• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone able to weld Magnesium

C
Mar 9, 2009
Swift Current, Sk
Well I guess it happened to me too. I have had my chaincase apart numerous times for track change etc. Whenever I had the reverse bolt out I made sure to use lot's of red loctite and torqued the bolt up to spec. The bolt never broke on me but it backed itself out and the C-clip had pushed itself out of the way. Anyways just felt I had to vent about this. Are there aftermarket chaincase covers out there? Is there anything I should do different next time I put it together? Any good place to buy a stock chaincase cover? What should I be expecting to pay for a cover in Canada?
Thanks guys. Hope these pics work.

Iphone mar.8.12 006.jpg Iphone mar.8.12 007.jpg Iphone mar.8.12 005.jpg Iphone mar.8.12 004.jpg

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Ebay. Highly doubt anyone is making this in aftermarket, really no reason for it. Breakage of this cover is uncommon.

Last edited:
T

towerrigger

Jul 9, 2008
Exact same thing happened to me this year. My cover didn't break off as big of a chunk. Just the bolt head pushed through. I bought a used one through Laneo over on TY. I think I paid 140 for it. I did fill the hole with JB weld, Haven't tried it yet but seems really solid. You may want to replace all the bearings within the chain case. I just replaced bearings on my new/used cover and it would howl pretty good. I ended up replacing all the bearings and chain. Give Lane a try, he may have one on hand.

http://rx1parts.1freecart.com/

T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
Clean it really good and JB weld it. There isn't any pressure and all you really need to do is keep the fluid inside the cover. This isn't a structual piece.JMO

Laneo should be able to get you a replacement if JB worries you.

C
Mar 9, 2009
Swift Current, Sk
Right on thanks guys, seriously considering the JB weld trick. Just trying to decide if I'm being too cheap and I should just go buy a new piece. Any idea's on how to keep the bolt from backing out again?
Thanks

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
you can tig weld it. ER5356 tig rod, piece of cake! Having the broken piece thats half the battle!!!

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
you can tig weld it. ER5356 tig rod, piece of cake! Having the broken piece thats half the battle!!!

I personally have welded a fair amount of the Polaris magnesium chain cases. It is no problem to TIG weld them back together, I was cutting off the heavy brake mount and welding ears on for Willwoods Dyna-lite caliper. Used the extra material for filler. I personally would not use the aluminum filler wire mentioned above unless it is actually a Al-Mag alloy.

C
Mar 9, 2009
Swift Current, Sk
Cool cool, well I think I'm going to haul it down to the local machine shop and see what the can do for me. If not then I'm headed down to Peavy Mart to get a couple tubes of JB and maybe some Silicon just for good measure. I'll post results on how this all turns out.
Thanks.

Premium Features