• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First Ride with PowerClaw

J
Dec 8, 2007
North Powder, OR
Hey all,

Just wanted to give a quick review on my first thoughts of the powerclaw track. Took it out this past sunday and was happy with the results. We had anywhere from 15"-24" new snow, temp was around 20 degrees. Snow was very light and fluffy on the north slopes, wind packed on all the ridges. Rock hard base under all the new snow. The track really seems to climb on top of the snow, very little trenching on my sled and setup. Seems to keep good track speed no matter what the slope angle. Not much traction coming back down though....I wouldn't say that it was as bad as the attack 20's i've ridden in the past, the fingers design seems to help that some, but it doesn't hold ya back like the camo or CE does. Hooks up really well on the packed trails....buddy of mine on a stock 08xp 154 dragged on the trails on the way back down.....my sled pulled the xp every time until about 40-45mph then he pulled away from me. All in all I was very happy with how this track performed. Sled just kept going and going all day. Didn't really get a chance to find a long hard hill pull, pretty high avy risks in most spots. Just a side note, rode a turbo M8 with same 153 powerclaw and 260hp seems to make the sled trench a little more than the stock 800 I ride...:rolleyes:

Hope this helps anyone who is on the fence about this new track. I'd say it's worth trying. I'm just not very excited about coming off some hills this spring. Glad I have reverse.

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
:) I was leaning against the fence, until you took the wrungs out from behind me.

I like the attack 20 for climbing, but dragging a foot comming down isn't a whole lot of fun.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
Just to add to that IMO coming down it seemed about like my maverick on my last sled but better then the A20 I had before that.

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
I didn't have any problems coming down. It seemed about the same as my old 2" Challenger on my 1M800. I have ridden with with some A20's and I don't see any comparison.

J
Dec 8, 2007
North Powder, OR
Oh, and just incase anyone was wondering all the clutching and gearing is STOCK 2007 crossfire 8 settings. I'm still not sure if I should change to M8 gearing, it might be the thing to do. I guess time will tell.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
just fyi, the pow claw has gotten better on the downhills with some miles on it. I've got 900 on mine now & it brakes reasonably well but hasn't folded badly like a 07-08 track or an a20. I'm still VERY happy with this track.

J
Jan 1, 2008
Eastern Or.
I'm in the same boat with ya on that. Got my skid and track yanked out last night and headed to my dealer tonight with a case of :beer; to keep the shop open and get a hand putting a PC on. Hope It lives up tp all the hype!

Premium Features