• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BDX lite drive

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
Anyone having issues with breaking a BDX lite drive? I had an older diamond drive in a Rev race chassis and did lots of jumping and never had any durability issues. Looking to put a BDX Lite drive in another sled if they're holding up. BDX's site claims they hold up to over 350 HP. I'll only be running about 150 HP with a lot jumping thrown in.

Thanks

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
My cover cracked in this spot, somehow it leaked all the oil out and grenaded the shims in the planetary which in turn wiped out all the bearings. All the gears seemed fine minus the spot below in the planetary ring gear. Sent it back for warranty (they insisted on seeing it despite my detailed breakdown pictures) and got told that I probably hit something with my secondary clutch to cause such a crack in the cover. No warranty but a small price break on new guts. Never did see my old parts back either.

But on the positive side of things,

It is much lighter.
Less moving parts than the reverse models,
Which means they are cheaper and easier to rebuild than the reverse models.
It has a dipstick.
I rode it 1000 miles before it kicked the bucket.
The stock one didn't last more than 200 miles.
AND when you do order from them, you can pick your gear ratio to better suit your style of riding-- IE: to stay away from the 60-60 gear ratio. It's bad when teeth always mesh together at the same spot.

It would be nice to see a billet case, even though it would weight a bit more. Fellas would surely pay some cash for that (me).

P1020143.jpg P1020149.jpg P1020157.jpg

Last edited:

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Ya, that crack looks like a stress crack, with the direction and location possibly from not torqueing the bolts evenly. Seems kind of weird though cause that's the cover.

M
Dec 16, 2007
montana
My cover cracked in this spot, somehow it leaked all the oil out and grenaded the shims in the planetary which in turn wiped out all the bearings. All the gears seemed fine minus the spot below in the planetary ring gear. Sent it back for warranty (they insisted on seeing it despite my detailed breakdown pictures) and got told that I probably hit something with my secondary clutch to cause such a crack in the cover. No warranty but a small price break on new guts. Never did see my old parts back either.

My cover broke in the exact same spot on my 05 m7. Ruined one drive before i found it. You could barely see the crack on the outside, it wasn't until i took it apart that I found the crack on the inside of the case. I know mine wasn't from being torqued wrong because i'm very careful when i put it together. There has to be something else that is doing it. I think that the secondary is torquing the case and cracking it.

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
There are only two issues that cause the cover to crack in the area around the input bearing that we have diagnosed in the 6 years of developement. First if the secondary clutch is slightly out of balance it will set up a harmonic vibration that is not easily detected while running the sled due to other vibrations in the running gear ( track, trackshaft, motor, belt, etc;) that causes the aluminum to fatigue around the input bearing area, then resulting in cracking, eventually breaking out. The other reason is once the 10.4 clutch was used the clearance from the bellpan and driven clutch was reduced causing the bellypan to hit the secondary under when impacted from below causing the cover of the gear box to absorb the impact. This is usually indicated by the crack to start in the lower part of the bearing area of the cover. When clutchs are taken apart make sure that the DIAMOND cast into each of the sheeves are directly in line with each other when assembled.

Ray

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
My BDX lite drive has works great for 1200 Miles or so. I have had no problems at all.

Jason

Premium Features