• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

dd broke how much to fix

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
G
Jan 16, 2008
Mantua utah
well I'm sure this has been posted a bunch but I couldn't find any old posts so here it go. I believe the planetary gear went out in my 08 m8 I am wondering if anyone knows how much money it may take to fix(worst case) and if I can do it on my own or should I let my dearler do it(no warranty)
thanks in advance

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
$1000 new factory cat d-drive... when i blew mine in dec. the planetaries were on backorder till about now...

R

Rms Rydning

Sep 30, 2006
North Norway
I have broken the dd 3 times to now.
First time the hole planetary broke.
2nd and 3rd time the 6203 bearing in the end of planetaty shaft failed.
So I have ordered a roller bearing now witch is twice as strong to solve this problem.

When I have get increased vibrations in the left foot, it have been only the bearing that is almost failed.And a easy fix.But if its hard to engade revers its more likely do to many broken parts,and the hole planetary is probaly broken.

The biggest reason I have found for the dd failure is driving style...If you jump and have land with high belt speed,all the torque is going thrue the gearbox.I have a turbo ski doo witch I ride harder and have never had this problem.So the dd reverse box is a weaker constructions than the chain boxes.

DSC00532.jpg

Last edited:
W
Nov 26, 2007
St. Cloud, MN
Call RV Sports in Theif River Fall, MN. He had some sitting on the shelf when I was looking for one for my 05. Also call around you woudl be suprised some dealers will sell you them at a good price. When I was looking it was a 300 dollar differnce between the largest and smallest quote.

E
Apr 11, 2002
North Idaho
If you can live without reverse go with the BD extreme about $649 and a lot stronger and 11# less weight. My old M7 that my boy now rides has just blew the diamond drive at close to 7000 miles and we put in the BD extreme it much cheaper then cat.

M
Dec 16, 2007
montana
If you can live without reverse go with the BD extreme about $649 and a lot stronger and 11# less weight. My old M7 that my boy now rides has just blew the diamond drive at close to 7000 miles and we put in the BD extreme it much cheaper then cat.

I would go with the bdx lite, but if you still want reverse call mike at bdx and have them rebuild it. Rebuilt mine myself and it wasn't bad but still would have been alot easier to let them do it. Unless you have a press it will suck. I wouldn't send it to the dealer i would let bdx do it and gear it down while your at it made a huge difference on my m7

D
Jan 9, 2008
Ramona,SD
I just did the dd on my 07 M8. I'm not sure what the gears are called that went out, maybe planeteries-the 4 little ones and the one that goes inside them. I ordered them at my local dealer and recieved them in 4 days. Cost was $425. Put it together myself and don't seem to have any problems. Happy fixing!

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
well I'm sure this has been posted a bunch but I couldn't find any old posts so here it go. I believe the planetary gear went out in my 08 m8 I am wondering if anyone knows how much money it may take to fix(worst case) and if I can do it on my own or should I let my dearler do it(no warranty)
thanks in advance

Took mine apart three times now, and its pretty simple….wish I would took the time to take more pics and illustrate a play by play of the events to get her apart and back together.

It’s likely you have 3 bad parts in this assembly, the planetary gearset and its respective ring gear are two parts, and the input gear, and all the other parts should be fine.

I would highly suggest you get someone else to do the work if you are not mechanically inclines.

You can spend over 550 for the parts through CAT or get all these parts and gear down (this will include the output gear) for about 450 from Black Diamond Extreme, these guys are great and have answered every question I have asked. They will also help with removal and installation of anything related to the DD.

This pic shows the most of the DD gearing…the parts are layed out left to ride and need to be stacked as such, I will add some text later
anotherDD.jpg

The next few pics may show what you will see
DD_2.jpg

DD.jpg

DD_3.jpg

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
How to get that diamond drive off the sled:

1-you will need a very ver long 3/8” rachet exgtention and a 5/8” socket, this tool we be put in the drive shaft from the brake side, stick it in the center brake whole. turn bolt CC to loosen NOTE "remember to add some red loc-tite to this bolt just before you put the DD back in
2-Now set the parking brake and remove the secondary clutch, I cant remember what size it is, but its just an allen head screw, you might have to yank secondary and bit to get it off the spine
3-Now remove the cover plate that hides the revese motor, two screws on each side
4-Now remove the reverse motor, notice a narrow bracket that fits the motor to the DD, you will need to remove two bolts and one torque screw in the middle, now wiggle the motor out somehow and unplug both connectors
5-Now remove all ½” nuts that are on the outside of the diamond drive, make sure you support the inside track/shaft so it wont hang when you remove the DD
6-Now take a flathead screw driver and wiggle the DD out, the bottom side of the DD can be tough as it hits the belly pan, just keep at it
7-Now it out, time to split the case
8-Remove all the black torque screws on the outside, then take a flap head screw diver and split the two halves, you will see three keyways to pry it apart
9-Now take it slow and take pics so you know how to put it back together
10-Remove the reverse arm that has the two o-rings on it
11-Now the inside gear set should come right out no problem

Take pics and post em, good luck

Last edited:
G
Jan 16, 2008
Mantua utah
well I think I'm going to give it a go this weekend and see what I have.. thanks for all the info and the pics this should make it much easier than it would have been to crack it blind. I'll take some pics and post them when I get it done!!!
Thanks a ton

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
Good description hatchers!
I knew that there was a torx screw that went in the middle of the 2 1/2" nuts on the reverse motor bracket, but mine would not tighten when I put it back together... The threads look fine, but it would just spin, so I left it off.
I was sure thats where it went, but like a dummy I put all the bolts in a bag that had a few extra washers, zip ties, etc. from the dealer when they did my ecu reflash, shielding update so I was not positive.
Should be fine with just the 2 nuts, but it was still bugging me.

J
Jun 22, 2008
Livermore, CA
Pos dd

I'm going through this right now... I geared my '07 M1000 down to 56/64 with BD-Xtreme gears following the instructions posted here on S/W and all was good UNTIL my DD decided to take a sh1t!

Luckily for me, I had the 3 yr warranty and it's covered... unluckily for me, the DD took out my new 64 T gear and that's NOT covered. <sigh>

What a p1ss-poor design! What's wrong with the tried-n-true chain-case? I've NEVER had one break- How can CAT sell such an inferior product?

-Jeff

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Jeffro, What caused your dd to fail? Did it have something to do with the reverse setup? Can reverse be eliminated from the equation and the dd be used with out it? This is a question I've had for a while. If reverse is taken out will the dd be any more reliable? Or, is it even possible to do this.

Last edited:
Premium Features