• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best way to pollish aluminum

Z

zr600cce

Sep 20, 2008
Omaha, Ne
I would recommend the smaller of the two mothers balls. They hold together a lot better, or at least they have for me when you start getting the running boards. Of course thats just for applying it, nothing better than a little elbow grease for wiping the polish off.

I've been told that you can wet sand the aluminum with fine sand paper and then polish it but I don't have the nuts to try and put sandpaper to my sled until I've seen how it's done in person.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I found "what a shine" to work quite a bit better than Mothers, and a QUALITY buffing wheel will make things alot easier, depending on what you are polishing.

H

harper

Dec 16, 2007
manitoba
Ive used Mothers polish and powerball , it worked alright but i still had to hand polish the hell out of it to get the shine. those running boards take skin off knuckles quick.

Not sure if it was worth it really, looked great until it got dirty first time out.

S

Snocross 100

Oct 6, 2008
Im doing another one right now and what works best 4 me is the mothers ball mini and turtle wax rubbing compound and then mothers wax! I do it in a 5 step process. 1.clean with simple green. 2.buff in the rubbing compound with a rag and elbow grease (to get the majority of the grime off) and then with the power ball 3.buff off with a clean rag. 4.repeat step 2 with the wax. 5. buff to a mirror like shine and once a month i wax with a rag to keep it that way!

K

knuts82

Dec 12, 2007
Bismarck ND
jewlers juice and a buffer, looks like chrime takes about 5 min... you can find it at an auto paint supplier..

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
the aluminum cant be scratched or oxidized, if it is then wet sanding is the way to go. Depending on the size and depth of the scratches determines the grit. start out with around 220 for big scratches, youll find out that you will end up with NO LESS than 600 for final but 1000 will smooth it right out in the end if you have done all your prior steps correctly. Then finish with a smooth polishing paste or a liquid. Jewlers rouge works great for final polishing, if you need a bit more "cutting" but dont wanna wet sand use "tripoli" polishing block pastes.

elbow grease is pretty much the only way to do it right.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
you guys need help, i love to ride the beauty queen too but after 2500 mountain miles a year she's going to look like a three dollar hooker at the end of the season. but if your talking about "trailer queens" i can see the need for the wax:beer;:beer;

SAWYER

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2006
Kingston Idaho
mother's polish and powerball

DSCN4272.jpg

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
mothers, powerball and a lot of love...

000_0249.jpg

i wash, wax, polish mine after everyride. that way it can be a trailer queen again until the next ride:)

Last edited:
Premium Features