• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine cross shaft black rubber seal orientation

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Hi,

Polaris 2012 RMK 800

I just removed the cross shaft from the crank case and the small black rubber seal spring was facing the gear mesh cavity .

My 2004 service manual says that the small black seal spring should face the installer , I interpreted this as facing outwards towards the water pump impeller .

Can someone post out of a newer service manual the correct orientation or post with the utmost certainty the correct orientation of this small black rubber seal .

Thank you all in advance

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
I found this but I cant decipher the last line !!

4. Remove the impeller nut, impeller and washers from the cross shaft.
5. Carefully pry the mechanical seal and seal out of the crankcase.
6. Water pump assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Always use new seals and gaskets during assembly.
7. To remove the oil pump, the engine must be removed from the engine compartment. Remove the two fasteners then pull the pump out of the crankcase bore. Discard the o-ring.
8. The cross shaft can be extracted from the water pump side of the crankcase.
9. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Always use new o-rings, seals and gaskets during assembly.
10. Install a new seal onto the shaft from the water pump side.
11. To install a new water pump seal, use the seal installation tool, PN 2872010. Verify the seal lips are facing the cross shaft gear

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
I called Indy dan he verified it , its a oil seal and the spring faces the oil cavity . thank you Indy Dan

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Hello everyone , , I just got off the phone with Devon at Indy Dan, very knowledgeable and helpful and he has the exact right Mechanical seal driver there for 25 dollars , money well spent , give him a call for all you cross shaft mechanical seal woes plus they have a cool videos on clutches and engine upgrades on FB page .
Devon fixed me up in seconds that google couldn't do in Days of searching. Thanks Devon (@Indy DAN)

Premium Features