• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

clutch puller story

P
Oct 17, 2008
MN
So this last saturday I was getting my sled ready for our trip to togwotee..... I had to change my weights... so I bought a clutch puller. Stuck it in my clutch and GUESS WHAT!!!!!! I broke the damn mutha ****a in the crank..... yup thats right I broke the clutch puller in two trying to get my clutch off. ****in bull **** if you ask me.

I talked to the mechanic that night and they have to saw my damn clutch off in order to get the ****in puller out. god damn it i know right. so.... We take my sled there sunday night... he tells me that we have order a clutch he doesnt have one on stock so its going to take longer. So yeah... sucks. I talked to him today and it is done and I can pick it up tonight....

new clutch $450
plus labor.....

all before I go on a trip....

Nov 29, 2007
wasifulus alaska
i did the same thing.was able to get the broken one out.85.00 for a new puller and first try the puller bent.now its at the dealer and hes tried almost everything to get it off short of cutting it.56ftlbs of torqe and the damn thing wont come off.very poor design if you ask me,or a crappy puller.

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
So this last saturday I was getting my sled ready for our trip to togwotee..... I had to change my weights... so I bought a clutch puller. Stuck it in my clutch and GUESS WHAT!!!!!! I broke the damn mutha ****a in the crank..... yup thats right I broke the clutch puller in two trying to get my clutch off. ****in bull **** if you ask me.

I talked to the mechanic that night and they have to saw my damn clutch off in order to get the ****in puller out. god damn it i know right. so.... We take my sled there sunday night... he tells me that we have order a clutch he doesnt have one on stock so its going to take longer. So yeah... sucks. I talked to him today and it is done and I can pick it up tonight....

new clutch $450
plus labor.....

all before I go on a trip....

You don't need a clutch puller to change the weights.:eek: The only time I ever use a puller is when the clutch needs to be replaced or rebuilt. I always change my weights with the clutch installed for this very reason. Most pullers are junk, and the clutches can be a major pain in the a$$ to get off anyways. I can change the weights in the sled faster than I can pop the clutch off...usually! :D

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
This needs to put up on the sticky
How to pull a clutch.

1, pull the bolt out of the center
2, put Teflon tape on threads of puller
3, lean sled on side
4, fill clutch bolt hole with WATER
5, insert puller and go like mad with bar in clutch to stop from spinning.
6, wipe up water.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
they dont make pullers like they used to!!!

I love my old pullers, cant seem to break em!!!!!! Way harder than the new pullers IMO!

Yeah the water/hydrolic trick works good too!

C
Nov 27, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
This needs to put up on the sticky
How to pull a clutch.

1, pull the bolt out of the center
2, put Teflon tape on threads of puller
3, lean sled on side
4, fill clutch bolt hole with WATER
5, insert puller and go like mad with bar in clutch to stop from spinning.
6, wipe up water.

Use Yellow Teflon tape (used for gas fittings) and you dont have to go in fast, doesnt leak by. Most of the time clutch pops before puller even bottoms on the crank.

P
Oct 17, 2008
MN
what else was totally gay too was that we couldn't get an easy out in there either because I broke the puller off unevenly so to drill a hole into the puller would of been hell and a complete pain in the ****ing ***.

snowmoboarder

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
The next zone
Yep use the water trick it works most of the time.

Also anti-sieze is your friend.... I put it on every time that I pop I clutch off and have not had a problem getting a clutch off when I use it.

If your clutch sits on there for a couple of years w/o anti-sieze they can be stuck on pretty good..

P
Nov 28, 2007
Layton Utah
Just does not make any sense to me

Powdersridewr11

Why would you *** the letters of your cuss words and then use the Lord's Name in vain?

Using the Lord's name in vain is a lot worse than the rediculous cuss words that people use.

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
No offense Pastor but I don't think the AC forum on Snowest is for spreading religious propaganda or associated opinions. As offended as you are by his language, you have to realize that there are others who may be just as offended by yours.

Like I said, no offense intended but there is a time and place for everything, including religion, but Snowest is not it.:)

C
Nov 27, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
No offense Pastor but I don't think the AC forum on Snowest is for spreading religious propaganda or associated opinions. As offended as you are by his language, you have to realize that there are others who may be just as offended by yours.

Like I said, no offense intended but there is a time and place for everything, including religion, but Snowest is not it.:)

Hey, you said that a lot nicer than I did!! :D

P
Oct 17, 2008
MN
Powdersridewr11

Why would you *** the letters of your cuss words and then use the Lord's Name in vain?

Using the Lord's name in vain is a lot worse than the rediculous cuss words that people use.

for your information they blank out the cuss words automatically.

And i don't care if it doesn't make sense to you that I swore or used god's name in vain. I was super pissed about the cost of my stupid mistake. I have to buy a new clutch because of my mistake. Why wouldn't I be pissed. Why wouldn't I swear.

But I do realize I offended you so I apologize for anything that has offended you whether it be my swearing or being rude. I am sorry. I hope that you accept my apology.

D
Nov 26, 2007
hayden Idaho
i have found if you take your time when pulling the primary it works a lot better! a little grease on the threads and on the tip , get it tight, use a propane torch a little pop the end of the puller with a hammer, repeat, it will come off, sounds like you got a little anxious and over did it!:( expensive lesson!! good luck

B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
i agree w/ taking your time. Lots of time and never do it while the motor is ice cold. I prefer to wait till 80+ temps in shop and slowly crank it down. wait, crank it 30 degrees, step back. Tap the end of puller, wait crank a little. the sooner you can antiseize the crank stub, the easier it will come of later.

But next time i change wieghts, i'll try to do it with the clutch on.

Last edited:

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
MOCO is right. I just went through this. I bent the clutch puller but quit before I broke it. Pulled it out, cut it off about 4" shorter and then did the water (I used oil though) trick. Came right off. I would try that before I let the dealer cut it off. If he does cut it off you are gonna be sucking aluminum filings into your motor for the next 10 rides (you'll never get all that aluminum cleaned up out of the belly pan).

Funny thing is the cat manual says if it won't pop to hit the puller straight on the end with a hammer until it comes off. Can you imagine the load on the crank bearings? I personally would not do that.

Premium Features