• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best mods for XP?? handling?? power??

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
I have the Hill Climb Edition with the 4 wheel axel and the wide front end. I put the quick disconnect on the sway bar and have no problem sidhilling or carving the powder. My personal thought is the sway bar on the XP is WAY to stiff.

Agreed. The best and cheapest handling mod is to simply remove the swaybar. Stiffen up your front shocks though.

W

will

Mar 16, 2008
Calgary
rolling over xp

Rolling over the XP takes techic, you should be able to turn as tight as any other sled of the same length, side hill or spin a donut with a stock XP, no problem, save your money.

How ever it's my opinion that if the snow is shallow or hard the Artic Cats and Nytros are easier. I know guys that just plain don't like how the Ski Doos handle but, my opinion is that it's all in ones head.

If you want to lay your sled over and burn a donut try this simotaniosly:

Stand with your feet a little ahead of or close to middle (your size and snow conditions may vary this) hit the throttle, counter steer, pull it over and as soon as you get it starting to roll over, quickly couch down with shifting you feet and lean into it and commit and keep it pinned. Hang on and ride it like you stole it, it's all about balance!

Two week ends ago I taught a 50+ year old guy and his daughter to burn donuts in 20 minutes.

If you think you can do it, you will, don't give up.

Good luck, Will.

W

will

Mar 16, 2008
Calgary
Roll over

Oh I forgot, take your sway bar off but, once you get this techic down you should be able to roll it over and do donuts with it on but hang on because if you screw it up it will spit you off forcefully.

Will

TFA

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
WA State
I am on my 3rd XP 800 - 2 x's and 1 Everest and have had a few different mods. I also ride with a group of guys who also have xp's and I have had a chance to see what works in our sleds. Here is my opinion on what you could do to YOUR sled to get your best bang for your buck. For more power go with an SLP (or other brand) hi comp head. You don't seem to get alot out of the Single Pipe, or Y - pipe over the stock from what I have seen. I like the weight savings and tone of the hps CAN. Much lighter and sounds Bad AZZ compared to the SLP can. This is important because if it sounds like its going fast it will FEEL like it it Haulin' AZZ. Anyway, For deep powder riding I think the SLP air intake is a big help, and for vents you can find great deals here on this site just look around. If you are an agressive rider I would look to get the X model windshield for your Everest. Much better for rolling your sled over. Just find somone who bought an x for his wife and trade them winshields and consoles, then you won't have the holes in your console. For track speed I would suggest the Roosterbuilt kit. Comes with a 20T top gear and you will loose some top end speed, but it does hold consistent RPM's and makes a little more track speed than stock, I like the way it works. As far as having trouble laying it over install the swaybar disconnect. It is so easy to remove when you get off the trail into the powder, and just as quick and easy to put it back on if you want to haul ballz down the trail. It is only 4 inches long and I just keep it in my pocket, (Just like TFA does with his 4 inch TOOL). With this off the XP will lean over as easy as any sled out there. I rode in McCall with a bunch of locals last week with a large group mainly all on new M sleds. They were all commenting on how they thought my xp carved on a dime and layed over so effortlessly.

SLP Head
HPS can
SLP Air intake
Vents
X windshield
Roosterbuilt Clutch kit
sway bar disconnect
4 inch TOOL? Big hands make everything they are holding look smaller. The only real mod needed is a Papa Smurf sticker...

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Sask...just take 1 bolt out of the link and it's disconected....for free. Or replace one side (both bolts) with quick release pins to remove the link quickly. No need to disconect more than 1 side.

D
Dec 5, 2008
Lookout pass
My friend did the engine tech thermostat housing on his - lets you run a 120 degree stat off an '03 HO, opposed to the 140 degree that's on the xp's now. He noticed a big difference in sustained power on long pulls and multiple consecutive laps at a hill, runs the cooling system before the engine heat fades so badly. I'll be doing one to mine soon too, makes total sense. Otherwise I don't think there are any real great bolt on power adders for the xp, you can do a head if you want to run 94 octane and maybe see improvements in power, maybe in the mid range maybe on the top end, it doesn't seem to be a guarantee. A vent kit, an additional air intake, a can for weight savings and cool sound - otherwise just a proper set up is all the xp needs to totally rip.

nate

Are these parts available to bolt on the xp's.Or do you have to fabricate anything to use the 120 themostat?

K
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
I can't resist the prices being offered right now so I am knocking around the idea of trading in my '06 Summit X for an XP Everest 154".

I am hesitating a little because I rode an XP earlier this year and it seemed to take a little more effort to lay it over or pull a doughnut. :confused:
I have heard from guys that say after the learning curve it hands down the best handling sled they have ridden.
Others have said that they hated it. I know one guy who sold his sled at a huge loss with 250 miles because he could not figure it out.

Let's hear your opinions.

Also I can't leave anything stock so I'm just wondering what mods are best:face-icon-small-ton, in this order.
suspension (shocks, stiffer springs...)
handling (ski's, big wheel kits, risers...)
Clutching (Dynamo Joe kits??...)
motor (heads, exhaust, big bores...)

Thanks in advance.

I'm buying the everest instead of the X because I want to upgrade the schocks so no sense paying for the TA shocks.
Dynoport y-pipe/tuned pipe/and silencer. COGO air box kit.

S
Aug 20, 2008
North Idaho
Here's a list of mods I did on mine to produce one hell of a sled.
- Throw sway bar in trash, or use it for a clutch alignment tool
- Remove useless plastic under hood and place tool kit under seat
- Fox floats up front
- Nextech fox float kit for rear to ditch springs
- Remove the four idler wheels from rear skid
- Inside wheel kit
- HPS Silencer

This sled is for sale btw . . . I found one I like better:beer;

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
cut that useless plastic crap off the outside of the skiis where the outter wear bar susposed to be, Makes it side hill better and doesn't drag on crusty snow.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
To the wimpy little azzhat that red repped me saying that "XPs can't carve", I will be HAPPY to carve circles around you all day, uphill, downhill and in the trees!

Sign your rep and go put your bra back on. Obviously you have no balls!

D
Nov 20, 2005
my xp sidehilled with half throttle to full throttle what ever i wanted in 3 feet of snow .......this sled carves so nice at times i feel like i turn it inside a dime...........it will do what ever u want it to do........right now im brainstorming a proto type windshield for my xp ....154 thinking how i can get a 8 foot windshield attached; to the sled for when im in conditions like iwas in today in the snowies the sled just went through every thing i through at it......pushing powder way over windshield 15 -20 out in front of me ......its like the sled has a tractor gear and it gets in a zone when i n super deep ...........amen

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
I have the Hill Climb Edition with the 4 wheel axel and the wide front end. I put the quick disconnect on the sway bar and have no problem sidhilling or carving the powder. My personal thought is the sway bar on the XP is WAY to stiff.

X2, you are right. IMHO it's the sway bar that hurts the sidehilling and carving.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Enginetech.com has taken care of the fabrication, you just need to do the install. Should be about 300 bucks including the '03 thermostat purchase from doo.

nate

Just get rid of the T-stat, and put a couple pvc T/elbows to replace. I removed mine, and my temps are around 90-100 degrees in powder. On the trail i am running around 100-140 degrees. My temps never drop below 90 and never get higher than 140. Save your money and just get rid of the T-stat altogether. My machine runs flawlessly with this simle cheap mod.

Premium Features