• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch wont pull

S
Jan 15, 2008
I am in the midst of rebuilding my sons 1995 500, and yes, I took some before pics. I will post the after pics in a couple of months. However, I have run into a problem. I ordered a clutch puller for the stock clutch that is on the machine, and I have broken 2 3/4" wrenches trying to get it off. The puller is aftermarket and when it reaches full depth it is contacting something which is cutting into the metal of the puller. What gives? Does anyone have a clue what the stock primary clutch was? I thought it was a P85, and it is stamped with Polaris and USA on the outside. What cluitch was stock and where can I find the correct puller to get it off? Thanks eveyone.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
I am in the midst of rebuilding my sons 1995 500, and yes, I took some before pics. I will post the after pics in a couple of months. However, I have run into a problem. I ordered a clutch puller for the stock clutch that is on the machine, and I have broken 2 3/4" wrenches trying to get it off. The puller is aftermarket and when it reaches full depth it is contacting something which is cutting into the metal of the puller. What gives? Does anyone have a clue what the stock primary clutch was? I thought it was a P85, and it is stamped with Polaris and USA on the outside. What cluitch was stock and where can I find the correct puller to get it off? Thanks eveyone.
That is a P-85 clutch, Try filling the hole up with Grease and then put the puller in and crank on it. This uses hydraulic pressure to pull the clutch. If it still won't budge leave the puller and grease in it and add some heat. It will come off.

B

benamen

Feb 21, 2008
Western Canada
I had the same problem a couple of years ago when I pulled the clutch off of my 90 Polaris 500. End of the puller was getting chewed up and the clutch would not budge. Finally put a short piece of pipe over the end of the puller to lengthen it, the clutch then popped off without hardly any force being applied.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The puller should only touch at the end, where it contacts the crank....anywhere else and you may have the wrong puller. As said, use a little grease on the puller tip and threads and apply some heat (propane torch is fine) to the center shaft of the clutch and tighten the puller.....hit the head of the puller with a hammer and retighten. this will get 99% of clutches, if it doesn't work then tip the sled on it's side, fill the cavity with water, pul several wraps of teflon tape on the puller threads and then thread the puller in and hope the hydraulic pressure will work.

Premium Features