• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any Machinists/Welders on here?

Im going to be going to school for machine tool in the fall and was just curious to see how many other machinists or welders are on this forum, and also if you work for yourself in your own shop or work for someone else. So lets here ya.

Powder Pro

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
i took a machining class this spring. just a baisic metals/mechining class. was really cool but the teacher sucked and we didnt have enough time to do much. i know a michinist and he has done some cool stuff!!!!!!!!!!!! he used to build custom racing heads and engines. look up 2xm3 on here. he is a frikin genious!

S
Nov 26, 2007
Hutchinson, MN
Machinist here...... I got to build a bunch of stuff for the new Mars Rover for NASA last summer. That was pretty cool. Everything is CNC these days so make sure you go down that route. I work for someone else. Its pretty hard to start a shop these days, cause all of the EXPENSIVE equipment you need to buy. The machines I work with are $500,000 a piece!:eek:

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
Self employed, Bro and I own a shop have 7 people here, Lot's of CNC stuff and stamping. I weld a little, Send 95% of it out though.

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
Both Machinist and Welder dont do to much of it anymore got into design and that much more interesting. I do like going in back and maching up some parts as long as it for my own stuff.

Sno-x what maching shop you work for in the cities.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
I am a machinist for a large aerospace company... Been here for 9 years.
If I were you, I would get a feel for what area you want to go in to, and scope out the local job market.
I went through a machine tool program in colege... It was helpful, but our company hires some people with no experience, and everything is very easy to learn on the job, and most companies will require some training... GD&T, Sho match, Blueprint training, etc.
School can definately be helpful, but If a degree is not required, school is not always neccesary or cost effective.
School may just be for general machining knowledge... Chances are you will work with different machines, controlers and have to learn the machines you run once hired.
My .02

Thanks guys, ya I have been working for my uncle in his welding shop for 4 or 5 months and really like doing all the welding and that sort of thing, but I figured you could do so much more with it if you knew how to machine your own parts. Looking forward to learning more about it.

Powder Pro

I am a machinist for a large aerospace company... Been here for 9 years.
If I were you, I would get a feel for what area you want to go in to, and scope out the local job market.
I went through a machine tool program in colege... It was helpful, but our company hires some people with no experience, and everything is very easy to learn on the job, and most companies will require some training... GD&T, Sho match, Blueprint training, etc.
School can definately be helpful, but If a degree is not required, school is not always neccesary or cost effective.
School may just be for general machining knowledge... Chances are you will work with different machines, controlers and have to learn the machines you run once hired.
My .02
Need a mobile welder for a boat trailer. Anyone?

Premium Features