• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

clutch puller story

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Also, I bought a new clutch this summer and got the wrong taper. Thought I was being proactive cause I knew the spider on the old king would go someday. Sure enough it did, and to my surprise, the new one did not fit on the crank when I went to install it. Doh! It looks exactly like the clutch that came off my king cat, but it has a smaller bore. If you want me to check the part number for you I will. I'll sell the clutch for $180. Brand new, never been used. I paid $250 + tax and shipping.
PM me if you think this clutch will work for you (and you are interested).

Last edited:
U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
Don't use a puller anymore, just water and a hard bolt. Teflon tape the bolt hit it with a 1/2" air gun pops right off. No hard contact, won't strip the threads, easy on the crank. Cost about 2 bucks.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
when changeing weights if you get about a foot long piece of all thread, i think its 1/2 nc, with a nut and a large washer, thread the all thread into the center of the clutch, then just tighten down the nut with the washer underneath until the primary compresses enough to remove the weights. i'll probably get flamed for this but i REMOVE all the locktite off the setscrews and coat the threads with teflon, this way you will be able to remove them next time and not waste your time drilling them out. have run mine this way for over 4,000 miles and have not had a set screw come loose yet...

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
when changeing weights if you get about a foot long piece of all thread, i think its 1/2 nc, with a nut and a large washer, thread the all thread into the center of the clutch, then just tighten down the nut with the washer underneath until the primary compresses enough to remove the weights. i'll probably get flamed for this but i REMOVE all the locktite off the setscrews and coat the threads with teflon, this way you will be able to remove them next time and not waste your time drilling them out. have run mine this way for over 4,000 miles and have not had a set screw come loose yet...

Why would anyone flame you for coming up with a great idea?! If they do then they've never had to drill out one of those little ****ers....after breaking 5 or 6 allen keys.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
Don't use a puller anymore, just water and a hard bolt. Teflon tape the bolt hit it with a 1/2" air gun pops right off. No hard contact, won't strip the threads, easy on the crank. Cost about 2 bucks.

good option to the puller! when i take mine off with the water trick the puller never even bottoms out on the clutch anyway.

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
why drill out those set screws? Just heat em up with a propane torch and back em out.

Premium Features