueling the cylinders (after burn completion) to put diesel fuel into the exhaust, which has the piston rings unavoidably wipe unburned fuel down the cylinder walls into the oil. Due perhaps to unique details of the 6.7L engine design, Ford has not transitioned to the superior 2011+ DPF regeneration-cycle approach used by GM to avoid fuel contamination of the oil (see below) by use of a fuel injector in the turbo down-pipe.

“Passive” regeneration occurs during normal operation, due to high enough throttle & fuel-burn rates to take the internal DPF temperature above the ~1100°F threshold where the captured diesel fuel particles will be ignited and burned. Active regeneration of the DPF occurs when the exhaust back-pressure builds (diesel particulate matter, DPM, has accumulated enough to obstruct exhaust flow). To force a DPF burnout, the engine computer sprays fuel into the cylinders at the end of combustion so that the unburned fuel is exhausted into the high-temperature exhaust, raising the DPF temperature high enough to get burnout of the DPM buildup.

Because of the variable of Active Regeneration of the DPF, how the vehicle is used becomes a critical factor in oil contamination:

1. Unfortunately, PowerStroke “daily driver” 6.4L and 6.7L commuter pickups in city driving are almost certain to experience a high frequency of active regeneration. [If a truck will be used in that way and you need to purchase a 2007+ model year, you should instead consider purchasing a 2011+ Duramax-powered vehicle, because the LML engine model changed the active regen approach by adding the Hydrocarbon Injector (HCI), which is simply a 9th fuel injector that sprays fuel directly into the turbo exhaust down-pipe, eliminating the need to over-fuel the cylinders post-combustion. So the HCI now injects all the diesel fuel directly into the exhaust stream during active regeneration (cleaning of the diesel particulate filter). This active regeneration strategy is unique to the LML, and will be used for the foreseeable future.]
  2. “Foreman” PowerStroke trucks are quite likely to experience active regeneration cycles, which can vary from occasional to frequent. Idling and low speeds with light loads will ensure a-regen. In this application, approach extended drain intervals with caution.
  3. Some fleet and “working” PowerStroke vehicles will experience little or no problem with this fuel contamination of the oil, because they are rarely in active regeneration: these are vehicles which are always adequately loaded and frequently driven in highway traffic with medium to high throttle long enough for the passive regeneration to keep the fuel particulates burned out of the DPF canister. Caution: OTR drivers must always rely on APU’s for stationary power, rather than idling the truck engine during lunch/dinner/sleeping.
So, the speed and severity of engine-oil fuel-dilution in these PowerStrokes is largely driven by driving habits. To clarify, a truck which is frequently well-loaded or hauling for 20+ miles at a time in warm to moderate temperatures is likely to put the DPF in the temperature range to burn out the accumulated fuel particles, so oil sampling analysis will probably show that extended drain intervals are possible with AMSOIL’s DME. But a PowerStroke which is a daily driver in the upper mid-west with a 10 mile commute, that seasonally pulls a trailer once or twice a month, is going to do most of its’ DPF burnout regenerative cycle by over-fueling of the cylinders after firing. In this case, while AMSOIL will provide superior protection and performance, drain intervals are restricted by fuel contamination and cannot be significantly extended – and this is where the cost-effectiveness of the AMSOIL OED makes a lot of sense.

So DPF-equipped “working” fleet PowerStrokes can likely deliver extended drain intervals with DME, particularly by adding an AMSOIL Dual Remote Bypass Filter kit. This is because a bypass filter kit lowers oil-sump temperature, reduces the load on the additive package, and adds about two more quarts of oil capacity.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I've been commuting some greater miles for work recently and I'm noticing that my regen cycle is holding pretty regular doing a regen about every 600-800 miles. Last winter shortly after I bought the truck I was working locally, idling the truck for warm up and towing the trailer weekly to go sledding, I would have the refill light for the DEF come on after a little over 2,000 miles. Doing the new commute I'm putting on 5,000 miles in 2 months and last time I took it in for an oil change (@5k miles) it had indicated the level was still half full. I'm running over a mountain pass with just my regular tools and such, about 500lbs of stuff plus me. That equals about 400 hwy and 100 city miles per week avg.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I've been commuting some greater miles for work recently and I'm noticing that my regen cycle is holding pretty regular doing a regen about every 600-800 miles. Last winter shortly after I bought the truck I was working locally, idling the truck for warm up and towing the trailer weekly to go sledding, I would have the refill light for the DEF come on after a little over 2,000 miles. Doing the new commute I'm putting on 5,000 miles in 2 months and last time I took it in for an oil change (@5k miles) it had indicated the level was still half full. I'm running over a mountain pass with just my regular tools and such, about 500lbs of stuff plus me. That equals about 400 hwy and 100 city miles per week avg.
BINGO!
Your validating exactly what they were saying.
Its needs TIME to come up to FULL HOT TEMP and LOAD to burn off the accumulated DPM. Driving it around town likely never allows that to happen.

A good shot on the highway at full speed or going up the mountain solves the problem.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
BINGO!
Your validating exactly what they were saying.
Its needs TIME to come up to FULL HOT TEMP and LOAD to burn off the accumulated DPM. Driving it around town likely never allows that to happen.

A good shot on the highway at full speed or going up the mountain solves the problem.
Yup, highway driving is the best thing for it so it can get good and hot and do a proper job of cleaning itself out. I just wish my 2012 had a command clean option so I could tell it to burn out when I'm going for long drive instead of the in the inevitable "cleaning exhaust filter" coming on when I'm 2 miles from home.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
In all seriousness, I actually like the function of the DPF system, I've always hated the smell of diesel exhaust and with the DPF on, that is completely gone, along with the black smoke and it's super quiet so when I get on it to pass someone I'm not attracting undue attention, or when I start the thing up in a hotel parking lot at 4:30 AM. I do miss the occasional BARK that my 6.0 had when I stomped on it, but until I begin to have problems with my DPF, I don't really see any need to spend the money to remove it. Right now I'm getting about 16.5-17.5 mpg round trip on my weekly commutes and have seen over 18 several times if I back the cruise control off a couple mph... not bad for an 8500 lb 4x4 with 34s.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Diesels with DPF still has black smoke when on the throttle, just a touch less than a stock tuned truck with delete. Its hard to see from the driver seat.
Next time i have a trailer, follow me, u will see some black smoke when i get on it, i have all the emissions intact.

Its the box store tuner/chip that cause all the black smoke. U can get that same nasty black smoke with a DPF, just plugs it up real fast!

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
In all seriousness, I actually like the function of the DPF system, I've always hated the smell of diesel exhaust and with the DPF on, that is completely gone, along with the black smoke and it's super quiet so when I get on it to pass someone I'm not attracting undue attention, or when I start the thing up in a hotel parking lot at 4:30 AM. I do miss the occasional BARK that my 6.0 had when I stomped on it, but until I begin to have problems with my DPF, I don't really see any need to spend the money to remove it. Right now I'm getting about 16.5-17.5 mpg round trip on my weekly commutes and have seen over 18 several times if I back the cruise control off a couple mph... not bad for an 8500 lb 4x4 with 34s.

Totally agreed. I don't miss my LBZ with 5" exhaust AT ALL on those long road trips.

Premium Features