• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

diesel fuel additive

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Gonna stay several days in Yellowstone. Any advise on preparing for fuel gelling up? Duramax / Allison

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
just buy #1. where i live its blended and dont have all the options at the pump like they have out west. i have made the mistake of buying #2 in billings at 35 degrees and hitting cold weather and gelling up. i found some #1 and a jug of 911 fixed that problem

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
As stated carry a couple fuel filters. That's what gelled up on my when Iowa hit -38 a couple years ago. Swapped filters and good as new.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Gonna stay several days in Yellowstone. Any advise on preparing for fuel gelling up? Duramax / Allison
Yes bring filters. Put in #1 when you can not when you have to.

Around home (eastern SD) the pumps all state exactly what the fuel is... most stations out west don’t say anything about the grade/blend, so I almost always dump a decent shot of Howes in if temps are below 20. Knock on wood- I’ve never had any issues.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Run Power Service, Howes, Stanadyne, etc. even if you think you're getting blended fuel. Always a crapshoot on the road in winter with unknown stations bouncing through states. West is one of the coldest holes in the west in Jan/Feb. Keep you tank full if you're sitting for a few days in West, avoid the condensation that is inevitable there in partially filled tanks.

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Run Power Service, Howes, Stanadyne, etc. even if you think you're getting blended fuel. Always a crapshoot on the road in winter with unknown stations bouncing through states. West is one of the coldest holes in the west in Jan/Feb. Keep you tank full if you're sitting for a few days in West, avoid the condensation that is inevitable there in partially filled tanks.
-43 actual temp one morning a few years ago when we were there. Pretty wild. Bet my buddy breakfast his Cummins wouldn’t start. I bought breakfast ?.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Most of the diesel pumps in Billings have signs above them showing what the fuel is blended to now. That being said if it's blended to -20 and whatever's left in your tank isn't then you're not protected that low. Run some additive, put some #1 in the tank if it's available, and carry an extra fuel filter. And another confirmation that West Yellowstone is often the coldest spot in the state during the winter.

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC
I guess that’s one thing we don’t have to worry about up here. We are just seeing two different blends up here lately. Best way to describe it is like your 87 octane and 91 octane. Unless you count the colored fuel for farmers.
All our diesel and gas start getting winter blends by Sept 1st.
So for a Canadian boy, what’s the difference between #1 and #2?

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
In reference to zal we have had some of your blended fuel here in nd during oil boom. Now its gone or hard to find some was called yukon diesel. I really liked it. Now number 1 fuel here is close to kerosene no power or lube. I blend according to usage and temp mostly 50/50 and some howes this time of year.

Premium Features