• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Almost September time to MAINTAIN sleds

D
Jan 6, 2014
OHIO
Bought mine last fall 2002 Classic 700 1,800 miles. Put in about 550 over winter. GOnna check bogies, hyfax, drain gear oil, tighten chain. Carbs were cleaned good last year as thy froze up once. What should I be lubing?:rapture:

D
Jan 6, 2014
OHIO
did blow a belt last year and damage bottom

but I covered it with galvanized metal and riveted it. will probably silicone it as some cracks may let in snow by belt. :face-icon-small-fro

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I'd go through the carbs again just because. Its not about the miles you've put on since you cleaned em its more about the time it sat over the summer without flowing fuel. The gas varnishes and plugs orifices
Then when they are out you can better reach the bottom steering post greasert too. Other greaserts on ski mount bolt, on the spindle, rear suspension upper and lower front arm, and the rear scissor assembly there should be three or better. A couple more behind the secondary and down on the speedo pickup
Fuel filters are pretty cheap too
I'd check belt alignment from a gernaded belt, you may have a bad motor mount

Last edited:
D
Jan 6, 2014
OHIO
guy had wrong belt in it when I got it

then bought wrong one as I looked at it and not he manual. took it back but Polaris dealer was out- since going to MI I bought a diff rand- worked MUCH better. did grease steering when I had carbs off in mid winter. They froze one day before trip! worked entire day on it. FLoat was stuck so al gas in tank flowed through carb into engine AND muffler system. Did not know that- would not start- had to take out plugs, pull start to shoot all gas out of engine. then it started with new plugs, BUT! gas was flowing out exhaust! Had to take off muffler and dump about 1/2 gallon of gas out of it! Wow that was dangerous. but it ran fine 3 days in MI

Premium Features