• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can't get primary clutch off 09 M8, what to do.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I am trying to remove my 09 M8 primary clutch to have slp balance it and it will not come off. I have the clutch puller and have tried a 1/2" impact gun and a 3/4" impact gun and neither will remove the dang thing. Looking for suggestion. I am using the same puller that I used on my M7 many times, I take it they are the same because it threads in just fine.

M
Feb 14, 2009
try pounding on the end of the puller with a hammer (pounding it into the motor) after its threaded in tight with the impact. It should come off then

B
Dec 4, 2007
put on your side pour water or grease. then get some plumers tape on threads tighten.never try it but a buddy did pop of .good luck.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Well said mgdjeepster, and it works so easily. If it doesn't pop out then add a couple more pumps of grease. Make sure to clean the inside off and the crank stub.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
cat manual says tighten then a rap on end with a hammer..tighten abit again and another couple sharp raps....and thats how i have been doing it for years..ps...grease the puller end and threads

Z

zip-tie-it

Dec 8, 2007
Palmer, AK
Don't need a puller, return it. Just use the bolt for the primary, put teflon tape on the threads. Carefully put the sled on its side, put water in the bolt hole, and then thread the primary bolt back in. If it does not work the first time heat the water to boil and try again. Works every time, with out putting stress on the crank.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I got it off, you guys are great. The grease worked awesome, came right off.
Thanks for the help!!

markoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Alberta
If you used a 3/4" impact on your puller your going to want to replace the crank and bearings before you ride again.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
If you used a 3/4" impact on your puller your going to want to replace the crank and bearings before you ride again.
or just ride it they will remove themselves!

use water not grease and the plumbers tape. Less mess to clean up with the same results.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
I don't think so.

don;t worry...no problem...horizontal pressure with the 3/4 is insignificant unless your crank is made out of tin...your puller tip greased and the threads on the puller threaded into clutch...the clutch and crank pressure is opposing on strickly horizontal plane...there is no harmful issues imo

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
The impact gun can twist the crank. Next time use the grease on the tip of the puller as-well-as the threads. A breaker bar, and a mallet to strike the puller with (hit with light-medium force).
I'll have to try the water/teflon suggestion.

Premium Features