• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

clutching help 01 mt cat 600

R

redbarchetta

Dec 2, 2007
blackhills, wy
could somebody tell me where i could find information on the stock parts that go into clutches as far as springs, helix and maybe even the stock gears that this machine is supposed to have. I can only get 40 mph out of the sled at 7000 rpm going down the trail, I have no idea what the kid did to this sled but I sure could use a clutch guru's help!!!! Thanks for your time

R

redbarchetta

Dec 2, 2007
blackhills, wy
forgot to mention the helix is a 49 degree and the secondary clutch spring is yellow and in the middle hole, primary spring is also a yellow with I think a red stripe!!

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I have the same sled it has no problems running 8 grand and will run 75mph without a problem. I have the 49 degree helix, yellow secondary spring and yellow primary spring (I do not remember the color of the stripe). I believe I have the stock low elevation weights. I have it at Hardy Camp if you want to look at it for comparison.

Arcticatdan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Newport, WA
Yellow/Green spring primary, 52 gram weights, red/ white secondary spring, 51 deg. helix. Also it needs rev. to 8000-8200 rpm. gearing should be 19-40. If it is efi make sure your fuel pressure is 37-39 lbs. Both of the 2001s we had had fuel pressure of 44+. Had to put a pressure reg. on the system.

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
It could also be something simple like the wrong size belt or a dirty clutch. Jack up the track, open the hood and play with the gas and break to make the clutches move. The track should inch around while at idle if the deflection is correct. How many miles on the sled? Can you get 8000-8200 with the track off the ground? If not then it may not be clutching. Start simple then look at bigger ticket items. If you don't have the basics then other items like pressure regs weights and springs won't help

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
forgot to mention the helix is a 49 degree and the secondary clutch spring is yellow and in the middle hole, primary spring is also a yellow with I think a red stripe!!

Just checked my 01 600. It has the yellow/white primary spring, 52 gram weights, yellow spring on secondary in position 5, and 49 degree helix. I do not know if yours is a carb sled but if it is I have found with mine the jetting chart is very fat. I am running 320 main jets with the needles clipped at the very top. The sled does have a can and V-Force reeds. It runs 8200 rpms in the powder.

R

redbarchetta

Dec 2, 2007
blackhills, wy
Thanks for all the info, all the clutching is as you specified Duane, except I haven't checked weights but it won't engage till around 6000 so I know they have been changed!! It is a carb model and will get rpms with track off ground I noticed the power valve servo is not working do you suppose that's the ticket? And I haven't checked gears yet will on Monday, any other ideas? Thanks again for your time!!!

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Mine engages at about 4500 rpms. If your servo motor is not opening the exhaust valves that will make a huge difference on upper rpms. You should hear the servo motor cycle and open and close the exhaust valves once when you first start it up.

S
Sep 2, 2008
Bozeman, MT
How many miles on the sled?

Seems like it should be engaging before 6000. Does it have notched weights in it? When I wrenched for an AC dealer we got a sled in that someone had accidentally ordered notched weights for and was very unhappy in the mountains. If it has high miles the pins and bushings may just be worn out.

If your power valve servo is not operating that would rob top end power and account for full speed on a stand and no speed on the trail.

Good luck!

R

redbarchetta

Dec 2, 2007
blackhills, wy
well snowordeath it has regular weights not notched, but I posted on another post about the servo i ordered a used on one ebay it will not work either not sure if there is something wrong with computer box or not any suggestions?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
There is a throttle position sensor on the carbs which I believe sends a signal telling the CDI/Computer to open and close the power valves. Hopefully it is not the cdi/computer they are around $750 new and are almost impossible to find used. They were only used on the 600 Mountain Cat VEV and the 01 RR 600 VEV.

Premium Features