• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P22 belt deflection

P

pj8556

Jan 11, 2008
God's country
Im aware of the bearing in the p22 that is said to eliminate the need for adjusting belt deflection but as it is (with new belt) I think the deflection should be tighter (belt should ride higher in the secondary sheaves) can I simply add a bolt and nut into the secondary do tighten secondary without causing problems with the p22? thanks!

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Im aware of the bearing in the p22 that is said to eliminate the need for adjusting belt deflection but as it is (with new belt) I think the deflection should be tighter (belt should ride higher in the secondary sheaves) can I simply add a bolt and nut into the secondary do tighten secondary without causing problems with the p22? thanks!
With no deflection bolt, the Secondary is as closed as it can be..... the belt is riding as high as it will go.

If you installed a bolt and opened the sheaves... the belt would ride LOWER.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
How high does your belt ride? Should be about 1/8” above the secondary and the belt should be quite tight.

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
not really what this is about but kind of is....we have been putting deflection bolts back in the TSS to get them balanced!!!! most if not all the TSS Boost secondaries have lots of balancing holes OPPOSITE of where the deflection bolt should be...thus way out of balance...Soon as I put the bolt in gets closer to balance....Plus it allows you some adjustment if needed..

D
Nov 17, 2008
not really what this is about but kind of is....we have been putting deflection bolts back in the TSS to get them balanced!!!! most if not all the TSS Boost secondaries have lots of balancing holes OPPOSITE of where the deflection bolt should be...thus way out of balance...Soon as I put the bolt in gets closer to balance....Plus it allows you some adjustment if needed..
You are making no sense. If polaris drilled holes opposite the adjustment hole to compenste for removing bolt (makes since) then putting a bolt back in will throw the balance off !

509_Colton

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 30, 2012
Yakima wa
More likely every secondary is balanced with the bolt in place then removed if going going to be mated to a p22. Thus out of balance without it

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
You are making no sense. If polaris drilled holes opposite the adjustment hole to compenste for removing bolt (makes since) then putting a bolt back in will throw the balance off !
they can't drill enough!! thats my point...do you think that alum removed weights the same as the bolt? that bolts is 1.25 long with a jamb nut...Plus they designed this clutch with the bolt IN, if you look at the inside of the fixed sheave it has a counter balance block of alum cast into the clutch!!! our website shows a video of all this...www.patrickcustomcarbon.com

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I wish Polaris would have started the self adjusting deflection 20 some odd years ago. I remember after getting out of the military and coming home to buy my first new Cat and I was standing there watching my cousin and uncle adjust their belt deflection on their Polaris's. My brother and I are watching them and I ask, "What are they doing?" "Why are they doing that." "Do I have to do that to mine?". To which my brothers response was to keep looking at them and just wrap up the conversation with, "We don't have to worry about that, ours is automatic" and he was right, we never had to worry about deflection. That was back in the mid to late 90's. It the one eye roller to me coming back to snowmobiling and switching to Polaris that they are just now going to automatic adjust with the P22. One credit I'll give cat other than the use of the Willwood brakes back in the 90s' was that the primary clutches were solid and their secondary was really good to.

I only made my secondary better by adding a Hi-Tech Performance encapsulated Roller that used a lot of the same parts except helix, spring and rollers needed to be swapped out. (I'm not sure if the company is still solvent or producing since I think Duane passed away about the time of the last updates on their site.) http://www.hitechperformance-net.websinmind.com/#/

Premium Features