• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

D700 Stator Issues

M
Dec 28, 2007
After a year and a 1000 miles of consistent trouble free performance, my 2008 D700 developed a problem. Intermittently, it would act like the fuel injection was confused (hesitation, bog, etc.) in the midrange. After stopping for awhile it would run fine but then have another episode and this got progressively worse. I thought it was the TPS but the dealer checked it and said the stator was bad, putting out erratic voltage levels, and replaced it. The dealer said they had to do this on several other D700's as well. The stator was replaced under warranty which was good but the dealer did not know if the replacements were corrected in some way (part number is unchanged) from the original stator.

Makes me wonder if it may happen again down the road??? Anyone have similar experience???

C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
hmmmm this sounds very familiar.....

I've got an 07 600 155 HO Carb. I have been experiencing the exact same symptoms you describe...usually I notice them after a good bit of off trail riding, then get on a trail to move to a new area...same thing though, confused hesitation at mid range, then I'll feather the throttle, and I can usually get it to go away. If I stop for a bit, it will go away for a while after starting back up, but it always comes back. I replaced my stator in the middle of this season after it went out and took out my CDI in the process. Now, I'm having the same issues again, and had to tow it back in 2 rides ago. Since then, two more rides and it's running great. No idea what is going on, but I suspect the stator has gone bad again. First time was at about 1600 miles, and I'm at 2200 now. See my thread titled "Left on the Hill again" in this forum.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
Kind of the luck of the draw with electrical components. You may just get a bunk one once in a while.

Whether it's the TPS or the stator and so on, replacing what appears to be the most logical thing after troubleshooting with the same part number that has come off doesn't always mean you will be getting the exact same problem again and again. If you did, you may be unlucky.

Just have to trust it.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
After a year and a 1000 miles of consistent trouble free performance, my 2008 D700 developed a problem. Intermittently, it would act like the fuel injection was confused (hesitation, bog, etc.) in the midrange. After stopping for awhile it would run fine but then have another episode and this got progressively worse. I thought it was the TPS but the dealer checked it and said the stator was bad, putting out erratic voltage levels, and replaced it. The dealer said they had to do this on several other D700's as well. The stator was replaced under warranty which was good but the dealer did not know if the replacements were corrected in some way (part number is unchanged) from the original stator.

Makes me wonder if it may happen again down the road??? Anyone have similar experience???

I have a 2007 DRAGON 700 with 3700 trouble free miles.

However on www.hardcoresledder.com a few other 2008 D-7's have reported problems with stators and I thought I remembered reading something about the new replacement ones being DIFFERENT than the originals??? Others with voltage regulators going bad and frying the E.C.U.'s in the process. You may want to try a search there, lot of 2008 Dragon 700's guys there.

I read the other poster, dragon RMK King, where the T.P.S. was bad, and I believe that, however that would be the first T.P.S. That I've ever heard or read about going bad. Interesting to know.

Just for educational purposes, did you notice the erratic voltage levels on your factory dash gauge or is that something the dealer diagnosed after hooking up a voltmeter to it???

Last edited:
C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
You should look at this:

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138976

I had, what sounds like was, the same exact problem with my sled. I suriously doubt that your problem is your stator...I had my TPS tested and it tested just fine. So...eventually I replaced the TPS and the problem went away. I would really think that is your problem

DragonRMKing - I checked out your other thread, that is EXACTLY what I experience with my 07-600. What did a new TPS cost you? Are they fairly simple to install or does it need to go to the dealer?

M
Dec 28, 2007
I have a 2007 DRAGON 700 with 3700 trouble free miles.

However on www.hardcoresledder.com a few other 2008 D-7's have reported problems with stators and I thought I remembered reading something about the new replacement ones being DIFFERENT than the originals??? Others with voltage regulators going bad and frying the E.C.U.'s in the process. You may want to try a search there, lot of 2008 Dragon 700's guys there.

I read the other poster, dragon RMK King, where the T.P.S. was bad, and I believe that, however that would be the first T.P.S. That I've ever heard or read about going bad. Interesting to know.

Just for educational purposes, did you notice the erratic voltage levels on your factory dash gauge or is that something the dealer diagnosed after hooking up a voltmeter to it???

The dealer diagnosed it, at the time it was acting weird I did not have the dash gauge set for voltage.

D
Nov 27, 2007
NorCal
DragonRMKing - I checked out your other thread, that is EXACTLY what I experience with my 07-600. What did a new TPS cost you? Are they fairly simple to install or does it need to go to the dealer?

A TPS for that machine is about $150 and I do think that you need a dealer to install. As far as I know they need to initialize the TPS to your machine with the correct settings. That being said mine is fuel injected and yours is not...I am not sure if the matters?

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
A TPS for that machine is about $150 and I do think that you need a dealer to install. As far as I know they need to initialize the TPS to your machine with the correct settings. That being said mine is fuel injected and yours is not...I am not sure if the matters?

There's a T.P.S. HOW-TO article/video PINNED at the top.

M
Dec 28, 2007
Stator Replacement Update

Went for a ride several weeks ago after dealer replaced the stator. it ran great for most of the day, no issues whatsoever. At the end of the day though it started the same midrange problem which got pretty severe over the last few miles. Took it back to the dealer who says all the shop tests show no codes or issues. It looks like it has to get warm running on the snow for the symptoms to appear so they know what to fix. Problem is that the snow is tough to get to now, the warranty will be expired by the time the next season starts.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Went for a ride several weeks ago after dealer replaced the stator. it ran great for most of the day, no issues whatsoever. At the end of the day though it started the same midrange problem which got pretty severe over the last few miles. Took it back to the dealer who says all the shop tests show no codes or issues. It looks like it has to get warm running on the snow for the symptoms to appear so they know what to fix. Problem is that the snow is tough to get to now, the warranty will be expired by the time the next season starts.

Sorry to hear you're still having headaches, that suxx!

Just a thought, is your dealer "flexible" enough to loan you a cdi/voltage regulator to try now.

2) can you hook up a fuel pressure gauge (temporarily, an old oil pressure gauge will work) to where you can monitor the fuel pressure as you're driving down the trail?? 56 or 58 p.s.i. is what it's suppose to have, ALL the time.

3) Did you have that fuel vapor seperator installed as part of the update /warranty issue????

4) Probably NOT the problem, but EZ To do, pump out ALL the fuel, throw it into your daily driver and put in ALL fresh fuel.

5) write a letter to the corporate dix in minnesota explaing your unresolved problem and see if they'll extend your warranty for 30 days or so into next season?????

Good Luck, please post some feedback, Hope you "Get 'er done!"

Last edited:
Premium Features