• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt Deflection 09 hcr

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
instructions

posted on another post by m8magicandmystery

DRIVE BELT DEFLECTION
Drive belt length, condition, and deflection are all
important for peak performance. To check and adjust
drive belt deflection, use the following procedure.
1. Turn the engine off; then open the access panel.
2. Make sure the drive belt is sitting at the top of the
driven pulley sheaves
3. Place a straightedge on top of the drive belt. The
straightedge should reach from the drive clutch to
the top of the driven pulley.
4. Using a stiff ruler centered between the drive
clutch and driven pulley, push down on the drive
belt just enough to remove all slack. Note the
amount of deflection on the ruler at the bottom of
the straightedge. The deflection should be at
31 mm (1 1/4 in.).
741-464A

��NOTE: Push down on the belt with the ruler only
until the bottom of the belt flexes upward; then
read the amount of deflection.

5. To correct drive belt deflection, remove the sheave
adjuster from the pulley, remove or add shim
washers to the adjuster, and install the adjuster.
��NOTE: Adding shim washers will decrease belt
deflection; removing shim washers will increase
belt deflection.
��NOTE: If the drive belt deflection is above specifications,
the snowmobile will bog and lack power at
clutch engagement. For good performance, proper
belt deflection is critical

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
i set the deflection as tight as i can get it without it squeeling at idle the tighter your deflection the longer your belt last the better your side pressure and the better your clutches shift imo

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
yep

I believe my low end bog is something in the clutches. Someone mentioned changing a bearing!! I'm a gas and go, and never have payed attention to the mechanic side of any of my sleds, other than the minor stuff, damnit.

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
I believe my low end bog is something in the clutches. Someone mentioned changing a bearing!! I'm a gas and go, and never have payed attention to the mechanic side of any of my sleds, other than the minor stuff, damnit.

a blet thats too loose is like starting off in a higher gear could be that simple

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
I have likes and dislikes with the bdx adjuster.
Likes... Easy to adjust. (If you have an adjuster tool which is not included in the kit.)
Dislikes... Metal to metal contact while adjusting, and also the fact that if you use the adjuster to remove the belt, you have to re-adjust deflection.
Once the stock one is set to a good belt, forget about it.

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
I have likes and dislikes with the bdx adjuster.
Likes... Easy to adjust. (If you have an adjuster tool which is not included in the kit.)
Dislikes... Metal to metal contact while adjusting, and also the fact that if you use the adjuster to remove the belt, you have to re-adjust deflection.
Once the stock one is set to a good belt, forget about it.

My exact feeling on the BDX adjuster, desided to keep the stock setup for my 09. I have my adjuster for sale if interested.

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
shims

If I add a shim, will it be noticable right away? I don't have a ruler, but the belt is damn loose by just pushing down on it. It looks like almost two inches.

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
so

So, i replaced one shim with the thicker one, and thats all that can fit on there. Is that right? Adding shim decreases deflection!! hmm. Any help.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Make sure you rotate the complete drivetrain on a stand or drive it. This will allow the belt to ride up in the sheves. Just throwing on the shim isnt goint to reveal the changes made, unless everything unloads. If I remember right you can put both shims on if needed.

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
i just put the BDX on mine and not sure if i like it or not either. handy forsure but while replacing belt tough to turn and lots of aluminum grindings falling onto belly pan. I bet if yuou did it enough it would wear something out

D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
Montana, I also saw the aluminum shavings when I used the BDX adjuster. It also scared the face of my secondary when I turned it. My buddys BDX adjuster bound up in the secondary and he ended up having to cut the face off in order to get it out. He called BDX and they knew of this and said that some BDX adjusters threads were hanging up in the secondary. It was almost like either they didn't cut the threads deep enough or they didn't clean them up before sending them out. I also had another issue with my adjuster. I had 2 different occasions where the Hex bolt came loose, I verified the bolt was torqued to 32ftlbs too. The bold BDX supplys is also shorter than the OEM bolt. In my view the OEM deflection works just fine. I got differnet thickness shims and I'm good to go.

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
hmm

I hope I did this right!!! The adjuster is under the cap correct, after you take the bolt out. The belt was loose, so I replaced a smaller shim with a larger on, correct. The track almosts spins slowly at idle now. I believe those nine bolts you mentioned were recalled. Tim

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
thanks Aktreekiller. I figured out what a retard i am and found the shim after opening my book. Duh. i ordered 18 bolts and going to fix it next week.
thanks I did the same thing you did. changed the small shim out with the big one

Last edited:

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
changing the shims out with the big one and tightening belt deflection made a huge improvement in the way the sled runs off the bottom yesterday.

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
yep

I rode her today pretty hard, and the clutch engages alot better, but my bog is still there. It just dosen't want to go right off the line, but the mid and high end will flip you over. So frustratin!!! She sure does like to fly, and the bars took a beating(stomoch),and there still in one piece. Its going back to the dealer to hopefully get some answers. Is it just the sled, efi. I let someone else ride it, and he said its normal. He told me to just keep it pinned. Tim

B
Nov 26, 2007
im no expert here but could your low end bog have anything to do with your Fuel System. Maybe your to Rich down low. Im getting a Pure Logic Box to help get my sled a bit more dailed in. Its just a shot in the dark.

Btw are you still Trenching tim. I know how to fix it. Pm me.

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
alot of m's dont like to sit and idle too much they load up a bit and cause low end bogs. also check your oil timing marks ive seen this cause some greif but is usually obvious with more smoke then usual also check your fuel pressure AC has something like a 3-4lbs variance in fuel pressure from the factory yours could be a little on the high side

Premium Features