• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Build up edge chassis or just buy a pro?

Currently ride a 2004 edge 700 151x2. Has a MBRP can, boss seat, snow eliminator boards, just little aftermarket things like that. It pulls hard, runs 8000rpm on the dot pulling 10-62s in the primary, 19-41 gearing, not to sure on what helix I have in there.

Never had a issue with the thing except in deep powder it bogs which I found it needed some SLP flowrites and some frog skinz over the pre-filters on the hood as it wasnt getting enough air.
I ride a lot of trees, technical lines. Thought about throwing a 166 out of a 900IQ, throwing a SLP kit on there, bit taller riser, H&H boards, and just modding it up a bit. Love the sled, I have no issue throwing that thing around but after a day of riding with brand new pros I am just exhausted.

So just looking at peoples opinion. I demoed a pro the other week, liked it but 13g is alot of money for a hobby.

Keeping in mind that I am not new to snowmobiling, nor am I new to fabricating, machining, and wrenching (Owned a 95 skidoo 670 for 2 years before my polaris :p)

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
The modern Pro model is what your sled with all its add-ons evolved into. Rider forward, thought controlled maneuverability, instant acceleration, etc. By the way, riding the snogos is not a hobby with some of us, but a lifestyle - which at times spares no costs. 550iq

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
I have the same sled as you and have done the same mods + some. Add mods, remove, do different mods and so on. It is dialed now and runs great. A tractor in the snow! But the fact of the matter is you no matter how many light weight parts you add or power upgrades you make you will never get the handling in the trees you can get out of any of the new sleds. Why buy new? You can find new hold overs or used sleds with low miles and still under warranty. Keep your edge for a spare. Ride hard on the new one for an entire day then switch to your edge for a day of hard riding. My money is you run back to the trailer half way thru the day. I feel your pain. Love my edge but a week on a new chassis is much easier on the body. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
If you are having an issue with the cost of the PRO RMK. I would recommend getting or making an IQR conversion. THAT is the sled that the PRO is based on, geometry wise. The PRO is a bit lighter but the IQR conversions are bullet proof and very ridable like the PRO. Your current engine and a few other parts will bolt right in. IQR rollers are fairly plentiful and fairly cheap. I'll have three IQR conversions for sale next winter but i'm in Alaska. Shipping is about $1500 to get them stateside. If you want more details PM me.

O
Aug 22, 2009
Littleton
Ride until it has exhausted its life cycle. My 03' RMX will still keep up with the newer sleds. Sure some of its the indian and not the arrow. But that saying goes both ways too.

I
Nov 26, 2007
I went from a built edge to a pro. I miss 200hp on the deep days but never miss the edge chassis. Buy a used pro and mod it later

Just a update. Bought a 2014 pro rmk 800, 155" track. was the dealer demo, 400miles on it, 3 years warranty, service package. came with electric start and a couple other little goodies like a gas can rack and handgaurds (which I ripped off as soon as I got it home). Keeping the edge for friends and family to ride and as a spare. I know everyone that rode the sled when it was demoed as I am friends with the dealer and its still mint except a couple scratches on the side panels. Still like the edge. Just ordered a bunch of performance parts from SLP this morning for it :)

Premium Features